Thread: Buddha-Basics (Part II) — Noble Truths

Buddha-Basics (Part II) — Noble Truths

These Basic Buddhist Teachings are for right in the heart of life, today in a hospital room with my wife, the night before surgery. Times like these are the true proving ground.

This Practice has no purpose or value… and it is at moments like this one that its value and purpose are crystal clear.

In life, there’s sickness, old age, death and loss… other very hard times… But that’s not why ‘Life is Suffering‘. Not at all, said the Buddha.
    Instead …

... it’s sickness, but only when we refuse the condition
    … old age, if we long for youth
    … death, because we cling to life
    … loss, when we cannot let go
    ... violated expectations, because we wished otherwise
    Our “dissatisfaction,” “disappointment,”‘ “unease” and “frustration” — Dukkha — arises as a state of mind, as our demands and wishes for how things “should be” or “if only would be for life to be content” differ from”the way things are.” Your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. That wide gap of “self” and “not self” is the source of Dukkha.
    Our Practice closes the gap; not the least separation.

What’s more, even happiness can be a source of Dukkha if we cling to the happy state, demand that it stay, are attached to good news, material successes, pleasures and the like, refusing the way life may otherwise go. That is also the “self” placing judgments and demands on life.

Fortunately, the Buddha provided the medicine for this disease of dis-ease: The Eightfold Path (which we will talk about in our next ‘Buddha-Basics’).

Oh, no amount of Practice can make times like these — sitting in a hospital room, in pain and awaiting the surgeon’s knife — fun. It is natural to worry too. Yet all is revealed as somehow okay: okay beyond okay, allowing all, yielding, flowing with the flowing, beyond worry (even in the heart of worry), resistance gone… letting it be.

The gap is closed. There is peace.

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-30-2022 at 01:12 AM.

Wow. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion to accept things as they come. I remember other Dharma talks where acceptance of things doesn't mean that you don't try to change them, for example, taking medicine to get well or trying to right an injustice. Is this principle sort of like the 12 step serenity prayer, i.e., "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"? Or is it more subtle (or just different) than that?

Gassho,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I recently gave a TED-like talk to a room of scientists here in Tsukuba, and I described Zen as sometimes like a "healthy Schizophrenia", two things going on in one's head at once, as one.

On the one hand, radical acceptance, dropping resistance, likes and dislikes, fears, regrets, "should be's" etc. ... no place further in need of going, nothing to attain ... to the marrow Wholeness with/as what is.

On the other one hand, normal life with things we like and dislike, good things and bad we need to walk toward or run from, things that harm and should be avoided and things that help and should be nourished, places to go and people to see, thing to get done.

Of course, a major aspect of our Practice is then figuring out how to live this life fitting that all together at once, as one!

It is like my friend who was sick ... she accepted fully the disease, even the possibility of her own upcoming death ...

... even as part of her was (naturally) afraid, uncomfortable, and taking her medicine aiming for a cure each day.

All at once.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo and Eric

The way I have come to accept this is that reality is never Absolute, (There are 'Absolutely no absolutes' - ). Our existence is to be present in this moment, see and accept it for what it is, but find the balance to live accordingly with what you believe is right to do at that very moment. This may include aspiring to future needs, whether for yourself or others. No absolute of black or white, just balance based on 'right view'.
    If you were to accept everything, with nothing of YOU to 'put in the mix', then I suppose your body and mind would be just as a leaf buffeted by the wind. We need to realize acceptance, but still live wholeheartedly at each and every moment for the benefit of all.

Gassho
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Aelric View Post
    Hi Jundo and Eric

The way I have come to accept this is that reality is never Absolute, (There are 'Absolutely no absolutes' - ). Our existence is to be present in this moment, see and accept it for what it is, but find the balance to live accordingly with what you believe is right to do at that very moment. This may include aspiring to future needs, whether for yourself or others. No absolute of black or white, just balance based on 'right view'.
    If you were to accept everything, with nothing of YOU to 'put in the mix', then I suppose your body and mind would be just as a leaf buffeted by the wind. We need to realize acceptance, but still live wholeheartedly at each and every moment for the benefit of all.

Gassho
    Nigel
    What you say is so, Nigel. There are absolutely no absolutes in this world, and we are just present in this moment as it is. Were there no "you" to pick and choose, one could not live in this relative world.

And yet ... there is the Absolute, Buddha, Big Mind (names do not matter here) whereby there is Absolutely no "you" "no world", no present or future, no black vs. white, and just the lovely Mix, the blowing of a Great Wind. No conflict in Suchness even in need of accepting.

By the Noble Path, one may come to realize that there is no contradiction there. And in such way, we Bodhisattvas live Wholeheartedly Wholeness in each and every Momentless Moment for the benefit of all.

