Thread: What is turning the dharma wheel

What is turning the dharma wheel

I come across it again and again when reading, but what is it meaning ?
    _()_
    Peter

Re: What is turning the dharma wheel

to my knowledge it means to turn the wheel of the teachings. In order word it means; keeping the teachings alive or making sure the teachings to not die.

After Buddha's enlightenment he did not want to teach. But a god came down and requested him to turn the wheel of Dharma. So essentially he was asking the Buddha to teach.

The wheel itself traditional represents the first teachings the Buddha ever gave on the four noble truths and eightfold noble path.

hope this helps

Gassho

Seiryu

It's a colloquialism that means, "to spread the dharma". Basically it refers to any teaching, talk, teisho, post, or book that is a true representation of the buddha's dharma. The wheel symbolizes the fact that all things are one, that there is no beginning or end to the dharma, and the law of karma, among other things.

This is, however, more my interpretation of the saying and not something I could cite a source on.

The question is who is turning thedharma wheel. Dharma being all phenomena. When practicing deeply you are doing your part to turn the wheel otherwise the wheel is turning you. You are present for the turning or lost in samsara.

Thank you, thats whats confusing me, is it meant as dharma (teaching) or dharmas (the ten thousand things) or both, depending on context.

In this passage from Shobogenzo, Bendowa

"Then all dharmas experience and understand right realization and myriad things each put their Buddhist body into practice; in an instant, they totally transcend the limits of experience and understanding; they sit erect as kings of the bodhi tree; in one moment, they turn the great Dharma wheel which is in the unequaled state of equilibrium"

It sounds like the latter (but "teaching" also makes sense to me). Or later (again Bendowa)

"Furthermore, the vast and great word is even more abundant than the myriad phenomena. And the turning of the great Dharma wheel is contained in every molecule."

Or maybe its both, and it just not yet merged in my thinking mind,
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    It sounds like the latter (but "teaching" also makes sense to me). Or later (again Bendowa)

"Furthermore, the vast and great word is even more abundant than the myriad phenomena. And the turning of the great Dharma wheel is contained in every molecule."

Or maybe its both, and it just not yet merged in my thinking mind,
    As Aitken Roshi said, "The Chinese Thrush sings in my heart, and grey clouds float across the blue sky of my mind. All things are my teacher."

The turning of the Dharma Wheel is contained in every molecule. Every molecule is my teacher.

Thank you
    _()_
    Peter