Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: haiku writing as a way

haiku writing as a way

I am currently preparing a worshop on writing haiku and I wrote the following notes that happen to convey exactly what I really want to say most of the time:

Please, try to avoid desk haiku. I often write haiku as I walk, work, lie down. Please, speak haiku, give them a voice, whisper them, shout them, spit them chew them. Haiku come from my experience of the world. I compose haiku not because I am a poet, or to make poetry, I don’t give a dam about poetry, I write haiku to be alive and present in this world. Not to live in my head and through my senses. To unfold my being-seing-perceiveng in all this. And meet what comes and goes. Death can take place anytime, haiku is like Hanami, to watch blossoms. I am going to die, and haiku writing haiku doing is a celebration of a fragile and floating existence, it is sheer gratitude. Gratitude. And gratitude again.

Don’t write too many words. Many haiku in English are too wordy. Cut. Keep it simple. You should be able to speak any haiku in a single short breath. Don’t pack poems with fancy words be careful with adjectives, bad writing is often over using adjectives. Don’t use special poetic words and reject words like plastic, telephone or can. Avoid likes and dislikes. In the haiku world, everything is precious, worth looking at and worthy of appreciation. Don’t be afraid of words and things. Call things by their name. Go for what is, what is real around and inside you. Go where you dance, go even where it hurts. Haiku is a tool of discovery and self inquiry. Pick up things unnoticed, left aside, pick up what people don’t even see or pay attention to. Pick up garbage and practice garbage arrangement. Celebrate the ordinary. In the simple activity of seeing, of being you will find love. Jizo or Kannon are not statues in fancy temples and museums but your very attention to the world, your activity in full bloom and the very people and things you meet everyday. This is the real magic. And it is available here and now. And it is now or never. Each second passes and won’t come back. You won’t be given a second go. There is only one. This one. Here and now.

gassho to all

Taigu

Re: haiku writing as a way

Wow ! Haiku ... something I never approached, but its getting a whole new meaning to me now.
    _()_
    Peter

Haiku and tankas always interested me, but I so far I always ended giving up as my own didn't sound "poetic" at all, After reading your text, like Peter said, now it has a completely new meaning.
    Is it going to be an online workshop here at Treeleaf?

Gassho

No Da5id, It is going to be a workshop in Japan for people interested in writing free form haiku in Santoka and Shiki's style. A long time ago I was a respected University lecturer and I used to lead creative writing worshops inspired by the OULIPO, a fun approach to writing made famous by a bunch of European nuts. These days i am just a modest and very happy ( :P :P :P ) language teacher but I have been asked to share my linited experience of writing this junk ( i also call it happy s...).

Don't mind about poetic or not poetic, beautiful or not...Short poems are excellent friends, they bring us to where we really belong. Not always pinky, rosy, cheerful. So the whole thing is to be true. Just true. Sentimental true. Poetically true. Realistically true. Stupidly true.

We are all dying, a great slow death called life. We are all living an amazing multiple and puzzling death. Eventually the way in is nothing but the way out. Same door. Same gate. Haiku is a great way to celebrate this being-action of getting in and out.

So please, scribble down those things, let them arise from what or who you meet.

No need to be talented, gifted.

Not even a craft.

What is it?

Haiku?
    three simple lines
    one breath

something like that

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    We are all dying a great slow death called life.
    One of the profoundest sentences I've read in a very long time. Thank you.

There is poetry and then there is haiku. The beauty of haiku is the "artlessness" of it. There is no need for haiku to put on "window dressing," using metaphor, personification, etc.

-- this reminds me of a story about the composer Igor Stravinsky... He was at a rehearsal for one of his pieces (Persephone), and there was a passage where the women's chorus were singing in a very saccharine way. He stopped the orchestra and chorus and asked what in the world were they doing. Members of the chorus asked him, "This melodic passage appears like it is supposed to be sung sweetly, right?" He told them (I'm paraphrasing here) "Why add sugar on top of sugar? Sing the passage as it is written and the sweetness will come appear of its own accord-- don't add to it."

Haiku is like that-- there is no need to make "Poetry" of it, just let the moment shine in its own unique beauty. The more I reflect on it, the more I realize haiku and zazen are so similar!

Here is a good bibliography of haiku books (books of haiku and about writing haiku) that some people might find handy:

http://haikuist.wordpress.com/library

Sadly,it seems all of R.H. Blyth's books on haiku are out of print, but they are worth every penny if you can find them.

() josh

Sadly,it seems all of R.H. Blyth's books on haiku are out of print, but they are worth every penny if you can find them.

