Thread: [Engaged] Smile Train

[Engaged] Smile Train

Hey y'all, my favorite charity would have to be Smile Train. Here's a summary of their mission from the website (http://www.smiletrain.org):

Our mission is to provide a child born with a cleft the same opportunities in life as a child born without.

Clefts are a major problem in developing countries where there are millions of children who are suffering with unrepaired clefts. Most cannot eat or speak properly. Aren't allowed to attend school or hold a job. And face very difficult lives filled with shame and isolation, pain and heartache. Their clefts usually go untreated because they are poor – too poor to pay for a simple surgery that has been around for decades.

The New York Times has called Smile Train "one of the most productive charities -- dollar for deed -- in the world." The purpose of each suggested donation is clearly articulated, which I appreciate. It helps me to know that I'm not sending my money for a nebulous purpose.

I can't adequately convey the sadness of these children. I wasn't even aware of this problem until seeing an ad for Smile Train in The Economist. Having seen some of the photos, it's unforgettable.

Please give the website a look. If you can't donate, or are involved with another charity, please tell your friends & family about Smile Train.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

gassho,
    Shujin

Re: Smile Train

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Thanks Shujin...I'll check it out!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks a lot Shujin,
    How happy we can be, how happy our childs,
    and what great opportunity to help with "just"
    sending some money,
    _()_
    Peter

Thanks Sujin this is also one of my favorite charities. You may also want to check Covenant House out. Any helpless child in need deserves our compassion. Gassho, Shogen

Quote Originally Posted by Shogen
    Thanks Sujin this is also one of my favorite charities. You may also want to check Covenant House out. Any helpless child in need deserves our compassion. Gassho, Shogen
    Be sure to start a link in this "My Favorite Charities" forum for Covenant House, and introduce them, if you feel.

Gassho, J