Thread: Shodo Harada Roshi

Kenzen

Shodo Harada Roshi

I recently seen a documentary on Shodo Harada Roshi . It believed it took place at Cold Mountain Sangha in Washington State during a sesshin. His words are very inspiring and I thought I would share the links to the video. They are on Youtube! It's in seven different parts that I posted on my blog.

http://www.kenezen.blogspot.com

Re: Shodo Harada Roshi

Thank you for sharing !

Gashho

Good watching, Thank you for sharing.

gassho.
    ~Dave

A word of caution everybody...I have great respect for the tradition that Harada roshi represents, student of the great Yamada Mumon Roshi, abbot of Myoshinji and great Koan teacher. The tradition here is Rinzai. The emphasis on abdominal breathing, the need to clear up our mind, to bow in front of that pure nature which pervades everything have a clear taste of a different tradition from the one we practice here. Dogen, the founder of our tradition, never mentions abdominal breathing, never say that only dusting the mirror is it, and that bowing is something special apart from bowing. What I really want to say is what Jundo said already many times, one should not mix traditions, not because some traditions or practice styles are superior to others, but because once you practice too many things, it gets very confusing. One thing at a time. I find what Harada roshi says very touching particularly when he speaks about everyday life, and at the same time I can sense this same intention, effort, will that is one of the flavors of his style, and of many Japanese teachers. I would like to add that I also sense an idealistic edge to his approach, the fact he strictly opposes the self and the pure buddha nature. This, in my limited understanding, is not what is the core of our tradition which is nondual in essence.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    A word of caution everybody...I have great respect for the tradition that Harada roshi represents,... The tradition here is Rinzai. The emphasis on abdominal breathing, the need to clear up our mind, to bow in front of that pure nature which pervades everything has a clear taste of a different tradition from the one we practice here. .... One thing at a time. I find what Harada roshi says very touching particularly when he speaks about everyday life, and at the same time I can sense this same intention, effort, will that is one of the flavors of his style, and of many Japanese teachers. I would like to add that I also sense an idealistic edge to his approach, the fact he strictly opposes the self and the pure buddha nature. This, in my limited understanding, is not what is the core of our tradition which is nondual in essence.

gassho

Taigu
    Brother Taigu speaks my mind.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    What I really want to say is what Jundo said already many times, one should not mix traditions, not because some traditions or practice styles are superior to others, but because once you practice too many things, it gets very confusing.
    The same is true with music instruction . . . one thing at a time, else one lose track of the coherence of the genre.

Gassho,
    Eika