There is a story on Slate.com today about the PBS Buddha documentary that I thought was interesting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2249958/

The basic idea of the article is that Buddhism is becoming more mainstream and leaving its countercultural image behind. This is something that's always concerned me as a westerner who's interested in Buddhism. I have to admit that one of my biggest problems since starting a Zen practice is the fear that anyone but my wife will find out about it. While I find it to be a deeply significant practice that does wonderful things for me and gives me a clearer approach to my day-to-day life - I am embarrassed by my interest in it too. I hate to admit it, but I am.

I am a skeptic and a down-to-earth person. I like real things. I'm of a generation raised on TV and thus very suspicious of image-making. I want nothing to do with something new age, no enlightenment, no mandalas, no Maitreya, no crystals, no chakras, nothing mystical, no lotus blossoms. The things my parent's generation considers cool, far out, and mind-expanding are very lame to me. Chanting freaks me out. I never want to wear a robe. I know that many of these things have nothing to do with Zen or even Buddhism, but they are part of the environment surrounding it. Take a look at the advertisements in Tricycle Magazine for evidence. I am also uncomfortable adopting the trappings of eastern culture. The whole thing seems vaguely tainted with colonial condescension and romanticism and for me, at least, it would be fake, a pose. Yet, here I am, cringing when these things come up, but following the path none-the-less.

I was initially attracted to Buddhism for its content, but put off by its style. I found Zen, which is the least stylized, most minimal form of Buddhism I know of, and I'm mostly ok with it. My vision of what it might be like in the future, in the west, is even more minimal, even more stripped down. This would make me much more comfortable with it. Would it make it less appealing to you guys?

I get the impression from a few of the posts on this forum that there are some people here precisely because they are attracted to the parts of Buddhism I don't like so much. I am not trying to criticize or begrudge what appeals to others. If it works for you, it works for you. But I bet there are others like me around here too. While I'm sure I offended some people with my thoughts, they are my honest thoughts. So, how about it? Could there ever be something like a truly American Zen? Something the average Joe could do without feeling silly? What would it look like? Would you still want to be a part of it?

Jamie