Thread: Treeleaf study guide?

Treeleaf study guide?

Hi guys!

I've been studying Buddhism from here and there for a long time and it was until I got to Treeleaf that I realized that I really want to formalize a bit my learning.

So far I have gone to some retreats, several aikido retreats, read a bunch of books, done zazen for years... I just think it's time to settle here.

Do we have a study guide or some sort of bullet list that tells where to begin learning in a more structured way?

Thanks!

Re: Treeleaf study guide?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    Hi guys!

I've been studying Buddhism from here and there for a long time and it was until I got to Treeleaf that I realized that I really want to formalize a bit my learning.

So far I have gone to some retreats, several aikido retreats, read a bunch of books, done zazen for years... I just think it's time to settle here.

Do we have a study guide or some sort of bullet list that tells where to begin learning in a more structured way?

Thanks!
    Hi,

Well, first and last, we have sitting Zazen. Sitting is all we need ... all that is ... sitting just sitting sitting. Everything changes, and nothing changes ... and Just Sitting works a revolution that was here all along. In Sitting, there is nothing else or that need be done.

Rising from the Zafu ... that is sitting too ... so we deepen our Practice in the kitchen, nursery, office, highways and city streets. ONLY seated Zazen is Zazen, and so we sit each day. Yet, all of life is Zazen. (A Koan).

So, of course, we have our series of talks for Beginners ... yet we are all Beginners always. So, review the "basics" again and again.

viewforum.php?f=20

These too ...

viewforum.php?f=21

viewforum.php?f=23

Other wonderful materials in there, such as Taigu's series on the Oxherding Pictures ...

viewforum.php?f=18

We have our encouragement of daily Liturgy ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3308

Rakusu and Kesa sewing with Taigu ... Study of the Precepts for Jukai (not to mention, daily "putting the Precepts into Practice" in the home, office and city streets!) ...

viewforum.php?f=7

We have our recommended book list, with some books marked for beginners and others of a more specialized nature. Also happy to chat about those ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

We have our book club too ... (I am going to start calling it the "Beyond Words or Letters" Book Club 8) )

viewforum.php?f=2

Daily Metta Practice

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1199

... and Daily Nurturing Seeds Practice ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1730

And our new, soon to be "always open" Engaged and Charitable Practices area ...

viewforum.php?f=28

Oh, and then we have ... sitting Zazen. Sitting is all we need ... all that is ... sitting just sitting sitting. Everything changes, and nothing changes ... and Just Sitting works a revolution that was here all along. In Sitting, there is nothing else or that need be done. (That, by the way, includes attending longer sittings and multi-day Zazenkai and Sesshin ... not only here, but in groups under a roof from time to time, when that can be arranged. Sesshin is important).

That should keep ya busy for awhile. That's as "structured" as can be made ... as "structured" as this wonderful life is "structured"!

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Jundo Sensei for always pointing us in the right direction by way of a link or two, or in this case a multitude
    There truly is an abundance of knowlegde contained throughout Treeleaf, and amazingly you know right where to find it all. I swear sometimes I think you must have to have a photographic memory to keep track of it all!!!

Gassho,
    John

Thanks Jundo!

Just today I went through all the beginners videos. They are fantastic.

And I agree with John! It's a lot to keep track off.

About the jukai... when will be the next ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    Thanks Jundo!

Just today I went through all the beginners videos. They are fantastic.

And I agree with John! It's a lot to keep track off.

About the jukai... when will be the next ceremony?
    Hi,

We begin study and sewing in the Fall for the ceremony right after the New Year.

However, the Precepts are put into Practice now ... now and now.

Gassho, J

Yes! I need to study deeper into the Precepts.

Thanks, Jundo!