Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sitting Hall

Re: The Sitting Hall

Hi Richard,
    Just a brief sitting today, with a slight interruption from my son Leon, but it's all good.
    Great to share the space with you too, see you soon.
    Gassho
    Gary

Hey y'all, is the Sitting Hall down? Maybe it's temporary, but I tried to log in just now (to http://videocallroom.oovoo.com/room/shoh3i/room/1) and received the following message:

The requested ooVoo video call URL was not found. Please make sure that the URL was entered correctly.

When I tried the link through Treeleaf, I received this message:

There was a problem, please try to call again.

Going to sit sans Zendo now. Thanks for the help.

gassho,
    Chris

Over my shoulder rain taps on the window,
    the wind calls my name,
    like daylight my thoughts fade,
    sitting in Zazen open but unmoved.

Thank you for sitting.
    With gratitude
    Gary

Hello,

New to Treeleaf Zendo and I just sat for the first time using the zendo meditation timer. Very nice! No longer a need for my standard sit watch timer with its alarm. I noticed from this screen a Zen Hall (Live) button and haven't tried that yet - but looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Tainin

Being only a few weeks in Treeleaf I am always finding new things out, like the Sitting Halls. I was going to sit this morning before I attended Hanh's Christmas Eve Dharma Talk and thought it'd be a perfect opportunity to do that online as well. I had no technical issues at all, video came up and I saw myself. However, I was wondering if this is what we are supposed to see. I've seen a few pictures on the thread of a meditation hall (zafu's & zabutons) so just wanted to make sure. I am assuming that when more people are together the video will split to show all persons?

Thank you for this, I will try to watch the calendar and join others, in the mean time, I will also attempt to join when I am sitting.

Gassho,

Shawn

Shawn;

As each person comes on-line an additional window (like your own) is added until the entire screen is filled. Hope to see you there some time.

gassho, Richard

Hi Shawn & Tainin -- nice to see new faces in the Sitting Hall. It's a great aid to my practice; unfortunately, there usually aren't very many people there. I post my sitting times in advance on the schedule, so others can join me if they would like. Sometimes other events come up (like my son's night wakings tonight) but I'm on schedule more often than not.

gassho,
    Chris

I plan to start joining some of the scheduled times in the coming weeks. Things have been crazy with the holidays and my practice has been irregular. But I hope to sit with some of you soon!

Cheers,
    Matt

Hi Chris,

Thanks. Seeing others like yourself listed on the schedule regularly has certainly motivated me to get in there. Having a sitting hall like this available is incredible! My schedule has required last minute sit times so far but one of these days I will get in there when others are there too!

Gassho,
    Tainin

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the company! I'm slowly getting back on the horse.

Ron

you're not the only one who fell off the horse either, Ron. We need to sit together again.Been too long, yeah?

Yep, It's been a while. I still sit most nights around 9 .

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonin
    you're not the only one who fell off the horse either, Ron. We need to sit together again.Been too long, yeah?
    Ron

Will have to keep an eye out for ya tommorrow night then.

We have five inches of snow in the forecast for Sunday-Monday. For people in the northern part of the world, this would be an amusing distraction. In the South, it's on par with the end of civilization.... think Beyond the Thunderdome on ice. During Snowpocalypse '09, the power was out for three days. Perhaps more scary than any of the above is the fact that you may have to do without seeing me in the Hall for a few days should we go off the grid. The horror.... the horror.....

Nice to see you back on the schedule, Shinko.

gassho, y'all.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDots
    ...Snowpocalypse '09...
    Lol

Things be gettin' warmer soon...

Hello all,
    Glad to be back in the Always Open Treeleaf Zendo. Nice to know it's always there. See you around.
    Gassho,
    Soen

When I scheduled myself for the sitting hall this evening, I forgot about the BCS (college football) championship game. I probably won't be in the hall. (depends when halftime is)

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    When I scheduled myself for the sitting hall this evening, I forgot about the BCS (college football) championship game. I probably won't be in the hall. (depends when halftime is)

Ron
    Zazen is fine during Half time ... a bit of All Time during the half time ... but without the marching bands ...

Zazen is just like football ... yet with the goal attained in every play, constant touchdowns as we move down the field toward to the end zone, timeless even as the clock is ticking ... both completed passes and fumbles just the whole game (but be careful and don't drop the ball!) ... all winners but never a tie ... 8)

Gassho, the Coach

Soen -- good to see you on the schedule as well. If my children ever settle down (ha ha) I may be able to sit with you in the morning.

