Thread: The lighter side of Zen (even Mahakashyapa laughed)

The lighter side of Zen (even Mahakashyapa laughed)

I just thought that even though “Life and Death are of supreme importance” and our practice is a very serious matter, that we should also strive to remember that a very important part of life, and therefore our practice, is humor. It’s good to remember to laugh, and to embrace the spirit of levity at times. So in that vein, I wanted to offer this gatha to all the parents out there. I know I’ll be using it often……..

When my children aggravate the bejeezus out of me,
    I vow with all beings
    To remember when I was young,
    And renew my bejeezus.

Re: The lighter side of Zen (even Mahakashyapa laughed)

:lol:

unleash the Beejezus in us all!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

We have at least one thread on this:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewto...f+humor#p45113

(How do people get these links to show as "viewtopic..." and not this whole string of stuff I get?)

Laugh, smile, enjoy, have fun. This life is short, precious, and beautiful.

To be able to these things is as zen as you can be. Beside zen, it is what being spiritual is all about. Zen is not about escaping the horrors of life, but entering back into the joy, the laughter, and the smile.

Thank you for sharing. I will teach the Gatha to my mother when I annoy her :wink:

*Deep Bow*

Seiryu

P.S
    “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”. ~Buddha

My wife's personal motto is "Live, laugh, love." (Thanks to its current popularity, it's all over the house.) I'd say it nicely sums up several Buddhist writings I've read.

A very funny book from some years ago ...

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Letters-Tofu ... 868&sr=8-1

Tofu Roshi is the alter ego of Susan Moon, a longtime Zen practitioner and writer living in the San Francisco Bay Area. Tofu Roshi's [of the No Way Zen Center's] advice to the lovelorn, instructions on meditation, and overall guidance on life gave me many, many belly laughs. Roshi's words are complimented by photos of his (or is it her? Tofu Roshi's gender is rather questionable!) students hard at work to get enlightened. If you know anything about Buddhism, or are involved in a Buddhist group {sangha), and are prone to taking yourself and the practice too seriously, this book is just the right medicine for you. ... Tofu gives out free-wheeling counsel that ranges from the practical for the concerned parents whose daughter is trying to convert their cat to a strict vegetarianto questions of deep philosophical nature: "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" and "What is the meaning of life?" Tofu has remedies for everyone in this diverting book, but often, "like a basketball that teeters a long moment on the rim, only to fall outside the Hoop of True Understanding," it is difficult to ascertain just what Tofu has prescribed. There is a breath of scandal here, too, because in the sacred bowels of the No Way Zen Center, Ichi Su and Tofu are discovered passionately shaving each other's heads.

Strangely enough my first introduction to Zen was reading Tofu Roshi, so it must be good since I made my way here.

Gassho,
    Dosho