Thread: Sitting with the Sangha

Sitting with the Sangha

Hi folks
    For anyone who is interested and able, to Fugen and I are going to make a commitment to sit every (at least one of us!)Sunday @ 3pm (New York) or 9pm (Tibro, Sweden), 4pm (Fredericton New Brunswick) In the Meeting hall for cup a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLRQCA4eog[/video]]tea Please feel free to join in.

Gassho
    Shohei/Fugen! (not 2! )

Re: Sitting with the Sangha

Thank you, Shohei. That is wonderful.

Gassho, Jundo

(that's 4am here in Japan, but I might drop in one of these day/nights)

Shohei/Fugen,

Sounds great! Usually that is a busy time on Sunday, but I will see if I can shuffle my schedule around one of these weeks and join in.

Gassho,
    Jisen

Would love to join you for tea and a sit, consider me there.
    is there any special need to know technical info?, I have never been to the meeting hall.
    Gassho~ Dave.

Hi Dave most Q/A's on the meeting and Zen halls can be seen Here.
    See you then!

Gassho
    Shohei

Shohei,

I'll be there and am very pleased to join you, Fugen, and anyone else who can sit (on cam or not...at that particular hour or not)...looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

P.S. Will you be having "tea" before or after sitting? And will that take place in the meeting hall and/or the zen hall?

Hiya Dosho
    In the Meeting Hall, its BYOT :wink: just a chance for people to come a bit closer - nothing formal.

Gassho!

Hi.

Just adding a short mealchant (it is after all a teaparty)...

(Hands in Gassho)
    This food comes from the efforts
    of all sentient beings past and present,
    and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice.
    We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
    to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
    and to all life in every realm of existence.
    May all sentient beings in the universe
    be sufficiently nourished.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1917&p=27118&hilit=meal+chant# p27118

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Appologies to folks @ tea time I guess a 1.5mb/512kbs old satellite connection cannot handle so much information at once :C Nice to see you guys there though! Funny how that is since webex i had no issues. I think its the fact that Mebeam just sends everyones full streams and only scales down each persons image in the flash player...not the background data. Hope you all got to chat a bit! Nice to have voices and faces to the text and images

G.............ass......ho
    Sh...........oh................................... ....ei...............

Shohei and everyone!

Yes, putting still photos with moving faces and voices was very nice, even a bit delayed. I think this has given me a bit more confidence in dealing with my shyness, so I hope to talk with folks again! If I'm ever quiet, just chat me up...I talk plenty once I get to know people....so much so you may wish you hadn't unmuted me! :lol:

I have now downloaded skype and will have to try that out soon too.

Hope to meet everyone eventually!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all,

It was nice to see you all, if only for a brief few minutes. I would like to try sitting with you, how ever we can make it work. I'm on Skype now, too. We shall see...

take care,
    Kelly - Jinmei

That was very fun, and nice to see you all, yes the technology lacks well worth trying skype perhaps see if it is more forgiving I know it does well at handling varying internet speed by auto adjusting pic quality.
    My skype handle is: dday6675 if I am online the door is always open if anyone wants to meet and test their system or just say hi feel free to ring me. I'll keep the tea warm. see you all soon.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Oh! i missed you Jinmei! perhaps you were my invisible square!!... anywho perhaps we could share our skype names and add each other? dont know just a suggestion...shoot it down if it doesnt make sense

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi Shohei,

I saw you when I first got on, then it threw me out . I'm not that familiar with Skype yet, but practice is always good. I wish I would have checked the forums earlier and then I could have sat with you all, oh well, there's always next time. Usually my husband is watching sports and my kids are playing the Wii on Sunday afternoons, so I'm free.

I'll keep checking back here to see what the consensus is.

take care,
    Kelly - Jinmei

(**Removed my Skype name for security purposes. Anyone interested can PM me and/or Fugen)

Hi folks!
    Very good idea!
    I couldn't be with you this time, but I hope I'll take the tea with you all next Sunday! :wink:

Gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Technical difficulties aside,it was very nice to place voices with the faces, today and meet everyone present. I'm on Skype as well - ******(pm me if you don't have my id already ) -(I just keep on adding initials ) I hope we can all try again next week.
    Gassho,
    T

Skype ID: dosho17

Bonus points if anyone can correctly guess why it's 17.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi.

Notice for everyone wanting to be on the skypelist and not wanting the whole world to know their skype, please pm me your skype and i'll add you to the list and send it along..

Things aside, it was a good practice.
    Now we just have see what we can do to make it work...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I'm not very computer literate. Anyone know if there is a tutorial for using skype somewhere?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi,

It is very easy to download and install ... I do not think it is possible to have a "group video chat" there (only one on one), although you can have an audio conference call.

This should tell you what you need. Just download, have a cheap video camera and a microphone, input the nickname of the person you are trying to call ... and call (then click the button to turn the camera on, or select the option to have it come on immediately in "options/video settings"). Not much more to know.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/windows/

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/

You know, living in Japan, with relatives scattered from England to Chicago, I am closer to these folks now via Skype (we share meals every couple of months over the continents, their dinner is our breakfast and such) than ever in my life when we got together once a year if that. Not to mention that it is all FREE if calling Skype to Skype, virtually free if calling to a regular or cell phone domestic or overseas (I used to have $200 a month phone bills when I was courting my wife between Japan and the U.S.). It is a little temperamental depending on the internet connection that day, and the sound quality can be like an old cell phone from the 90's. Otherwise, great system.

And, of course, some of Treeleaf would not be possible without it!

Gassho, Jundo

Thank You Jundo.

Ron

Hi all!
    We are still sitting This tea-time every Sunday, However we are doing so on skype, instead of the meeting hall, for the time being. If you would like to jump in please pm Fugen (as he has the skype list, and faster internet ). If you already have Fugen (or my own) Skype account added and were online please join in Same time, same space!

Gassho
    Shohei and Fugen via skype

**nice catch on my bad grammar Fugen

Just bumping this up again
    We are still sitting this on skype and would welcome anyone who wants to shoot the breeze and share a cup of tea to join in. Shoot Fugen your skype name if you haven't before and then just turn on skype it will be a video-less meeting since that's how it works in skype with more than 2 participants how ever that's not a bad thing either for folks a bit camera shy

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi.

Skype has announced that there will be a beta for up to five people videoconference (as i was told by hans) so maybe we'll get to see each other...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

Skype has announced that there will be a beta for up to five people videoconference (as i was told by hans) so maybe we'll get to see each other...
    There was a kind of plug-in called Festoon wich allow at least 5 people on videoconference. But I don't know if it is still compatible with the new version of Skype.
    There is also another free program called oovoo wich allow 6 people on videoconference. http://www.oovoo.com/
    And there is also another website, called videoconference.com wich allow a video meeting of 5 or 6 people without any registration. http://www.videoconference.com/

Hope it helps

gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Is this still going on currently? Do people still meet Sundays at 3pm est? Or, has this become a Skype only sort of thing...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Heathen
    Is this still going on currently? Do people still meet Sundays at 3pm est? Or, has this become a Skype only sort of thing...?
    Hi.

We're still on.
    We moved away from the meeting hall because it didn't really support our sittings when having a lot of people and a low bandwidth.
    So we moved on to skype and it works out nice.
    Same thing, different program.

As for the different programs i leave that to those who understands those things (Shohei? :roll: :lol: )

And everybody's welcome, just grab something to drink and eat and have an open mind, open heart and a smile.

It's all good practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen