Thread: Shaolin, a great Buddhist movie

Shaolin, a great Buddhist movie

Hey guys!

I just watched a movie that touched me in several ways. The movie is a wuxia film in the spirit of Crouching Tiger and it's called Shaolin.

It's about a warlord who only hungered for power and money. He didn't respect life nor he knew ethics or morals. Until one day he loses it all.

Now I won't say anything more because I will spoil you the story, but this movie is pure dharma.

Granted, since it's a wuxia flick it has a lot of fighting and action. But the main message is compassion and the Four Noble Truths.

At many points on the story I cried. A lot.

So if you can't get a hold on this movie, you won't regret it.

It made me happy to think I live with the dharma.

You can read about the film here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1533749/

Re: Shaolin, a great Buddhist movie

Thanks Choco!

By the way ... Did you know that Master Bodhidharma ... who brought Zen to China and sat in a cave at Shaolin temple for 9 years ... is said to be the same "Bodhidharma" who brought Kung Fu to Shaolin temple? IT'S TRUE! (At least, it is true that folks sometimes say that ... I do not know what parts of the story are true).

I recently wrote this elsewhere ... COMPLETELY NON-SERIOUS, TONGUE IN CHEEK! :lol:

I have a not-so-serious question for all the Zen history buffs out there ...

Apart from the fact that the whole "Bodhidharma" story is seemingly a lovely "paradigm", a meaningful (and timeless) myth cooked up, polished up and embellished up by later generations ...

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/Phi ... adigm.html

... how do we reconcile the Bodhidharma who sat so long that his legs vanished (as captured in the rolly-polly "Daruma Doll" of Japan) ...

... and who cut off his own eyelids lest he close them and fall asleep (turning to the first tea leaves, thus helping to explain the long connection of Zen and Caffeine) ...

http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/informatio ... elids.html

... with the Bodhidharma who is the founder of Kung Fu at Shaolin Temple (home of Master Caine, and depicted in this drawing ... apparently by the same guy who does the Elvis on Velvet paintings) ...

... not to mention this wonderful Bodhidharma Action Figure. Dig the 6-Pack Abs! You don't get those just by sitting on a Zafu! Not without sit-ups too!

Anyway, so here is my really serious-not question. Somebody asked me, and I was stumped:

How do you teach Kung Fu if always sitting, let alone if your legs fall off?

Now, I know all about Wu Wei ... moving while sitting still, the legs that need no legs. After all, Zen is the most effective of martial arts, for there is ultimately nobody in need of defending, nothing which ever can be snatched away. True 'Karate', for the Hand of Thought is Empty. That is -not- what I mean.

I am asking for a logical explanation for how a guy with no legs, and fully occupied for 9 years with sitting could find time and legs to teach a Karate class? Like, did he take breaks during the 9 years for lessons each Wednesday over at the temple, maybe with a pair of prosthetics? Levitation? You don't get Abs like that just by sitting on a Zafu! Not without sit-ups too!

Any thoughts?

Gassho, Stumped

HAHAHA Now that you put it that way, I never thought on how both legends could blend... and as a matter of fact they don't!

Not sure at what point in real history both Masters collide. I guess the Shaolin monks told things as they wanted them to be and Chan monks told their version.

After all, Zen is the most effective of martial arts, for there is ultimately nobody in need of defending
    I couldn't agree more. And as in aikido, zen requires you to see training as a way of life.

And man, look at that pissed off Bodhidharma action figure!

Where did you find the "velvet Elvis" Bodhidharma?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev R
    Where did you find the "velvet Elvis" Bodhidharma?
    It was hanging on the 'oak tree in the garden' ... during a garage sale.

The url says ...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/409 ... 7dfe6f.jpg

I almost bought this one two ... a Tribute to Dogs Playing Poker ...

Gassho, J

I want that painting so bad it hurts. :lol:

Also I'm pretty sure Amida is sneaking a look at the dog's cards.

Amida is not the only one bending the rules a bit. I count a total of 5 aces in that picture.

It was hanging on the 'oak tree in the garden' ... during a garage sale
    couldn't see it

Ooh I hunted down another fabulous work by Bob Rini. The Kensho Tramps:

http://bobrinimakesart.blogspot.com/200 ... ramps.html