Thread: Liturgy as part of daily practice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Liturgy as part of daily practice

My exposure to Zen liturgy is limited to what I've read here in the Treeleaf chant book, the forums, and a book I purchased earlier this year called "Celebrating Everyday Life" by John Daido Loori.

In any case, the book talks about how to integrate liturgy into daily lay practice. For instance, reciting "The Heart Sutra" followed by "The Heart Sutra Dedication". There is another service called "HEALING SERVICE DEDICATION", which involves reciting the "Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo".

I've been following the suggested liturgy pattern in that book but, since I'm part of this Sangha, I'd like to do what this Sangha does, e.g. chanting the translations of "The Four Bodhisattva Vows" used by treeleaf, etc.

In any case, is it part of Treeleaf's tradition to chant the "Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo", or recommend chanting "The Heart Sutra" followed by a dedication in daily practice?

**EDIT
    I guess more generally, are there liturgy practices, in our tradition, to incorporate with daily practice?

empty_fullness
    I found the following website to be a great resource. Very well put together and accurate too.

http://www.shinmeidokujoh.blogspot.com/

Who ever put that together went through almost as much work as Jundo and Taigu.

When I first really started sitting on a consistent and earnest basis earlier this year, I was still a bit spiritually shattered from my previous experiences. This led to a discontentment with general zen buddhist liturgies out there circulating on the web.

If only I had found Treeleaf sooner

So I went in search of prayers to chant before and after I sit.

I found that blog and put together my own home liturgy.

Studying various sources around the net ( a dangerous endeavor indeed LOL) I've always found the Zen attitude toward prayers, shrines, and altars a bit curious.

I feel like my practice is enhanced by simple chants of homage in the three jewels, varying sutras I feel connected with, and dedicating my merits.

Maybe I'll abandon this boat when I reach the other shore. Until then, I need oars