Thread: Help Wanted (and greatly appreciated)!

Help Wanted (and greatly appreciated)!

Hi all!

Treeleaf is budding some new leaves and we are in need of some folks versed well in phpBB(what we use here for the forum), MySQL (the database here). We are looking at a fresh face for the forum, not only in design - Which a very kind chocobuda has been actively helping out with design(a wonderful new logo and color scheme), along with providing a testing ground -er which I blew up already - thus this post , but organization, more relevant information coming to the foreground and removing the old flash landing page and providing something that is more suited as a gateway to the zendo - basically a phpBB web interface that has has all the key Treeleaf info for visiting folks to learn about Treeleaf.

Changes such as a multiple column forum interface (TBD) a refreshed theme and perhaps a couple of new features to Treeleaf.

I encourage anyone who can to lend what help they can here. If you have the skills it would be greatly appreciated if we could use them here!
    I am a great shade tree mechanic but I have no background in the backend of things and I often cause more harm than good!

Treeleaf does not ask for money however Dana in the the form of lending a hand and some time is always welcome! (as well as the the other recommend forms of Dana posted already, of course )
    If you can help please post it here, pm or email me, shohei@treeleaf.org!

Photo on 2011-04-04 at 11.43 by d.lenentine, on Flickr

Gassho
    Shohei

Re: Help Wanted (and greatly appreciated)!

Hello Shohei,

Regrettably, I've got no experience with either sql or php. However, if the need arises, I could always dust off my java and help that way (it's a little on the decrepit side at the moment).

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

As alwasy I am willing to help!

I didn't know about the test site. Do you want me to reset it?

About the Flash stuff I can help too. :mrgreen:

Chocobuda,

I am a graphic designer too so if you want some feedback or help with ideas, let me know and I would be happy to assist!

Thanks,
    Jodi

Nindo

I'm a tester (among other things). I usually manage to crash something pretty efficiently if it doesn't work. :twisted:
    I understand html and css, but probably not the more fancier stuff.

I know this seems like a small matter, but could we see the new logo?
    It's going to represent us all.

As a former combat soldier and current chef, there's probably not much I can add... but I'm creative and a halfway decent writer, so, if there's any way I can help I'm willing.

With words like this:
    flash landing page and providing something that is more suited as a gateway to the zendo - basically a phpBB web interface
    And this:
    Changes such as a multiple column forum interface (TBD)
    I am certainly underqualified to even attempt to help on the tech part! If there is any other way to offer assistance please let me know.

Gassho,
    John

10 REM * * * BAD BASIC JOKE * * *
    20 PRINT "SORRY . . . "
    30 PRINT "MY KNOWLEDGE OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE IS A TOUCH OUT OF DATE."

RUN

Hey Shohei, I don't know PHP (yet). I code in Java regularly, and I also interface with Databases quite frequently. I've set up a local instance of MySQL before, and I use it to test an application that stores its data on the backend. I'm not a MySQL expert persay, but what help did you need? Do you have it installed anywhere yet? I'm very fluent in SQL, and the MySQL Gui tools, it makes life easier

I am very busy as of late; with work and studying. I do not say that to deflect, I just don't know if you have a quick implementation timeline . Please PM me with more details.

Gassho,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    I know this seems like a small matter, but could we see the new logo?
    It's going to represent us all.
    Well, we can't show you yet our SUPER TOP SECRET new logo, but this was the second candidate ...

So, please be patient. Anyway, what really "represents us all" is named Karl from New Jersey! 8)

Gassho, J

disastermouse

I have no practical skill related to programming - I wish I could help. That said, it will be interesting to see the refreshed site!

Chet

I too have zero skills, but the project sounds exciting, look forward to seeing the new look, and thanks ahead to all those who invest their work.
    Gassho ~Hogo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    20 PRINT "SORRY . . . "

RUN
    Jennifer, that is so funny! I'm old enought to know what you are talking about! Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    20 PRINT "SORRY . . . "

RUN
    HAHAHA I totally began my programming knowledge with code like this! I love it!

I've been director of operations for a large online forum for several years. The tech director had the PHP and MySQL expertise, but I have overseen several major forum redesign projects, built several help pages and indexes, and created the recruitment & training policies & procedures for volunteer moderators.

If any component of that skill-set would be useful (and there's more in there I'm forgetting, probably!), I'm happy to help out.

