Hello friends,
I have a question to those of you who have experience of Sanbo Kyodan.

The background is that the only real chance for me to go on sesshin around here (with my pay scale) is with a group within the Sanbo Kyodan tradition. During a sesshin this last weekend it became apparent that there were enough differences between what I have learned in my studies here with the treeleaf sangha and that of the Sanbo Kyodan teacher that I think I need some guidance. I think having a better grasp of the two traditions would make me a lot less confused during teisho or dokusan with the Sanbo Kyodan teacher. I realize of course that there are also significant differences between individual teachers.

I want to keep going on sesshings with the Sanbo Kyodan teacher, but I want to practice within the tradition we share here at Treeleaf. My question to you is: what differences do you know between the two traditions?

I have spoken a bit with Jundo beforehand and he brought up:
Likely, the Sanbo Kyodan group will emphasize Koan Zazen and reaching Kensho, not Shikantaza and "Just Sitting". You will find considerable differences (and considerable similarities about other things). Same but different, very different but the same.
I have searched the forum and our earlier discussions seems to bring up mainly the kensho focus and variations in handling of precept study/ethics, as have come up in the jukai discussions concerning aitkens book.
'
Differences I think I have noted myself are:
  • Emphasis on yourself, deemphasis of other beings and strong deemphasis of non-human beings in the first bodhisattva vow.
  • Deemphasis on ethics and precept study - the eightfold path is directly actualized through enlightenment, precept study is for laymen not interested zazen or enlightenment.
  • Teaching seems to not actively include/mention the possible necessity for change. (In my interpretation, Jundo tends to emphasis simultaneous acceptance AND work to change)

I think it might be wise to also point out that I am not trying to discredit Sanbo Kyodan. I'm just looking for advice with going on sesshin with a group whose tradition might not always harmonize with my own.

Gassho,
Em