Thread: 12/24 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Punyamitra

12/24 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Punyamitra

So ordinary ... so extraordinary ... so much to do ... nothing to do ...

Master Keizan's Talk and Verse particularly resonated with me today ...

Cook from 140
    Hixon from 127

Re: 12/24 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Punyamitra

Hmm, I thought I had to read (do) this chapter in order to be up to date with the book club. But I guess not. Hmm.

Hixon's definitions of the phrases are helpful, a reminder of some basic yet difficult concepts.

Nothing is ordinary; it's all sacred, but we treat it as ordinary.

Hixon:

This chapter was ok but I didn't really feel a connection to Punyamitra, as to those of earlier chapters. In fact I wouldn't know he was the one receiving the light if it weren't for the title.

Gassho,
    John

Zazen is a seldom flowering cactus ? Oh yes, of course, and it grows right here in a metropolitan city.
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hixon
    Doing absolutely nothing is to be free from the notion of any independent self that initiates actions or receives the results of actions. It is to remain fundamentally notionless, while continuing to experience the daily sense of harmonious functioning and the authentic sense of accountability.
    As I often try to explain the notion of "no self" to non buddhists, my wife in particular, I have often felt afterwards that it sounds like I am saying we are not responsible for our actions. Of course we are...especially so! Now, I just have to figure out how to express that without it sounding like my "no self" doesn't need to do the "no dishes".

Gassho,
    Dosho

When taking the vow of home departure Punyamitra declared he would do absolutely nothing thus freeing the notion of the I, me, mine, Self.
    Also declaring he would not perform any ordinary thought or action the notion of body and mind was dropped. With Self gone and body and mind dropped Original Mind manifested. Original Mind natural and effortless, ever clarifying truth with compassion, goes unnoticed to the undiscerning eye. Buddha activities effort eminates from Original Mind and displays as follows: when seeing hunger food is offered, when seeing thirst drink is offered, when seeing homelessness shelter is offered . . . Buddha activity neither seeks out problems or reward for their solutions. So with discerning eye Basiasita recognized the Light in Punyamitra. gassho zak

Hiyas
    Punyamitra says to his master that upon taking the vow of home leaving he will do nothing. No thing. No one thing specific. He would be Buddha activity. In this way not discriminating, home-leaving as some state to be sought, some place to end up or time other than now. Enlightened activity being the only activity! Nothing special but amazingly profound, as Hixon points out the ground beneath ones feet, supportive and nearly invisible. A kind gesture born from non-doing.

This rings back a bit to Branching streams flow in the darkness... Sandoka, I believe, about the hand that reaches in the the dark to adjust the pillow... pure act of compassion, with out thought of compassion.

Gassho
    Shohei