Hi All,

Here is a transcription from a Dharma talk given by Jay Rinsen Weik which I thought was very interesting.

Tibetan's do this, they meditate with an actual human corpse. did you know that? Not all of them, but some of them. It's a very important rite of passage for some of these cats, you know.
(woman from the audience) "A rotting one?"
(back to Rinsen Sensei) Yeah, yeah the whole thing honey...the whole thing. The elder monk has passed on and his last act of service is to allow the other brethren to meditate on the impermanence of life with his rotting corpse. And so day after day they are with and watch and understand. And again it's not a morbid like creepy thing. It's just like...this is true. This is true.
I can really see how this practice could be of benefit. Still don't know if I could do it, but I do see the idea. I know I have one friend here at Treeleaf who(because of his line of work with the dearly departed :wink: ) must have a similar experience as what these monks are trying to achieve through this. The psychology behind some of the Tibetan practices(that I know of) really interests me.

Gassho,
John