Thread: Buddha-Basics (Part X) — Mindfully Right

Buddha-Basics (Part X) — Mindfully Right

The seventh branch of the Eightfold Path is “Right Mindfulness.”

It may be termed a ‘mindfulness’ of circumstances within and circumstances without (though truly, within is without, and without just within). Right Mindfulness of circumstances “within” includes being attentive to our inner mental-physical conditions, the causes and workings of the body-mind, emotions and thoughts..

We are aware so as to better understand ourselves by understanding mental origins and effects. By becoming aware of the processes, we may thereby gain a degree of acceptance, understanding and control over the mind.

Right Mindfulness of circumstances “without” is an awareness and understanding of the events that surround us in each moment, seeing clearly phenomena as they arise and how we perceive them. We experience how our inner condition, our thoughts and emotions, help create our experience of the world without. We learn to recognize the triggers and effects of greed, anger and ignorance as they arise in others and ourselves.
    Within” and “without”‘ are not apart. We learn to discern the nature of samsara, impermanent, possessing self yet lacking self, so often dissatisfactory to our own inner “self” which judges it. But we also learn how a change to our inner condition, our emotions and thoughts, will change our experience of all that.

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-10-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you Jundo

Gassho Dave
    sat today

Gracias

..sat2day•
    合掌

Cyd
    Gassho
    Cyd
    Sat2day

Profound teaching. Gassho
    Dave
    Sat today
    🙏🏻

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Rob

Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    John Miller
    SatToday

This is perhaps one of the most challenging aspects of this life style (for me at least) letting go of emotions like anger when it arises (as apposed to hanging on to it) not to mention all the mental garbage and judgments I attach to people, places and things. I have a long way to go!

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day

Thank you, Jundo. This is a hard but great practice. I hope I can advance on the Way so that I can recognize how and when greed, anger and ignorance arrives in mind.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today

It's great to have these reminders pop up in the forum from time to time. No matter how long we practice, it is easy to lose sight of the basics in the daily shuffle. We always need to renew our commitment to looking deeply into ourselves and our motivations, over and over.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Gassho

Teiro

Sat
    Teiro

Wonderful lesson thank you so much. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Culadasa and his work, but awhile back I was really interested in his version of Vipassana mostly utilizing The Mind Illuminated. Would this right mindfulness be similar to his idea of metacognitive introspective awareness? Given the two descriptions I feel like they're very similar, although his method feels like it has a much more clinical, by the book approach to the matter. Any insight (no pun intended) into this would very helpful!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyPenguin View Post
    Wonderful lesson thank you so much. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Culadasa and his work, but awhile back I was really interested in his version of Vipassana mostly utilizing The Mind Illuminated. Would this right mindfulness be similar to his idea of metacognitive introspective awareness? Given the two descriptions I feel like they're very similar, although his method feels like it has a much more clinical, by the book approach to the matter. Any insight (no pun intended) into this would very helpful!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday
    Hmmm. I feel that Zen folks are generally much much less analytical about the elements of mind, and certainly not so focused on identifying them one by one. Ours might be termed more of a "light" awareness such as "Oh, I am angry now ... let that go." No need to inventory thoughts and emotions one by one, to be constantly mindful of each as they arise one by one, especially as a meditation practice.

Also, from what I know of Culadasa (not so much), he is extremely interested in using meditation and other techniques to attain unusual brain states, very goal oriented and based on attaining deep concentration states. So, no, very different from Shikantaza.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Oh I completely agree, that's part of what turned me off of his methods after awhile, the clinical nature of his approach just felt like it took a lot out of the actual experience. In this case I was mainly just referring to his notion of metacognitive introspective awareness, but I can see now that they're not really similar at all. Thank you for the response!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am enjoying this series of videos, but this one especially. I have been working through these after completing the beginner series, watching one at the beginning of each sit each day. Yesterday I watched this video on mindfulness, and today I watched it again because I found it so useful for setting my orientation / state of mind at the beginning of sitting. I think this series will be good to return to later, too. Thank you, Jundo.

Charity
    STLaH

I often will go back and rewatch. Often getting a slightly different take than I did before.

Thanks,

Shinshi
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    It's great to have these reminders pop up in the forum from time to time. No matter how long we practice, it is easy to lose sight of the basics in the daily shuffle. We always need to renew our commitment to looking deeply into ourselves and our motivations, over and over.
    Gassho2, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Meian; 04-30-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    I often will go back and rewatch. Often getting a slightly different take than I did before.
    Gassho2, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post

That sounds like a very good idea.

Charity
    sat

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi