Thread: Regaining sanity one stitch at a time.

Regaining sanity one stitch at a time.

Regaining sanity one stitch at a time. This is the name of a group I just opened up yesterday for stitching practice. I had multiple consumers show up and it was amazing. As some of you know I have been incapacitated for some time and my main practice has been sewing. I thought I would share the benefits I got from this to consumers and I saw amazing results. Since this is not a buddhist class we did not sew anything like a rakusu or a kesa but I just had them do back stitches on lines I had put on some fabric. Normally groups are rowdy but once they started even those going through mania seemed to very focused on this simple task. I had one girl with severe schizophrenia who cant draw a straight line who had the best stitches and no outburst which is miraculous. I was nervous still being a little sick and this being my first day back but it turned out great. My friend Nick who is a Chan buddhist monk told me that the practice sounded great as long as I don't turn them into a mental health sweat shop. I just thought I would share.
    Gasho
    Chris

Re: Regaining sanity one stitch at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctpowers8
    Regaining sanity one stitch at a time. This is the name of a group I just opened up yesterday for stitching practice. I had multiple consumers show up and it was amazing. As some of you know I have been incapacitated for some time and my main practice has been sewing. I thought I would share the benefits I got from this to consumers and I saw amazing results. Since this is not a buddhist class we did not sew anything like a rakusu or a kesa but I just had them do back stitches on lines I had put on some fabric. Normally groups are rowdy but once they started even those going through mania seemed to very focused on this simple task. I had one girl with severe schizophrenia who cant draw a straight line who had the best stitches and no outburst which is miraculous. I was nervous still being a little sick and this being my first day back but it turned out great. My friend Nick who is a Chan buddhist monk told me that the practice sounded great as long as I don't turn them into a mental health sweat shop. I just thought I would share.
    Gasho
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

It took me a moment to recall what you mean by "consumers", but then I remembered that your work is this ...

I am a PHD candidate in Clinical Psychology and I teach Art, Meditation and Depression Groups in our county mental health system.

I guess that is a term for people undergoing mental health therapy and rehabilitation?

Sounds to me that sewing could be a lovely and helpful practice for such folks.

Gassho, Jundo

Chris,

I cannot fully express how much sewing has helped in my practice, so I think it is a wonderful idea. Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it goes!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Indeed,

A great initiative.

Thank you Chris

gassho

Taigu

Not a bad reminder for those of us who could use some calm as well. It is always a good day to work on my backstitch, and I have yet to make a Rakusu pouch.
    Now where did I put that needle?
    Gassho.

Stephanie

Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing

Gassho!

This is why I knit and make jewelry. Thank you for sharing it!

Gassho
    Julia