Ron -- I was late again last night to the Hall.... made it in at 2130. ops:

Liked the gameday analogy, although I didn't know the BCS championship was last night. What is this "football", you speak of?

gassho,
    Chris

Greetings! I assure you I was awake and sitting for my scheduled time, but I realized that my roommate would be getting out of the shower and probably wouldn't appreciate the live broadcast, so! I was sitting in spirit :P

Gassho,
    Taylor

College football season is over . Good game/zazen .

Ron

Hey Peter good to see you on the zen hall schedule again!

I may be late tonight. We are having a snowstorm and I'm closing at the store so I'm not sure exactly what time I'll be able to make it home.

Shujin, as always it's a pleasure to sit with you.

Ron

I know everyone is subject to causes and conditions; exigencies, as well. Demands conflict and prefences creep in for a myriad reasons, also. So this, then, is only an observation; vast emptiness, nothing holy.
    Sometime during Ango, it occurred to me there was additional sitting which takes place at Treeleaf; a place we offer our practice to others.
    Every Saturday morning, at Treeleaf Zendo in Tsukuba, there is an opportunity to sit Zazenkai with Jundo and usually one or two others who sit with him there. Although there have been more (on occasion), there are usually around four participating on this side of the screen at the same time. It is broadcast over ustream.tv, hence the "offering our practice to others" observation.
    It is not quite the same as sitting in the Zen Hall, in one way. Ultimately, it isn't any different, either. People sit there in real or recorded time. It starts 8pm Friday night in Atlantic (DST) time. I try to get there 15-20 minutes early, because although you can't "see" everyone sitting there is a chance to say "hello" in the chat window.I am not suggesting it is any better than any other sitting going on but it is another way to get together. Neither does it mean sitting Zazenkai infers any approvals or lack of same.
    Not a bad way to show support though, if the opportunity presented itself here and there, now and then.
    If anyone needs some help figuring out how to use ustream, setting up an account, logging in, getting on the chat, there are several around here who would be happy to assist in any way possible. You could PM me.
    No webcam required. No limits on the number of participants. Everyone is welcome and appreciated. Did I mention there's always company there?
    Just a thought.
    Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)

Quote Originally Posted by Engyo
    I know everyone is subject to causes and conditions; exigencies, as well. Demands conflict and prefences creep in for a myriad reasons, also. So this, then, is only an observation; vast emptiness, nothing holy.
    Sometime during Ango, it occurred to me there was additional sitting which takes place at Treeleaf; a place we offer our practice to others.
    Every Saturday morning, at Treeleaf Zendo in Tsukuba, there is an opportunity to sit Zazenkai with Jundo and usually one or two others who sit with him there. Although there have been more (on occasion), there are usually around four participating on this side of the screen at the same time. It is broadcast over ustream.tv, hence the "offering our practice to others" observation.
    It is not quite the same as sitting in the Zen Hall, in one way. Ultimately, it isn't any different, either. People sit there in real or recorded time. It starts 8pm Friday night in Atlantic (DST) time. I try to get there 15-20 minutes early, because although you can't "see" everyone sitting there is a chance to say "hello" in the chat window.I am not suggesting it is any better than any other sitting going on but it is another way to get together. Neither does it mean sitting Zazenkai infers any approvals or lack of same.
    Not a bad way to show support though, if the opportunity presented itself here and there, now and then.
    If anyone needs some help figuring out how to use ustream, setting up an account, logging in, getting on the chat, there are several around here who would be happy to assist in any way possible. You could PM me.
    No webcam required. No limits on the number of participants. Everyone is welcome and appreciated. Did I mention there's always company there?
    Just a thought.
    Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)
    I truly would like everyone to sit with our weekly and monthly Zazenkais.

viewforum.php?f=11

If it seems strange to someone that one is sitting "over the internet" ... if it seems far away and not a place in which all are immediately present ... WHO is feeling so? WHO is not fully present?

I have even thought at times of making sitting the Zazenkai ... either the recorded-live or live-recorded sitting ... a requirement for participating in this Sangha, which, after all, is about such sitting. Shall we?

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Don, & Jundo for the posts. My zazenkai attendance since Ango has dropped to almost nothing... I did part of one at the end of December. For me it's part motivation, but mostly circumstance. I can always work on the motivation side, however.