I completly agree, Earthling, just one thing: find your own book (not yet written), and write it ( without you around).

gassho

taigu

Thank you Taigu for bringing out the depths of haiku, and Thank You Josh for the list of books. I've been writing haiku since 1968 (I just found my first one written in a book buried in my library Sometimes I think I see the world through haiku eyes. It's usually the first form of expression that comes to me when something is busting out to be expressed. Gassho, Ann

Don’t use special poetic words and reject words like plastic, telephone or can.
    I like telephone and can. They are real-world words, everyday and concrete. If anyone can find a good haiku in them, great!

I cringe at stuff like heart, soul, ephemeral, gossamer. Oh, for the love of God, stay away from gossamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling
    Here is a good bibliography of haiku books (books of haiku and about writing haiku) that some people might find handy:

http://haikuist.wordpress.com/library
    I can vouch for Bill Higginson's Haiku Handbook. And Lee Gurga's Haiku: A Poet's Guide is indispensable for beginners.

New postby Jennifer G P on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 am

Taigu wrote: Don’t use special poetic words and reject words like plastic, telephone or can.

I like telephone and can. They are real-world words, everyday and concrete. If anyone can find a good haiku in them, great!
    [/quote]

I agree on the telephone (but perhaps not in person) however I can tell you that can is not concrete but rather metal ability. :P
    (sorry, couldn't resist G, ann

Hi!
    Haikus are great friends indeed! Especially the free and open style of Santoka, so direct and intuitive!
    Don't hesitate to share some with us! (as you sometimes do).

gassho,
    Jinyu
    edit: a small one from Santoka for all the Leafers who are still sewing:
    feel of the needle
    when at last
    you get the thread through it

lovely! we just arranged a virtual workshop with all your comments, descriptions and references.
    I'll throw poetry to the bin, then I'll try to throw my-self to the bin too and start writing without me messing around.
    About OULIPO. I enjoyed Perec a lot when I read him like hmmm... Ten years ago. In his way, he was very zenish... And all the OULIPO's ideas on giving atypical formal rules to write in order to get a new vision on how you write and improve your creativity also look to me as a way to remove your ego from the writing and be more free.

Let us know how the workshop goes, Taigu

Gassho

taigu
    he doesnt give a damn about poetry.
    basho speaks.

I have often wondered about haiku writing. I think it would be interesting to learn. I love reading haiku, I know that much. I may give it a whorl and see what I come up with.

Thank you for this thread!
    gassho!
    ezz

More snow falling,
    Melted before
    It fell.

Gassho Taigu with thanks,
    Soen

There is even the European president expressing himself as a politician haiku poet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckx_nCdvp4[/video]]

Here is one of his pen

In the ditch, a pair
    of copulating toads drift
    into spring’s new life

Gassho

Ensho

Hiyas
    While I enjoy reading them, and with no real understanding of the criteria for what is good or bad beyond what think is so, I will easily say I am no poet!
    Perhaps all the more reason to do so with out judging?

I fail at Haiku
    painting pictures with less words
    tougher than it seems!

Doh!

Gassho
    Shohei

Here's something I ran into:

Attached files

I hope the refrigerator was ok... :wink:

Zazen, Kinhin, Haiku ... practice. Thank you Taigu. If you would see it fitting I would appreciate reading some of your Haiku. gassho zak

Doh!
    My pen is broken.
    Better sit.
    (For Shohei)

Hi Zak,

Would you wish to read my junk...That's where it lives, a funny blog that I visit from time to time...

http://pierretesuten.blogspot.com/

Thank you for yor appreciation and please, do have a go.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you Taigu. Haiku is now a part of my practice. Wonderful pointing. Gassho zak

A few I've written while home:

Life cannot be rushed
    Each moment is only this
    Bread, it seems, the same

Focused on this, that
    Mind wanders like a rogue bag
    Wind-blown back and forth

Two moving apart
    Cannot erase given names -
    Father and Mother

For all your good deeds
    You expect heaven above
    Why not drink your tea?

Brick bread in the stove
    I made so many mistakes
    Yet the bread still bakes

Gassho,
    Taylor

I always found Haikus to be so mysterious and fascinating thank you Taigu for this thread.

Here is one I wrote:

Behold what beauty.
    The mind is like a still pond.
    That no one can reach.

Gassho

Rafael

Taylor and Rafael,

Thank you for posting your haiku. Now, this is a very delicate and difficult thing to do because poetry is a very intimate thing but as you kindly shared yours with us , I do have to say something about these poems:

Haiku comes from pure and utter experience without the filtering of the mind that wants to do philosophy, teach or make a pretty little thing: your haiku sound a bit too wordy to my ears,you can still simplify and cut .

You will find two parts in most haiku, we can call them the phrase and the fragment. The phrase is made of two lines and the fragment is just one line which has apparently nothing to do with the phrase, in other words a good haiku should not be red as one sentence...

