Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO — Avoiding the Jive and Hype

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO — Avoiding the Jive and Hype

It’s almost to the point that there’s a flavor of Buddhism for everyone, especially in the West! From A is for Amida to Z is for Zen, there are groups and teachings of all stripes … the monastic and the “out in the world” types … traditional and tradition breaking … many teachers in between, mixing and matching. The Western Buddhist world comes in ten thousand colors and flavors!

And that can be GOOD! I have never been a “my way or the highway, one size fits all” kind of Buddhist. Different folks may require different medicines for what ails them. Find the path and teacher(s) right for you.

All you have to do, though, is avoid the snake oil, the image driven jive and hype, soothing but empty cliches, crazy cults, charismatic charlatans and ego maniac gurus professing “freedom from ego”, downright crooks and con-men, New Age dribble and pseudo-psycho-babble, fast food drive-though spirituality. Also, don’t fall into “spiritual materialism” … shopping around in the Dharma department store for the fluffy and flashy, for teachers of ‘anything goes, feel good philosophies’, “teachings” that just say what we want to hear (and not what we need to hear). Oh, and if you do stumble on a worthwhile practice, be sure not to quit too fast … as soon as it becomes a little demanding.

Do all that … and you’ll be just fine!

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuI4XOz3n3A[/video]]

To view other recent talks by Taigu and Jundo, head over to Shambhala Sunspace:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?author=101

Re: Sit-a-Long with Jundo — Avoiding the Jive and Hype

You know, last winter when I found myself becoming interested in Buddhism (again, sigh) I was still unsure which sect was right for me. I remember standing in the Buddhism aisle at Barnes & Noble looking at so many books with flowers and the word "happiness" on the cover. I was aware that I could just turn around and pick up one of the Doctor Phil (or whatever) books in the self-help section right behind me . . . and why didn't I just do that? What was I looking for? This is the first happy time in my adult life, and I'm looking for Buddhism . . . why?

I was lucky to have come across the one copy of "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" on the shelf. I was lucky to be able to read it with an open mind, even though it confused the hell out of me (still does, sometimes.) Lucky to have access to the internet, where I could go deeper into Shunryu Suzuki's history, and Zen history, and contemporary Buddhism, and now Treeleaf. I suspect the difference between my earlier dabblings in Buddhism and now (besides a big heap of maturity ) is the internet. There is so much information out here. Old stuff, new stuff, even scandals and squawks--whatever, it's very real. And now I sit every day, doing it just because it's what I do. I like that.

And I like that there is information out there that goes deeper than what the magazines and magazine blogs publish (ahem.) I'm here at Treeleaf today because some months ago I typed the word "kinhin" into YouTube and found Taigu's videos. And because I asked him a question and he was kind enough to answer (seriously, how many people do?) What I'm (finally) getting at is, anybody who WANTS to find this stuff, who wants to tread the deeper waters, can find them. No, it won't be everybody. And yes, some people are happier with the books with flowers on the cover. It's their choice; it's how things often are; big deal. I'm glad I can hear videos about the Genjokoan or the basics of sitting or the eightfold path from a ZEN SPECIFIC perspective. It's been very helpful in getting me on the road. So thanks.

Gassho-a-go-go,

Jennifer

Hi.

Thank you.
    One to keep.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Jundo,

Don't worry about not being able to reach thousands or millions to help them and to teach them...in your lifetime! You and Taigu have students, priests in training...and who knows who they are going to reach, or who their students are going to reach. You often speak about you and Taigu being the father and mother of Treeleaf, so I would hope that you both would want your children to accomplish something, as well as your grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren......

You may not be touching thousands or millions right now, but the seeds you are planting will.

Gassho, Gassho, gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Yes, a good one. I think you'd be surprised at how many people Treeleaf affects if even indirectly.

Ron

Thank you, Rev. Jundo.

I would second Ron's suggestion that Treeleaf affects people more than can be known.

This Sangha could be compared to leaves on a tree, but do the leaves always know when someone finds shelter in their shade?

Much metta,

Perry

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Thank you, Jundo. I'm glad that I found Treeleaf and can participate in a Soto Zen community. This is the right flavor for me.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you, Onkai, for bumping this thread. So I was just able to listen to and sit with Jundo's wonderful talk.

And thank you, Jundo, for having and maintaining TreeLeaf and this flavor of Buddhism that I seem to mesh with. Being a virtual sangha means i can visit easily and participate at odd times. I am not the type of person to regularly visit physical groups or socialize or desire frequent group contact in person. TreeLeaf seems to fit me perfectly, and this Buddhism seems to fill many missing pieces in my life without requiring me to accept or believe doctrines or dogmas that don't resonate. I have unanswered questions, but that is okay, because some questions cannot be answered, or are irrelevant to me. What IS relevant to me is what I need to fill or accept peacefully, and I feel I am finding that in Buddhism, here at TreeLeaf. I only hope that I am able to give back to TreeLeaf in a good and symbiotic way. The ability and safe space to question, to reflect, to empty, to move through things without solving or changing them, to coexist peacefully without having to conquer. I find that I am able to bring Buddhism to everything, and have everything exist within Buddhism. No compartmentalization needed

Gassho,
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Kyotai

Kyotai
    ST

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. With my husband being a Christian and my being a Buddhist, we have definitely learned that many religions have their fair share of "cult crazies", "ego maniacs" and the like.

It always makes me so, so thankful for Treeleaf and the teachings we receive here. When I left Christianity I kind of wandered around aimlessly for a while, unsure of where to go. I have always been a deep, spiritual type of person and had an unexplained heart calling to Buddhism, even as a young child. I looked into a few of these Oprah-best seller types and it just wasn't for me. It didn't take long and I ended up here.

So thank you, to Jundo, and all the priests and lay Buddhists who practice and learn at Treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today