Thread: Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy This Book?

Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy This Book?

Hello All!
    I'm just wondering if anyone has or knows where I can buy this book: "Coffinman: The Journal of a Buddhist Mortician" ?
    I'm currently in University to become a mortician and this looks like a good book. Chapters and Amazon won't ship the book to me in Canada as it's a rare book. I almost wish I was an American! Also, is there any other book anyone could recommend? I'm trying to stay rooted in my own beliefs while helping families with different backgrounds in a very Christian and Catholic area of Calgary. As always, I welcome your advise and sharing of knowledge!
    Have a great weekend,
    Kelly

Re: Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy This Book?

Hi Kelly
    Only thing i can say is forget your beliefs (of course while not forgeting a single thing :P)and honor theres - Buddhist, Christian, Hindu or atheist we all are Human beings and all know and understand suffering brought by the loss of a loved one( no matter if we think they will be back/never left/ or are off like a light switch). Id say from personal experience grieve and shed tears with the folks when they are grieving. Shed tears with them and that is your practice! Do the best job you can for them while being the sensitive person that you are. Pour your self in to your work and let it speak volumes of your dedication to save all sentient beings!

Perhaps others will have a better way to point at where i was headed with that

As for the Book - Amazon.com lists it as 2 new copies in stock from a bookstore in California that ships internationally for a few extra bucks.
    $14.95 + $3.99shipping New

Seller: BCA Bookstore
    Rating:100% positive over the past 12 months (29 ratings.) 29 lifetime ratings.
    Shipping: In Stock. Ships from CA, United States. Expedited shipping available. International shipping available. See Shipping Rates. See return policy.
    Comments: Brand New. Provided by the official bookstore for the Buddhist Churches of America, and authorized supplier of Shin Buddhist books from Japan.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

You should give that at try!

Gassho
    Shohei

Here are a bunch (price in Canadian dollars, includes shipping to Canada!)

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 0mortician

I can recommend two Japanese movies ... both entertaining, funny, true, poignant ... (the latter is loosely based on the Coffinman book)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funera ... 84_film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departures_%28film%29

Both should be out on DVD

Gassho, Jundo

Hi.

I'd like to side with shohei and Jundo and say "when this happens do this, when that happens do that".
    To someone they are important, treat them accordingly.
    Treat every person as a "jewel of yourself", because they are.

If you manage that, you've come a long way, no matter what.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi Kelly,

I used to work as a berievement counsellor and I can say that there is frankly nothing I can add to the exellant advice given by Shohei & Fugen. Follow that and you will not go far wrong. Its all about acknowleging someones grief and not throwing in your own "two cents".

That book looks good, I must put it on my wish list. All the best in your career. Let us know how it goes.

Daiku

Thank you all for your help. I take so much information from you and hopefully someday I'll be able to do the same for others! Thank you