From Santoka:

all day
    I said nothing
    the sound of waves

from Bassho:

cuckoo
    now as for haiku masters
    none are in this world

leave aside
    litterary talents
    tree peony

You also may ditch metaphors, ponctuation and even capital letters. The most important thing is to live your haiku, to experience it cursing your blood, to feel it deep down. Haiku is a state of complete simplicity and open-mindedness to what is as it is. No need to preach, sound and look clever. And this is difficult. Simplicity is difficult.

take care and thank you again for your patience.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you Taigu--I never knew about phrase and fragment.
    wow--now I have to take another look at all I've written and maybe (no, probably) start all over again.
    Celebrating the chance to beginner again

Gassho, Ann

To correct is OK , Ann.
    I do both, correct and create.
    I call it my junk. Poetry for me is just like taking the garbage out. Drinking a glass of water.
    Stuff like that.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you so much for the Comments and the Tips!

Like our practice it is so simple; yet hard to do.

Thank you again

Deep Gassho

Rafael

Indeed, many thanks for the guidance.

Gassho
    Taylor

Taigu, a quick question.

I was reading some of Issa's haiku and they seem to follow one of a few patterns. First, there is the fragment line you spoke of:

Fly Butterfly!
    I feel the dust if this world
    weighting my body

But then there are those which read more so like a continuous sentence:

How comfortable
    my summer cotton robe
    when drenched with sweat

Are these two different styles of haiku or merely a result of the poem being written rather than following any set form?

Gassho,
    Taylor

About a dream I had, though the last stanza is missing a third line!

---

A tower of beds
    One stacked upon the other
    Each smaller than the one below

At various levels:
    Geisha folding underwear

Rev. Taigu,

In the below haiku, the fragment relates to the phrase, but is not directly a part of it. May I ask if this is acceptable or not?

eternal summer
    plastic trees
    in the basement
    --17 Dec 2010

Metta,

Perry

Hi Perry, perfect Haiku really. The fragment does not have to be part of the phrase. Actually, if it is not and does not even relate to it, it can really create a great contrast and open our space.
    Yes Taylor, sometimes one sentence. The great thing about Haiku can be also said about our practice, zazen, there are rules to be followed but these rules also have to be forgotten. Not always so.
    If you open yourself to the reality, then the words come out as the should. Perfectly following or not following the traditional pattern.

gassho

Taigu

Hi Perry, perfect Haiku really. The fragment does not have to be part of the phrase. Actually, if it is not and does not even relate to it, it can really create a great contrast and open our space.
    Yes Taylor, sometimes one sentence. The great thing about Haiku can be also said about our practice, zazen, there are rules to be followed but these rules also have to be forgotten. Not always so.
    If you open yourself to the reality, then the words come out as the should. Perfectly following or not following the traditional pattern.

gassho

Taigu
    Well it just so happens my reality seems to flow as a sentence :P haha

Many a gassho,
    Taylor

Read your junk
    Beautiful pictures framed
    Taigu.

Gassho Nigel

This is a short video I put together a couple years ago for a haiku blog I used to run:

http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

These are translations of Basho, Buson, Issa, Shiki, and Soseki.

This is a recent haiku of my own:

cold moonlight
    leaf and shadow
    tumbling

() josh

Thank you O Josh for this.

gassho

Taigu

Blue Mountain grazing
    with Taigu eyes
    delightful

gassho zak

Josh! That video was so beautiful. Thanks so much for posting it.

(That screen from the Art Institute of Chicago's collection made me so nostalgic, by the way. When I lived in Chicago I used to visit that museum on free days all the time. Ah!)

Gassho,

Jennifer

a broken paintbrush
    worn from made strokes raging
    just the full moon please

five seven five
    there are no more masters here
    one syllable short

messy brushstrokes
    ink runs bleeds through rice paper
    bamboo leaves now clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    a broken paintbrush
    worn from made strokes raging

clouds roll in
    cold and grey

Josh Thanks I really appreciate the link. gassho zak

I love the line from "Dharma Bums" which speaks of a haiku needing to be "simple as porridge and yet make you see the real thing"

snow covered stillness
    in the early morning
    sumatran coffee beans

Tonight it began snowing quite heavily, so heavily that I could see the steady, stream-like flow of shadows of the snowfall:

in lamplight
    a cascade of shadows...
    snowfall

() josh

Josh and Rich, thank you so much for these...

gassho

Taigu

the broom in the corner
    wait quietly for you
    simply sweeping

riding on juju
    kannon caresses my neck
    a mid evening walk

an old beer bottle
    left in the woods
    parties ended by the dawn