Ron -- good to see you as well.

Peter -- glad to have you back in the Hall.

gassho,
    Shujin

Hi Don
    I know what you mean.
    I have really missed not being able (or is it willing?) to sit the live zazenkai since the time change (from 2pm to 12am!). I know that it is better for Jundo and his local members time wise, however, I wonder if it is possible to sit with the recorded zazenkai in the zendo (using split screen as in the Jukai ceremony) in local time-zone sitting groups? I know it sounds like a bit of organisation, but it may generate that sense 'unity of practice' that live sitting seems to have (to me anyway). Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel99
    Hi Don
    I know what you mean.
    I have really missed not being able (or is it willing?) to sit the live zazenkai since the time change (from 2pm to 12am!). I know that it is better for Jundo and his local members time wise, however, I wonder if it is possible to sit with the recorded zazenkai in the zendo (using split screen as in the Jukai ceremony) in local time-zone sitting groups? I know it sounds like a bit of organisation, but it may generate that sense 'unity of practice' that live sitting seems to have (to me anyway). Just a thought.

That's a very good thought, Nigel.
    Anyone interested in sitting Zazenkai in time zones?

Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel99
    Anyone interested in sitting Zazenkai in time zones?

Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)
    Actually, that's not a bad idea. I finally got my new computer and I'm thinking about trying to catch some live activities here if I can (once I learn how all that works, among all the other new-fangled things I have access to now. :roll

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I have even thought at times of making sitting the Zazenkai ... either the recorded-live or live-recorded sitting ... a requirement for participating in this Sangha, which, after all, is about such sitting. Shall we?

Gassho, Jundo
    A requirement? I dunno. I thought most of us were doing the weekly Zazenkai anyway . . . hm . . . if we aren't, why aren't we? I'm just really curious about that. Actually having to say, "This is obligatory" doesn't seem right. It shouldn't have to be said . . . right :?: This is really worth discussing though.

I must admit that my current failure to attend weekly Zazenkai is simply from not setting aside the time. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds, and just plain lazy. I do enjoy the flexibility of the recorded sessions because my days off from work vary, and I would very much like to sit for a more lengthy time then. Now, the live Zendo; should we book times in the sitting schedual? I tend to go there once I put my daughter to bed for the night (any time between 9 and 9:30pm EST), and usually only on nights when my fiance is at work, because she uses the computer for online college courses. Do you think that trying to fit the sitting around my circumstances is more of a hindrance, or should I make more of a "stand' for a schedualed daily sitting time?

Gassho friends

Jonathan

Good thoughts Don, I like that idea of your's Nige, although it would be dependant for me on findind out why I cannot get past 40mins without the vid flicking back to start line. (if you look closely at the Jukai film you can see me sitting like a lemon with my Rakusu on my head waiting for Malcolm to get Jundo re-started ops: ). All good practice and I know the form of Zazenkai well enough to finish on my own, but its not the same. Like you say Don it does make a difference to be with others, even virtually.

Gassho

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    A requirement? I dunno. I thought most of us were doing the weekly Zazenkai anyway . . . hm . . . if we aren't, why aren't we? I'm just really curious about that. Actually having to say, "This is obligatory" doesn't seem right. It shouldn't have to be said . . . right :?: This is really worth discussing though.
    "It's hard for me to carve an hour and a half out of my day to do the weekly zazenkai" was going to be my response. The truth is, with the recorded version being available, I don't know why I don't usually do the zazenkai. I have no problem sitting 5 or 6 days a week for 20 or 30 minutes so I shouldn't have any problem one of those nights adding another hour. Hmmm....(Live starts to early on Friday night. My sons are still awake and Friday is "Movie and Beer Night" ) I'm getting complacent. "I sit almost every day, I don't
    need to do the Zazenkai!" Wrong View! Thanks Jennifer

Now, the live Zendo; should we book times in the sitting schedual? I tend to go there once I put my daughter to bed for the night (any time between 9 and 9:30pm EST), and usually only on nights when my fiance is at work, because she uses the computer for online college courses. Do you think that trying to fit the sitting around my circumstances is more of a hindrance, or should I make more of a "stand' for a schedualed daily sitting time?
    I try and sit the same time everyday. If my wife needs the computer, I sit upstairs. I like to use the scheduler in case anyone is in the mood to join me and it helps prevent me from blowing off sitting. Over time, my wife has gotten used to my schedule. The trick for me (I have 5 year old and 7 year old sons) is being a little flexible. Right now, they control my time. If I can't make it, or I need to be late - so be it.

