Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sitting Hall

Re: The Sitting Hall

Thanks Shohei

Ron

well, seems like you definitely need 2 computers to run both ustream and mebeam live simultaneously

re: the shrinking, also try going to "view" in your browser, and "zoom +" a few times

roky

Hi,

Sat in the zen hall (mebeam) in the beginning of zazenkai, with Roky in his boat I guess , then left the room and wasn´t able to get back in later, so I used Shohei´s oovoo room which seems much more stabile, more reliable. Thanks for the Safari solution! Also mebeam seems to have a history of not really working that well, and still today not working well, so maybe we should decide to go for the oovoo room? I think we need a working zen hall if we are to use it, also the oovoo room worked simultaneously with the ustream, was able to hear the crickets and all .

Hi Roky, I joined you for a while there .

Janne

hi janne, i wasn't sure who that was -- you probably saw my post re:mebeam, cleared up soon as i got out of ustream

you're right, would be good to get this all worked out -- i'm trying oovoo out on a virtual winxp machine in linux, see how it goes

roky

i think oovoo will work virtually in linux, though with just an icon for me that says "roky", which is no big deal, as it won't capture my webcam -- but what i'm more concerned about is that it appears that after the 30-day trial, this is a $240/yr fee for each room, no? -- though, if the interest is there, we could pass the hat, using paypal

when going over the mebeam forum/blog, i noticed that there was an upgrade reducing it to 6 maximum in any room, due to bandwidth problems they were having, so oovoo is the same in that respect

but i'd have to say again, except when i tried using it together with ustream, mebeam has worked fine

roky

I would be willing to contribute for an ooVoo room; I suppose it's a question of getting a group on board for the idea. Like Janne, I think it's important to have a reliable sitting space.

I was able to run the zazenkai recording and MeBeam simultaneously tonight, but I'm fairly certain my computer couldn't handle both live.

For now, I'm in some kind of netherworld between the two. I'll probably sit with Don in the am on ooVoo and stay on MeBeam for evening sittings.

-Chris

problem is, for the last two years the zen hall has been mostly empty -- i should know, cause i've tried to get folks to sit in it, unsuccessfully, throughout that time -- its just not a high priority at treeleaf -- and if you can't fill the hall for free, how you gonna fill it when you're charging(take my word for it, its not the technical glitches that kept the hall empty)

for that matter, viewing zazenkai saturday on ustream, the most # of viewers was 10 -- woo hoo!! -- out of how many "members" of treeleaf? -- compare that to how many posts each day -- and this has also always been the case whenever i've sat the saturday live sits

ok, some of the folks are going to view the recorded version later -- but 10 live, sometimes i've seen it be 2, 3?

problem is, with the small amount of enthusiasm for sitting online, i again suggest that if we go with oovoo, 30 days from now we won't have the $240, oovoo will expire, and we'll again have an empty zen hall -- whereas now, mebeam is working better than ever,even if you have to "zoom" sometimes, and we have more folks in there than ever(for any noobs, yes, this is probably a new record)

its already getting a little confusing -- if i want to sit with someone on the schedule, are they in mebeam or oovoo? -- so to clear that up re;roky, i'm in mebeam, just was, it's working fine, just can't, on my netbook, work together with ustream

gassho, roky

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    ... problem is, with the small amount of enthusiasm for sitting online, i again suggest that if we go with oovoo, 30 days from now we won't have the $240, oovoo will expire, and we'll again have an empty zen hall
    Hi roky
    I already pay for the oovoo subscription. I have been for a couple months and will continue to do so with no expectations of people ponying up for it - so no worries there.

Gassho
    Shohei

Roky,
    thanks for your perspective. I'm new to Treeleaf, and by extension the Sitting Hall, so I didn't know what the core issue is regarding a lack of attendance. Whatever the eventual outcome of the case of MeBeam v ooVoo, if I'm on the Sitting Schedule, it'll be for MeBeam.

I just finished sitting there, and tried putting in a custom time on the schedule (1440-1515). The Schedule took that input, but then posted it without my screen name. MeBeam was working intermittently while I sat, but was in its "Kind of Blue" period. The normal blackness was replaced by a navy backdrop. Not a problem, just odd.

gassho,
    Chris

thanks, shohei, that is generous -- at the very least, oovoo will be a valuable alternative -- i'm assuming thats the 1 room/6 persons subscription? -- and if we wind up using it on a regular basis, i will be making a contribution(even if you don't want it)

chris, thanks for sitting in the hall, any hall -- sorry you had some difficulty, it worked fine for me today -- but if mebeam is going to be unstable, oovoo is the obvious choice -- lets see what happens -- i'm willing to sit in either one, just would like it if it was one or the other, not both, so that i know where someone is when they're on the scheduler -- in my afternoon sit today, i sat with janne and don in oovoo, and alone on mebeam -- because i'm on linux, i have to use a virtual machine for oovoo, and it only shows me as an icon, but it does identify me by name, and thats all thats needed -- at least thats what i see on my computer, i haven't heard from janne or don whether they could see my icon

i look forward(but not too forward) to when we've decided this, before the new enthusiasm is lost

gassho, roky

Hiya Thanks Roky
    I agree about getting things settled. For the time being I have made a link at the top and bottom of the main hall saying Backup system basically. This points to a secondary page i made that embeds the oovoo version directly like mebeam. Take a look its not the best solution but its there for now until folks decide. I can pretty easily do the same for the meeting hall if need be. Lets decide which way to roll before weeks end, lets say?
    Either Mebeam as the back up or Oovoo as the back up?

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi, Roky, we could see your icon, just between our feeds, so that´s working. Do you have any sound capabilities at all? And if we are going with oovoo, it would be nice to also be able to see you sitting, so maybe we can together find a solution to your linux system, have you tried everything?

Gassho / Janne

janne, thanks for the feedback, its what i expected, and i'm just fine with that -- what i do like about oovoo, is that it has our names on each one, so the video isn't needed -- obviously, it would be needed for conversing, but i have skype for that(which does work in linux) -- and oovoo is supposedly developing a linux app, or some linux geek will come up with one, particularly since i'm using "mint', a variation of ubuntu -- for now, i much prefer sitting with everyone to talking or posting, so its no loss for me

so don't bother about my linux -- i am dual-booted with windows, so if i really want to be seen, i can go out of linux into windows -- i just prefer to stay in linux, even with the icon

shohei has a great idea that we get this settled by end of week -- i agree -- saturday i sat in mebeam, yesterday oovoo, and today with nadia, i think, in mebeam -- will be good to decide on a channel

gassho, roky

I'll cast my vote for ooVoo.

Janne, was that you sitting with Don this morning? The only good thing about practicing at 0500 is that my eyes are already half closed....

gassho,
    Chris

Wasn´t me though.

i'm not sure if everyone who uses the hall has seen our posts re: choosing one or the other, so i took the liberty of starting a separate topic "Cast your vote here for a sitting hall(mebeam or oovoo) " -- this way, that topic will only contain the actual "votes" of all who are sitting

roky

Edited: This should have gone to the "Vote" thread... Sorry!

Tried accessing both zen hall and meeting hall and was unable to in Google Chrome. says I was using Safari 64 bit in snow leopard and to use a workaround that I was unable to use as I was not in Safari. Firefox refused to load either hall.

I then pulled up the plain old mebeam.com link and it no longer showed a camera image. I sat alone.. with no cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinko
    Tried accessing both zen hall and meeting hall and was unable to in Google Chrome. says I was using Safari 64 bit in snow leopard and to use a workaround that I was unable to use as I was not in Safari. Firefox refused to load either hall.

I then pulled up the plain old mebeam.com link and it no longer showed a camera image. I sat alone.. with no cam.
    Sorry to hear that Shinko,

*Edit had a big write up of what we could explore but here is the support page on the oovoo site:

The Web video calls and chat rooms are supported on Mac using the following browsers only:

* Safari
    * Firefox - version 3.5 and higher.
    Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei

*Edit had a big write up of what we could explore but here is the support page on the oovoo site:

The Web video calls and chat rooms are supported on Mac using the following browsers only:

* Safari
    * Firefox - version 3.5 and higher.
    Gassho
    Shohei
    With an "get info " adaptation you can run your Safari in 32 bit mode. That means every website runs in it. I did find it funny that the application interface thinks I am running Safari when I'm in Chrome.
    I do not see a place in FireFox to make any changes at all. I played with it a bit last night and finally got the "camera screen" to load but no image at all. (even when I remembered to take the lens cap off my cam)

I'll play more after work today.

ok, much better tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinko
    ok, much better tonight...

Y'all probably realized this before I did, but with ooVoo the sound isn't automatically switched off in the Sitting Hall. You have to click the 'microphone' and 'speaker' icons to turn off sent/received audio when you log into the Hall. Janne was probably treated to a brief conversation between me & the wife earlier this afternoon; sorry, brother.

gassho,
    Chris

It´s all good practice :wink:

gassho

Sven, Peter Lin, Chris:
    Good to see you this morning.
    Gassho,
    Don

Don, Great to see you, Peter and Chris as well.

Four folks in the Zendo; a first for me!
    And I almost talked myself into sleeping in.

Gassho, Sven

Good to sit with you guys as well -- glad I got out of bed.

gassho,
    Chris

Yep, good to see you all :-)
    _()_
    Peter

My wife's mom died Sunday so I'll be out of the zen-hall away from the forum for a while. It's great to see the hall getting so much use!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    My wife's mom died Sunday so I'll be out of the zen-hall away from the forum for a while. It's great to see the hall getting so much use!

Ron
    Our thoughts are with your wife and your family, Ron.

Very sad news, Deepest sympathy to your wife, your self and family.
    My thoughts are with you.

Gassho
    Shohei

Heartfelt condolences to you, your wife and your family.
    Gassho,
    Don

Sorry about your sad news Ron, hope you are all bearing up well.

Gasho and metta

Joe

Take care...many deep bows...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Ron

ron -- as always, best wishes to you and your family

roky

hope folks find my lack of video in the oovoo hall no problem -- as related before, this is a linux/oovoo incompatibility -- i was doing some extended practice yesterday, due to the heavy rain here, and absence of wife, so decided to go into the other part of my hard drive to use windows -- unfortunately, although it delivered a high quality video of my beautiful self, it kept disconnecting -- i've found this on each occassion that i've tried oovoo in windows, and suspect it is my "roadrunner lite" connection -- and since i'd rather just stay in linux, i'm giving up -- though i'll still be in the oovoo, but without video

gassho, roky

Hi Shohei,
    I have not really been following the thread on sitting as I didn't have the tech. However I now do and have since tried the Treeleaf sitting room, I got a lovely picture of me with a light blue rectangle underneath and a silence button to click. Does this mean I did it wrong or just that I was alone(being in British temporal zone). Also I have old lap top to use (borrowed) so I am not sure if it can handle being in room at same time as zazenkai live. Please help ops: :?

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    ...although it delivered a high quality video of my beautiful self, it kept disconnecting -- i've found this on each occassion that i've tried oovoo in windows...
    I saw this happen the other day when I was sitting with Don - you popped on for a couple of seconds, then disconnected. At the time, I figured it might just be your avatar astral projecting... All kidding aside, I'm glad to see your name on the schedule. Our sitting times never sync, but with everyone falling off the list lately I'll take what encouragement I can get.

I'll continue sitting in the Hall, barring some type of natural disaster. If bodhidharma could stare at a wall for nine years, I figure I can stare at an empty Sitting Hall. How's that for some zen drama? :shock:

With apologies if anyone's offended -- I'm feeling a little punchy tonight.

gassho,
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    I sent you a PM, but decided to post this in case others are experiencing problems.
    I saw your picture and mine. After 10:30pm I was in and out of the room, but I sat a briefly with each of Perry, Peter and Shinko later. I could see all their pictures (except Shinko's was very dark). Don't know if they saw mine. Perhaps they will respond here.
    Yes, it appears my sittings have been dropped from the schedule, as well. I didn't request this. Is this happening to anyone else?
    I made 4 weeks worth of sittings for 6am, 12noon, and 10pm (my TZ). They all registered. I checked them several days in a row to be sure. Then stopped checking. I wouldn't have realized they were gone if you hadn't alerted me to the fact. Funny thing is, my dates are still listed in the Sitters List.
    Once a booking is made, and the booking appears on the schedule, it is not supposed to be possible for it to "disappear". I am told an Admin level access is required to do this.
    Gassho,
    Don

Don,
    I sent you a PM about ooVoo last week, but it never went through because I don't know what I'm doing. heh. ooVoo was giving me fits last night. I was disconnected from the room a few times, to the point that I just unplugged my camera. That helped for awhile, and then I was kicked out again. I could see your video for a few minutes, then just an icon. I blame last night's problems mostly on my DSL connection, although some part of it may have been ooVoo.
    This morning I went to load Firefox for the Hall and Windows gave me the Blue Screen of Death. I just threw my hands up and turned it off. :evil:

gassho,
    Chris

Every once in a while I need to recall:
    "Drop the myriad thoughts. Pick-up the practice."

