Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The world is virtual, this sangha is real

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gassho

s@t today.

The development of the next generation computers looks promising if the technology can come forth to give accurate representation of color and shape. From what I see this technology in truly in it's infancy. Current color and shape of photographs surpasses what I see on sheets of paper, and as a photographer, I wonder at the current quality of this new device.

Tai Shi
    sts
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thanks for sharing...

I would love to know the process by which this wonderful sanga came into being? Perhaps from a zen perspective it has always been there in the ether it just took us so long to realise that you 'bang the rocks together' to make it manifest.
    Jundo did you have to pitch the idea for funding or were the facilities available being under used to actually get online?

Re earlier discussion 'feeling alone in a crowd' totally agree but often the best place to hide. From the New Agers Handbook for those of a certain age 'members of the same family rarely grow up under the same roof'.
    I meet new people and they are like old friends while some others including family members are not.
    I feel welcome here.
    Last edited by michaelw; 03-27-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matzukaze View Post
    I would love to know the process by which this wonderful sanga came into being? Perhaps from a zen perspective it has always been there in the ether it just took us so long to realise that you 'bang the rocks together' to make it manifest.
    Jundo did you have to pitch the idea for funding or were the facilities available being under used to actually get online?

Re earlier discussion 'feeling alone in a crowd' totally agree but often the best place to hide. From the New Agers Handbook for those of a certain age 'members of the same family rarely grow up under the same roof'.
    I meet new people and they are like old friends while some others including family members are not.
    I feel welcome here.
    Hi Matsukaze:

Hah, no pitch for funding, and we never solicit donations (although they are welcome if someone wishes). No real facilities beyond what the internet allowed back in 2006. Early netcasting or conferencing services: Ustream, Justin.tv, mogulus ... and our original platform: Operator11 ... they have gone to the data stream beyond ... !

My biographical information tells a little about how this place came about. It renews and is new every day.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post292603

Because my mother was sick, I started to come back to America for three or four months at a time (returning to Japan for three or four months, then back to America), and became the assisting priest in Florida to Mitch Doshin Cantor of Maezumi Roshi's "White Plum" lineage. Mitch taught me how to run a Western style Sangha (much of what we are doing at Treeleaf is borrowed directly from my experiences at Doshin's Sangha), a lot about bowing and incense lighting and basic ceremonies (even an iconoclast like me needs such skills: don't reject or seek to adapt/change something before you actually know what it is and how to do it!) Doshin gave me my first chance to lead groups and give Zen Talks after Nishijima bestowed Dharma Transmission. Furthermore, he introduced me to something very much present in Western Buddhism but sorely lacking in Japan: immersion in the diverse ideas of Buddhism. A Soto teacher in Japan would likely have little knowledge or interest in what the Rinzai fellow is doing down the street, let alone in the Vipassana school, Vedanta, the writings of Lama Suria Das and Dzogchen. That is not the case in the West.)...

... Treeleaf was started because I needed to go back and forth from Japan to Florida (my mother's home) as she became sicker. Soon, we were spending alternate 3 months in each place, but I found that I was able still to do my work as a Japanese translator thanks to this new amazing thing called a "computer" and the "internet." This familiarized me with much of the technology available that became the basis for Treeleaf. As well, when I was an assisting priest to Doshin Cantor, I saw several members of that Sangha who ... due to age, work, family and health issues ... had to stop attending sittings. I thought that a shame, and that is from where the idea for Treeleaf came. You can listen to a podcast about Treeleaf and its origins on "Buddhist Geeks" here...

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/buddh...-here-and-now/
    Fellow named John Simon was the original designer of Treeleaf 1.0, back in the day. We had only one way netcasting back then, and a forum.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - Matsukaze, would you mind to sign your posts with a human first name, and when you can, to add a human face photo? It helps keep things warmer and more human round here. Thank you. You can find information on the photo here:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...n-Avatar-Photo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-25-2022 at 11:23 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi. This is Kaye in Gainesville, Florida. I am so grateful for this opportunity to share and participate online. Thank you. Sending virtual hugs and gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayelinden@gmail.com View Post
    Hi. This is Kaye in Gainesville, Florida. I am so grateful for this opportunity to share and participate online. Thank you. Sending virtual hugs and gratitude.
    Right back at you, friend and it’s great to have you around! We like to be friendly around here so, as you can see, among other things not common in other internet places, we try to show ourselves by using profile pictures. It makes the experience that much more pleasant and expresses our belief in the undeniable reality of this sangha! We’d love to put a face to your name as well, Kaye!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I've been reading Reality+ by David Chalmers, who questions whether we are in a simulation (we can't know if we are), and what reality is. He claims that our virtual experiences are as real as our face-to-face experiences, and says that we should not separate the two.

https://amzn.to/3S22L2U

Fascinating book, which is interesting to read considering some Buddhist thought about reality (which he mentions).

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    I've been reading Reality+ by David Chalmers, who questions whether we are in a simulation (we can't know if we are), and what reality is. He claims that our virtual experiences are as real as our face-to-face experiences, and says that we should not separate the two.

https://amzn.to/3S22L2U

Fascinating book, which is interesting to read considering some Buddhist thought about reality (which he mentions).

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    I started reading it yesterday on your recommendation.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I sat today.
    Good day Bion.
    I am trying to get a photo uploaded to my profile but it won't upload. I have the one on the beach but am trying to get the face on there. SCREAMING with frustration. I will contact tech support. gassho. kaye

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
    I sat today.
    Good day Bion.
    I am trying to get a photo uploaded to my profile but it won't upload. I have the one on the beach but am trying to get the face on there. SCREAMING with frustration. I will contact tech support. gassho. kaye
    Oh, don’t stress too much about it. The problem is the size always.. The forum allows a very small size image.
    If you need any assistance just say the word!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12