I'm going to do "last night"s" zazenkai tonight from 9pm EST til 10:30EST If anyone would like to join me.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Onshin
    Good thoughts Don, I like that idea of your's Nige, although it would be dependant for me on findind out why I cannot get past 40mins without the vid flicking back to start line. (if you look closely at the Jukai film you can see me sitting like a lemon with my Rakusu on my head waiting for Malcolm to get Jundo re-started ops: ). All good practice and I know the form of Zazenkai well enough to finish on my own, but its not the same. Like you say Don it does make a difference to be with others, even virtually.

Gassho

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    I know about the "flicking back" thing happening on koowy/mebeam. Is it happened on ustream as well?
    Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)

Hey y'all,
    I would be interested in a time zone sitting group. Maybe we could combine EST/AST/CST; that would cover a three hour spread, but would allow for more sitters. Before daylight savings kicked it, the zazenkais were at 8pm for me. This was just after my boys go down for bed. Now it falls at 7pm, which is right at bedtime.

To echo Ron's comments, I think I can find some time in my week for the zazenkai. With two kids (one & three), it doesn't really seem that way right now, but I need to look deeper into my schedule & see what I can come up with. The challenge for me is to find a time that doesn't take away from my time with them.

As far as making it manadatory... I don't really know what to think. Don & Nigel have a good idea to increase attendence; I'd like to follow that & see where it leads. Obviously this is just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.

gassho,
    Shujin

Hi all,

As one of the four regulars at the live sitting each week, I agree with Don that it is a great experience to be able to sit with Jundo on screen and the others with whom you can have a quick chat (if even just to say hello) before we begin. That said, I'd point out that Don and I have the luxury of doing so which, on my part with two young kids (5 and 18 months), is truly a luxury! I'm sure some would sit if they could and that some put it off and could make the time if they made an effort. As we recently disucssed at the tea party, there are several reasons people are here at Treeleaf and I'm sure the same is true for sitting live. So, I've always been hesitant to say that folks should be required to sit (recorded or live) each week since there are as many reasons for why folks do or do not sit as there are members!

So, as I often do I will only use myself as a an example and say that, had the weekly sitting been made a requirement, I'm not sure I would be here now. Ironically, since it was not a requirement I have made sitting live an every week event. But I'm not sure I need the typical motivation that most people do which for me is to be self motivating. I guess I would say that it should be a requirement to either sit live, sit with the recorded version, or have a serious conversation with yourself or Jundo/Taigu about why you can't commit to that. Still, I'm sure there would be at least a few who are committed to practice but just can't...for those folks, I'd really hate to see them not stick around the forum for doing their very best. But for those who just need a kick in the pants, perhaps chatting with another member about it would give them some needed perspective.

That's my $0.02.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Joe,
    I know about the "flicking back" thing happening on koowy/mebeam. Is it happened on ustream as well?
    Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)
    Engyo
    Hi Don (Engyo),
    Yes it is happening on Ustream to me every week now. I checked it out later on my main comp. and found it working to the end. I might experiment with downloaqding it first and playing my recording, but I tried that once before and just got the advert ops: . Not a lot of use. Funnily enough it seems to have got worse since our broadband was upgraded to fibre optic recently I will keep trying though.

Gassho

Joe

Hi all
    Just to confer that Ustream seems to time out for me too. The last two zazenkai's I nearly sat for an hour before checking the screen, only to find it at the start again! Anyway I usually sit zazenkai on Saturday morning (London GMT) at some time between 8.00 and 11am if that sets some kind of time frame. Maybe we could ask Fugen, Shohei and Hans to share in this?
    By the way, thank you all for your sharing and insights in this years Jukai...the whole experience has meant a lot to me and you are all part of that.
    Much metta (to quote Perry)

Gassho

Heading over to the Zen Hall now 'til half past the hour.
    Gassho,
    Engyo

PS (After the fact)
    Good to see you, Shujin and Shugen!

Good to see you as well .

Ron

Happy to sit with you again, Engyo. Also, hi Ron. :P

gassho,
    Shujin

Loving it.

Attached files

Roky would be happy!

Ron

I just want to confirm that the times for the weekly (90 minute) and monthly (4 hour) Zazenkai have NOT changed from what they have been the last many many weeks ...

