Thread: Becoming a Monk

Becoming a Monk

Hello everyone,

Sorry to make another topic within a few days, don't mean to clog the boards. I was wondering though, how would someone in the United States become a monk? I'm curious to how that would work. If anyone knows of a website or something to read on it I would appreciate it.

Hands together,
    Will

P.S. I'm a young man, and I don't plan on moving to the monestary... atleast not this month. :P
    P.P.S. Now after Jukai who knows not I. All I know is that I'm sitting in a chair at home.

Re: Becoming a Monk

Quote Originally Posted by willjohndover
    Hello everyone,

Sorry to make another topic within a few days, don't mean to clog the boards. I was wondering though, how would someone in the United States become a monk? I'm curious to how that would work. If anyone knows of a website or something to read on it I would appreciate it.

Hands together,
    Will

P.S. I'm a young man, and I don't plan on moving to the monestary... atleast not this month. :P
    P.P.S. Now after Jukai who knows not I. All I know is that I'm sitting in a chair at home.
    Hi Will,

This is actually a topic which is the subject that Zen teachers in North America (and Europe too) are talking about all the time (I am in one just this week among members of the SZBA). In a nutshell, there are no set standards in the west, and each Sangha is adapting tradition to its conditions in many ways. Some require rather traditional years of monastery living, some are more "out in the world". All agree that the point is to nurture awakened and awakening teachers and others who will serve the Dharma.

This is very much related to another thread we had recently.

viewtopic.php?p=41369#p41369

Gassho, Jundo