This topic is related to (but I think different from) the "Being Bad" thread currently under discussion. I perceive (incorrectly, I'm sure) an inconsistency within what I have heard/read/know about Zen. On one hand, it seems you are encouraged to practice zazen, still your mind, and let your "buddha nature" come through. You are discouraged from judging thoughts as good or bad, just letting those thoughts leave your mind and returning to "the clear blue sky". This will allow you (over time) to realize your buddha nature and will result in compassion for others (since you will realize "they" and "you" are one, not two). You will learn to recognize the stories of your discursive mind as the BS that they truly are and will not be deceived into acting on them, etc. In this way, you will "unconsciously" realize the precepts of Buddhism.

This approach, it seems to me, DOES NOT INCLUDE consciously modifying your current behavior to conform to Buddhist ideals/precepts. In fact (again, it seems to me) that actively attempting to modify your behavior is actually counterproductive, much in the same way that judging your thoughts during zazen is counterproductive, and that changed behavior is a result of practice, NOT the result of conscious behavior modification.

Anybody care to correct my understanding?

Thanks,

Craig