Thank you to you all for replying! Many hands make light work...and a less insane Shohei (slightly)
    If you think you can help at all then let me know... if your not sure...mwhahaha test subjects!!

E X C E L L E N T !

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi Shohei,
    I know nothing about technology (except that it is evil and we will be punished for it!). Only joking.

If I can help in any other way (test subject, etc), please let me know.

Gassho
    Soen

I wish I had the skill level to help, but I am an old hardware tech and have no code skills what so ever.

I cannot wait to see the new site! This is exciting! :!:

Hi Shohai

Really wish I could help, but I have difficulty at times just turning on the computer much less understanding how it all works. Speaking of lack of computer skills, may I make a suggestion? I am not sure exactly what you folks are doing in redesigning Treeleaf site but here is what I have had difficulty with even though it has been answered numerous times, I keep loosing the location of the answers, Can you add a “technical aid” section that pulls together all the little frustrating things,
    1. How do you attach a picture to a post that fits? I find it is either too big or way too small.
    2. How do you pull a quote from another post and put it in your response. I see everyone doing it but I can’t figure it out.
    3. How do you create a small picture to add to your profile? I do have the web site for that thanks to Chet, but someone else may find it useful.
    4. Is there a spell check feature on the area where we post things? I am dyslectic and never could spell. Word is my savior, but it is time consuming to write something in word and then paste it into the comment space on Treeleaf.
    Can’t think of anything more at the moment but others may be silently frustrated and
    Could add subjects that they would like to have answered but too embarrassed to ask.

Appreciate your diving into this. Treeleaf site certainly has evolved over the years, and probably it is time to reorganize all the good things that are there.

Jim

Really wish I could help, but I have difficulty at times just turning on the computer much less understanding how it all works.

Thank you for the Thought!

Speaking of lack of computer skills, may I make a suggestion? I am not sure exactly what you folks are doing in redesigning Treeleaf site but here is what I have had difficulty with even though it has been answered numerous times, I keep loosing the location of the answers, Can you add a “technical aid” section that pulls together all the little frustrating things,
    Well there is the older FAQ at the bottom of the treeleaf forum but its dated (and yes somethings are in the works to bring a more up to date, easy to use technical aid.
    I also will reply as best I can to each question below, so that for the time being, I can alleviate some of the frustrations!

1. How do you attach a picture to a post that fits? I find it is either too big or way too small.

That requires working in an image edit program or uploading your image to a image host (that will allow resizing automatically)
    That said too large can be fixed. Too small... cannot. You can always scale down picture but a picture that is too small cannot be increased in size while keeping clarity.

2. How do you pull a quote from another post and put it in your response. I see everyone doing it but I can’t figure it out.

When you read persons posts look to the right hand side of the post, (in line with the posts subject) there is a button icon that says Quote:

Failing that if you write
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim bob
    HE SAID THIS
    it will look like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim bob
    HE SAID THIS
    There is also a button when you are writing a post titled quote that if you click it it gives you the two things in square brackets and you can just put in the first set the ="so and so's name"

3. How do you create a small picture to add to your profile? I do have the web site for that thanks to Chet, but someone else may find it useful.

Yes there are some sites (the faq is old and the ones listed there may no longer work. Often an image hosting site like flikr automatically creates a 75x75 pixel thumbnail of your picture you up loaded there, and it works great as an avatar!

4. Is there a spell check feature on the area where we post things? I am dyslectic and never could spell. Word is my savior, but it is time consuming to write something in word and then paste it into the comment space on Treeleaf.

^^ That is actually a very good way to spell check and THINK check Do not stop doing that
    That said, spell check is dependent on your web browser and/or Operating system. I am very much like you, and have the spell checker enabled on my web browser (using Firefox for the record, but most have the feature, you may have to turn it on in the settings)

Can’t think of anything more at the moment but others may be silently frustrated and
    Could add subjects that they would like to have answered but too embarrassed to ask.

Appreciate your diving into this. Treeleaf site certainly has evolved over the years, and probably it is time to reorganize all the good things that are there.

Jim

Thank you for offering and thank you for asking the questions!!

Gassho
    Shohei

Attached files

I know a little PHP but only enough to get me in trouble.

if you have any issues, you may want to look into converting the forum over to Simple Machines. A lot of peole prefer that over PHPBB