Thread: Monastic Rule

Monastic Rule

I thought I would share with you the "Brief Rule of St. Romuald", the founder of the Camaldolese Order of hermits who practice a strict form of eremetic asceticism. The Rule is probably the shortest monastic rule of all the many religious orders of the Western Church, but it is truly the deepest and one that might resonant with one who sits Shikantanza.

"Sit in your cell as in paradise, put the whole world behind you and forget it;
    like a skilled fisherman on the lookout for a catch keep a careful eye on your thoughts.

The path you follow is in the psalms - do not leave it, if you have come with a novice's
    enthusiasm and cannot accomplish what you want, take every chance you can find to sing
    the psalms in your heart and to understand them with your head; if your mind wanders
    as you read do not give up but hurry back and try again.

Above all realize that you are in God's presence; hold your heart there in wonder as if
    before your sovereign.

Empty yourself completely; sit waiting, content with God's gift,
    like a little chick testing and eating nothing but what its mother brings."

It is to things like this that I am able to point, written in the 11th century, when I am asked how I can practice Zen.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Re: Monastic Rule

Hello Brother Seishin,

Thank you for this.

Metta,

Saijun

Thank you Seishin
    Gassho
    Shohei

Thanks for this gem.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Thank you for this! I will share this with others as it is truly beautiful

Gassho

Seiryu

Seishin,

Thank you for posting this! Deep bows to you and your practice!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Seishin,

Wow exchange a few words with dharma ones and this description could have been written by a zen periest! Really shows that in the spiritual world one can find more similarities than differences if they only choose to look.

Gassho,
    John

Monastic Rule

_/_

Ron

Thank you Seishin Kyrill.

What a beautiful description of that practice that transcends all differences.

It is interesting to note how monastic practices such as Centering Prayer are currently flooding the mainstream Christian world. I took RCIA classes once and the Priest spent more time talking about prayer and meditation than he did Catholic history. It was refreshing and enlightening. We are all seeking the same Reality. Peace brother.

gassho
    Greg

Hi.

Thank you.

Could be put on a wallposter.

Mtfbwy
    fugen

Thank you for sharing. I had always thought they used a modified form of the Benedictine rule thank you for teaching me something new. I spent a week with them years ago up at their northern california monastery. My brother was testing a vocation and they were super hospitable. My brother is now a Capuchin Franciscan but he still shares stories of his time with the camaldolese brothers. Oh I always wanted to ask Fr. Kyrillos are you an orthodox priest or anthonite monk. I find Hesychasm in orthodoxy a very beautiful practice.
    Gassho
    Chris

It never ceases to amaze me that things like this are present in every religion. That no matter what faith or creed you identify with, if you search just a little, somewhere in all the dogma you'll find little bits and pieces that are identical with little bits and pieces found in a completely different religion, separated from the first by centuries, continents, oceans, cultures, and languages.

But, at their heart, always the same.

I just a while ago lit a fire in my Cheyenne tipi and spent some time in the presence of my sovereign. It was sublime. I am often confused by the disparity between the Christianity I was raised with and the Buddhism that calls to me. Thank you sincerely for tying them together as they truly are.

Thank you, Fr. K.

Nine Bows, J

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    ... Really shows that in the spiritual world one can find more similarities than differences if they only choose to look.
    !

_()_
    Peter

Amazing, Seishin. Thanks for sharing.
    Is there any reference on St. Romuald being influenced by Buddhism when he created that rule? Or did he just make an independent discovery?

Gassho

Rimon

Very Cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCM
    It never ceases to amaze me that things like this are present in every religion. That no matter what faith or creed you identify with, if you search just a little, somewhere in all the dogma you'll find little bits and pieces that are identical with little bits and pieces found in a completely different religion, separated from the first by centuries, continents, oceans, cultures, and languages.

But, at their heart, always the same.
    It always amazes me too. Zen is so natural to people that all through the ages we can see it being part of our history.

Thanks Kyrill!

It always seems there is a lesson to be learned each way we turn and from each in turn...
    Thank you, Kyrill.
    Gassho,
    Engyo