Gassho, J

Elgwyn
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

More and more I can accept good and bad, and I will rely on inner ability to accept opposites comfort and discomfort
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Junor member.

It's me again, Elgwyn, friend of the elves, and I offer good humor this morning! Rule # 1 don't take yourself too seriously.

Hello Elgwyn,

Elf or not, may I trouble you to introduce yourself to the community here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-%28October%29

And to post a human face with your posts? It helps of stay human to each other ... or elfin. I sent you informaion, including our tips on confidentiality and photo posting, so please have a look.

You posts above are a little confusin! Might be elf speak.

Thank you or, as they say in elvish ... Guren *glassui

Gassho, J

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Gassho
    Dave sat today

Joyo

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Gassho

..sat2day•

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Eric,

Of course, a major aspect of our Practice is then figuring out how to live this life fitting that all together at once, as one!

It is like my friend who was sick ... she accepted fully the disease, even the possibility of her own upcoming death ...

... even as part of her was (naturally) afraid, uncomfortable, and taking her medicine aiming for a cure each day.

All at once.
    Thank you!

Gassho
    Gassho,
    Adam
    Sat today

Thank you Jundo. This is a very clear and direct presentation.
    Gassho
    David

Sattoday
    David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

It's great how these talks pop up and always seem to be right when needed. Thanks David!

Sometimes I wish our brains were hardwired with a little more natural tendency to be content and accept what is, rather than having to be trained continually to stop grasping. But then, that's even more wishing and non-accepting.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

I am having a difficult time being in the present moment( as reminded by Aelric)...causes frustration....thanks for the insights.

Gassho

Vipin

Sat2day

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by vipin View Post
    I am having a difficult time being in the present moment( as reminded by Aelric)...causes frustration....thanks for the insights.

Gassho

Vipin

Sat2day
    You too?? Good to know I'm not alone on that. I'll keep sitting if you do

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    It's great how these talks pop up and always seem to be right when needed. Thanks David!

Sometimes I wish our brains were hardwired with a little more natural tendency to be content and accept what is, rather than having to be trained continually to stop grasping. But then, that's even more wishing and non-accepting.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Hello,

Apparently, as the brain is the most complex *blah, blah, blah* it forgets nothing (mostly).

The present is holding the newborn.

It's eternal.

It's happening now.

It's always.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 04-02-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you for the teaching Jundo.

John
    Sat Today

I guess I never really understood just how hard I have been fighting the world...and life in general. I have a lot of work to do. Thank you!
    Dan
    Sat today!

What you say is so, Nigel. There are absolutely no absolutes in this world, and we are just present in this moment as it is. Were there no "you" to pick and choose, one could not live in this relative world.

And yet ... there is the Absolute, Buddha, Big Mind (names do not matter here) whereby there is Absolutely no "you" "no world", no present or future, no black vs. white, and just the lovely Mix, the blowing of a Great Wind. No conflict in Suchness even in need of accepting.

By the Noble Path, one may come to realize that there is no contradiction there. And in such way, we Bodhisattvas live Wholeheartedly Wholeness in each and every Momentless Moment for the benefit of all.

Gassho, J
    Thank You Jundo .

Gassho,
    eva
    isattoday and also LAH

My mother is currently facing a severe illness. This is very inspiring and helpful. Thank you so much Jundo.

Gassho,
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás Sard View Post
    My mother is currently facing a severe illness. This is very inspiring and helpful. Thank you so much Jundo.

Gassho,
    Sat
    We will dedicate Zazen and Metta to your mom, Tomas.

Gassho, Jundo

ST+Lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás Sard View Post

Gassho,
    Sat
    Espero que se ponga bien pronto—

Metta to you and your family and Gassho,
    Nick

Thank you Jundo and Nick, means a lot.

Gassho,
    Sat&LaH

Gassho
    Brianna
    sat today

Beautifully explained, Jundo. I feel like Zazen is like weightlifting / resistance training for the mind. I am out of the hospital with surgery and going through painful physical therapy myself and it's okay, the river flows on. Thank you so much for your great work here and everywhere else.

Gassho,
    Silviu
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyhere View Post
    Beautifully explained, Jundo. I feel like Zazen is like weightlifting / resistance training for the mind. I am out of the hospital with surgery and going through painful physical therapy myself and it's okay, the river flows on. Thank you so much for your great work here and everywhere else.

Gassho,
    Silviu
    SatToday
    We will dedicate all our sitting to your healing, Silviu.

Gassho, J

STLah

I am beyond grateful for all you do and this community.

Gassho,

Silviu.
    SatToday

We will dedicate all our sitting to your healing, Silviu.

Gassho, J

STLah
    I am beyond grateful for all you do and this community.

Gassho,

Silviu.
    SatToday

Truer words have never been spoken.

Sat today
    LAH
    Gassho
    Jen [tranquility]