Thread: Zafu and Zabuton to be left outdoors ??

Zafu and Zabuton to be left outdoors ??

I'm looking to buy another Zafu and Zabuton to just leave outdoors on the meditation platform in my garden but I want it to be "weatherproof"...kinda like a patio cushion. Anyone here own such a thing? Most places just sell cotton products and I'm guessing they don't fair too well when permanently left outdoors. Any guidance is appreciated!

Re: Zafu and Zabuton to be left outdoors ??

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    I'm looking to buy another Zafu and Zabuton to just leave outdoors on the meditation platform in my garden but I want it to be "weatherproof"...kinda like a patio cushion. Anyone here own such a thing? Most places just sell cotton products and I'm guessing they don't fair too well when permanently left outdoors. Any guidance is appreciated!
    Stone

Seiza Bench

Yep, I always sit on a bench, and when being outdoor I use a termal mat like used below sleeping bags, I cut it in size, my knees appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Stone
    Oh what a hard Master you are!!! :shock: That would require me buying a tube of Preparation H for each and every sitting!! ops:

Johnny , do you leave your other "cushions" out in the weather all the time? If you do they must be some sort of polyurethane (sp) covered stuff to stand the rain, etc. I even take those in when it rains because the insides still get "gooshy". But yoiu could have a zabuton and zafu made with that sort of covering by a patio retailer for a price.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Stone
    Oh what a hard Master you are!!! :shock: That would require me buying a tube of Preparation H for each and every sitting!! ops:

Seishin Kyrill
    I do use a rock for outside, but I've made sure to find a nice angled one that "fits" the backside!

Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee

I do use a rock for outside, but I've made sure to find a nice angled one that "fits" the backside!
    There is a rock out there for every backside. 8)

Thanks for all the ideas! I decided that I would use this situation as an opportunity to practice not being so lazy and just carry the damn cushions outside when I wanted to use them! LOL

Actually, it really was an opportunity for me to see how I can tend to put off sitting if things aren't "just so".....thanks to this forum for helping me see that

johnny -- the inflatable zafu that they sell online is just a zafu with an inflatable beach ball inside -- i actually sat a 10 day retreat with one, by choice -- it was the most comfortable zafu at the retreat center -- you have to adjust it for firmness to your liking -- this is also what i take camping, and in a pinch, can be used without the cloth shell

the beach ball is sold at dollar stores for, of course, $1

being a thin man, without much bottom, i find this better for longer sits than a rock :wink:

gassho, roky

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    johnny -- the inflatable zafu that they sell online is just a zafu with an inflatable beach ball inside -- i actually sat a 10 day retreat with one, by choice -- it was the most comfortable zafu at the retreat center -- you have to adjust it for firmness to your liking -- this is also what i take camping, and in a pinch, can be used without the cloth shell

the beach ball is sold at dollar stores for, of course, $1

being a thin man, without much bottom, i find this better for longer sits than a rock :wink:

gassho, roky
    of course, the rubber beach ball does tend to make a little squeeky noise whenever you move. kind of like a zafu-whoopee cushion. :shock: at least, that is my experience.

(for those in many lands who may not know what a whoopee cushion is) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopee_cushion

uhhhh, jundo, that wasn't the ball ops:

Try picking up a "Yoga block." It's like a thick, stiff brick of foam used in some yoga practices and easily found wherever you get yoga supplies. I find they're reasonably comfortable, sit high enough off the ground, are very lightweight, durable and waterproof. (I would reccomend the foam variety over the cork ones, however.) Makes a great, highly portable "emergency Zafu." And it beats the heck out of sitting on a cold rock up here in the mountains of the Northeast...