Hi everyone!

I just finished a book about early Zen buddhism in china who emphasize on the role of the Lankavatara sutra in early Zen. You know the sutra who relates the teachings of the historical Buddha when he was in Sri Lanka ( :lol: ).
I must confess I never read the sutra from the beginning to the end... and I don't want to analyze the sutra.
But this sutra was an important part of early Zen teachings. Bodhidharma himself gave the sutra to his successor and emphasize on his importance.
I also know in these times, especially in China, a lot of schools emphasizing on a single sutra emerged ( Ekayana - the one path, or vehicle- in opposition to other traditional schools who described themself as only or strictly Mahayana or Theravada). And it seems that in the beginning, Zen school ( or Lanka School) was one of them.

Ekayana type of schools each emphasize on different teachings but with the same idea that the "buddhist path is One" and if I'm not wrong Dogen himself claimed that he wasn't teaching Zen but Buddhism.

Of course, it was a long time ago and things are different now. Zen buddhism as spread over the world and has now a a lot of different flavors... even if they all have a lot in common ...

I just wanted to ask : "What still remains of the Lankavatara sutra (or the Ekayana point of view - the One buddhist path ) in today's Zen Soto School?"

Gassho,
Luis/Jinyu