Perhaps just another thought.
    Gassho.

Hello friends,

My computer suffered a sudden case of impermanence a while back, so I've been using my wife's Macbook when she'll let me. Safari gives me all kinds of fits in the sitting hall, and firefox only works when I talk nicely to it beforehand.

I've all but given up being able to see any others, but I'm glad that I can provide some silent company to others.

Metta,

Perry

Does anyone sit in the early morning? I generally start and end the day on the Zafu... usually around 7 or 7:30 am (Eastern Standard.) Anyone around then?

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    Does anyone sit in the early morning? I generally start and end the day on the Zafu... usually around 7 or 7:30 am (Eastern Standard.) Anyone around then?

Good morning KvonNJ,

I'm an hour to the left of you, and sit earlier to boot! On the weekends, I'll usually "sleep in" to 5.30CST. Perhaps I'll have a second cup of coffee before sitting; that would put both of us at 7am your time, at least on the weekend.

Let me know what you think.

Much metta,

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTurner
    Hi Shohei,
    I have not really been following the thread on sitting as I didn't have the tech. However I now do and have since tried the Treeleaf sitting room, I got a lovely picture of me with a light blue rectangle underneath and a silence button to click. Does this mean I did it wrong or just that I was alone(being in British temporal zone). Also I have old lap top to use (borrowed) so I am not sure if it can handle being in room at same time as zazenkai live. Please help ops: :?
    Hmm I think this means you were in the Mebeam hall (not the main hall any more). If its blue there... you must Right click with your mouse or Ctrl click if its a single button mouse, the blue rectangle, and click settings. Up comes a box with little tabs one of them shows a camera icon, click there and select your camera, if you do not see a name of a camera your using select USB Class device. Also be sure that in that same box you have allow access clicked for your camera. Bit different for the main zen hall (aka oovoo).

Scheduler thing I have no understanding of. My boss took a look at the code (As hes into that stuff) and understood it but said it would require time to work with but he could not see any reason for dropped sittings. I do not have access to make any changes in there to folks schedules and only 2 folks currently can. So Barring some one logging in and deleting things (which makes no sense!) I have not a clue (welcome to my world ). No solutions but ill ask around. Now If folks want to help by all means. Say so. this "free" by virtue of Jundo and others efforts so if you use it, like and want it to continue improving (as the technology improves etc) then jump on in and say so If your not so technically inclined. Showing up, helping folks with what has worked for you in the past or just posting like these saying whats up are very helpful! Thanks for your practice, your efforts and all that you do!

Gassho
    Shohei

Don - mu.

Perry - Hoped to sit with you this morning, then my computer went down. I was there... in the metaphysical sense.

Shohei - thanks for all your help & support for the Zen Hall. I'm grateful for your positive influence.

Back to work. It's Gameday! Gameday in America! :roll:

gassho,
    Chris

Hiya Shohei,
    Much gratitude for your help on sitting hall, I will try again, if that fails what happens with this oovoo thing, is there a link?, is it full already or is it taking over from sitting hall? Sorry to sound so out of the loop, but I have managed to avoid this sort of tech up till now ops:

Gassho

Joe

joe -- here's the link for oovoo: http://videocallroom.oovoo.com/oovoomel ... oom=1&rt=1

welcome back, kvon -- i'm usually in the oovoo hall around 7 am, but i tend to not sign up in advance -- i get up, i sit -- hope to see you in there

when oovoo becomes unstable, giving me a message that i've been "disconnected", i find it helps to turn off/disconnect my webcam -- oovoo will still connect, but just produces an icon with your name, for others to see -- i know, no one can see your pretty face, but they know its you, and that you're sitting in the hall, so it still works for "sitting together"

gassho, roky

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSpud
    Hello friends,

My computer suffered a sudden case of impermanence a while back, so I've been using my wife's Macbook when she'll let me. Safari gives me all kinds of fits in the sitting hall, and firefox only works when I talk nicely to it beforehand.
    Hi Perry,

In the Applications folder on the Macbook, find the icon for safari and right click on it (or control click of your mouse is a one-button). select Get Info from the menu that appears. this opens the information screen for Safari. If you check the box marked "Run in 32 bit mode" and save the changes your browser will work with ooVoo.

tonight I am apparently "sitting" at work. No one has called in 3 hours.. its good practice!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast