Thread: Sand Mandala

Sand Mandala

A lovely short film on the creation of a Sand Mandala in the Tibetan way. Although not a tradition in the Zen schools (those guys are a lot more colorful than we are!), the heart of this work is the same ... one grain, and one grain, and just one grain ... all amid impermanence ...

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/?hpt=C2

I am reminded of a story, perhaps apocryphal (I have not tracked down the original) told of a group of Tibetan monks invited to create a sand mandala at a museum in San Francisco. After days of precise, careful work ... one grain and one grain for hundreds of thousands of grains ... a passing homeless man who was disturbed, as the mandala neared completion, jumped into it and, kicking his feet, destroyed the fruits of all that effort! The museum staff was aghast!

But not the monks. What did they do?

They cleaned the floor, bowed, and began again ... one grain, and one grain, and just one grain ... impermanence ...

Re: Sand Mandala

I once saw a YouTube video of a security camera showing something like that (I think it was a kid who walked over it and kicked the sand around). I just looked, but can't find it.

I saw part of the creation of a sand mandala once, in a museum in Nice, France. It was very interested. It was nearly finished when I was there, and during the couple of hours I was in the museum, I would go back and watch them do it several times. The attention to detail is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    I once saw a YouTube video of a security camera showing something like that (I think it was a kid who walked over it and kicked the sand around). I just looked, but can't find it.
    This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtR9g39fnBQ[/video]]

Yep, that's it.

it kinda reminds me of our rakusu sewing.
    we just do it one stitch at a time.

Gassho, Dojin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    it kinda reminds me of our rakusu sewing.
    we just do it one stitch at a time.

Gassho, Dojin.
    ...and sometimes have to tear out what we've sewn.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill