Thread: Fukushima Keido Roshi

Fukushima Keido Roshi

Before i abdandoned my teacher, i use to enjoy hearing about keido roshi.In fact i use get distracted in sesshin by his beautiful caligraphy hanging in the zendo.The last i heard he was in critical condition?Does anyone know about his status or would anyone like to relate their feelings/experiences with his teaching and art?

Re: Fukushima Keido Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorMcmanis
    Before i abdandoned my teacher, i use to enjoy hearing about keido roshi.In fact i use get distracted in sesshin by his beautiful caligraphy hanging in the zendo.The last i heard he was in critical condition?Does anyone know about his status or would anyone like to relate their feelings/experiences with his teaching and art?
    Hi Trevor,

First, welcome again here.

Why do you say that you "abandoned" your teacher? Hmmm.

I do not know much of Fukushima Roshi. He is a teacher in the Rinzai tradition, I gather?

http://sweepingzen.com/2009/12/23/keido-fukushima-bio/

However, I will ask through the Zen teachers grapevine and find out what I can, and will report back.

Gassho, Jundo

Sorry, I had the wrong link there before ...

http://sweepingzen.com/2009/12/23/keido-fukushima-bio/

I say i abandoned my teacher because i feel this is true.I discontinued my practice with my former teacher in a rather irresponsible way,In fact i dropped everything and did not communicate with them at all.I have much love and respect for both my past sangha and Grace.I can never forget the things i learned in that time period.I made the choice as a young man feeling the pressure and reality of what it means to uphold a comittment as serious as being a highly involved zen student.I was not sure if zen was an answer for the pressures and stress that i felt, i also began to doubt my my teacher.I did not want to let go of my attachments which might hinder practice or would hinder the dedication i wanted to have.I understand this is human nature and that i am young.I also cannot ignore the the seriousness of a true teacher student relationship.Zen practice is in my bones and i cannot escape the bodhisattva vow.so here i am hoping i can practice the way in a more structure fashion!!!If you can find out about fukushima i would appreciate that.I understand you and taigu teach strictly from the your lineage and dogens wisdom of shikantaza.This is also my calling and although i am highly interested in the other tradition "just sitting"is the practice i feel suits me best.

As far as I can tell, you have not abandoned anyone. You simply walked out the door quietly, appreciated the trees in the driveway, and walked off. Nothing abandoned, left unfed, no one left tossing and turning. Simply a quiet gassho as we walk on. You have walked here just as I have, it may not be our final stop, or it might. Either way, take in what you can and see where you go or where you stay.

Being young and full of adventure is beautiful, terrifying, confusing, and awesome. Ya dig?

19 years young,
    Taylor