(sorry, I deleted a few posts on the subject that might have been very confusing to people)

Calling All Sitters ...

We have a LIVE, WEEKLY 90 minute group sitting EACH SATURDAY (with a longer 4-hour retreat on the first Saturday of each month) ... though actually Friday night in some times zones ... led by Jundo ...

The weekly 90-minute "Live from Treeleaf" Zazenkai commences from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm, Los Angeles 4pm (Friday night), London midnight and Paris 1am (early Saturday morning)) ... and is 90 minutes long.

The monthly 4-hour ZAZENKAI is held on the first Friday Night/Saturday of the month from Saturday morning 8am Japan time (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and is 4 hours long.

You can find the comparative time in Japan for your specific location here (it is generally Saturday morning in the United States, afternoon in Europe, evening or late night in Asia) Times will vary for daylight savings and other circumstances:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzre ... 232&forma=

THE LIVE FEED WILL BE NETCAST AT THE FOLLOWING LINK AT THE ABOVE TIMES:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

However, if it is not possible for you to join 'live'
    in your location at the appointed times, FEAR NOT, as the entire sitting will be recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'ON DEMAND' at any time after that, no different from the 'live' sitting. (the links will be posted each week ... ).

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    Roky would be happy!

Ron

Where IS Roky, anyway??

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    Where IS Roky, anyway??
    I haven't heard from him in a few months. Last I heard, he was in Arizona for the winter. I think I'll drop him a line and see how he's doing.

Ron

Gassho, Jundo
    Amen brother Jundo! -- count me in

Thanks for poking me, ron, and thanks for thinking of me, kvon -- yes, the zen hall schedule is looking mighty nice, and that includes the "special" weekly sit with brother jundo -- like my daily jog, i find that making commitments to myself, or to others, is where its at -- so i will once again jump on the zen hall train -- having said that, this is the half of the year when i'm slightly technically-limited -- no wifi in my zendo/van, and living in a 24ft trailer with my wife(i'm not complaining -- my circumstances here are very close to a constant retreat in the sonoran desert) -- so i may not have a live signal, but i'll sign up in the hall, and i'll be at the zazenkai

gassho

Hello Roky,
    Good to here from you!
    I am trying sitting this Zazenkai while in Zen Hall on split screen. Just seeing how that works for sight and sound.
    Don't be a stranger.
    Gassho,
    Don (Engyo)

Quote Originally Posted by roky

Gassho, Jundo
    Amen brother Jundo! -- count me in

Thanks for poking me, ron, and thanks for thinking of me, kvon -- yes, the zen hall schedule is looking mighty nice, and that includes the "special" weekly sit with brother jundo -- like my daily jog, i find that making commitments to myself, or to others, is where its at -- so i will once again jump on the zen hall train -- having said that, this is the half of the year when i'm slightly technically-limited -- no wifi in my zendo/van, and living in a 24ft trailer with my wife(i'm not complaining -- my circumstances here are very close to a constant retreat in the sonoran desert) -- so i may not have a live signal, but i'll sign up in the hall, and i'll be at the zazenkai

gassho

I'll be sitting with the recorded version, Roky, so, we'll be sitting "together" again!

Good to sit with you again, Engyo.

Nice to see you in the hall, Roky. Your presence has been missed.

gassho,
    Shujin

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin
    Good to sit with you again, Engyo.

Nice to see you in the hall, Roky. Your presence has been missed.

gassho,
    Shujin
    We could talk, if you like; sometime in the Meeting Hall.
    I think that works pretty well, sitting Zazenkai/Zen Hall. It might be interesting to figure out how to (optimize?) the features and smooth out some bumps. If for no other reason, to add a new dimension for those sitting the recorded version and/or those who might like to participate live with others.
    I don't know for sure, but the only technical issue should be "sound". For instance, we are used to having our speakers and microphones turned off in Zen Hall when sitting. I had my mic turned on tonight but didn't hear myself through my speakers. I am wondering if there is a way to hear Jundo through ustream and each other in Zen Hall at the same time. I think there are some things we could try, at least.
    Anyone else sitting here were interested in joining the discussion?
    What do you think?
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Anyone else sitting here were interested in joining the discussion?
    What do you think?
    Gassho,
    Engyo
    I'd love to join the discussion about this and it sounds like a great idea, but my computer just can't handle running ustream and either of the Halls at the same time! I guess my participation will have to wait until I get a faster computer or I get more bandwidth.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast