Thread: ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: PLAN YOUR SITTING SCHEDULE!

ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: PLAN YOUR SITTING SCHEDULE!

NOTE TO EVERYONE SITTING THE RETREAT: Please look at the sitting time schedule (to be the same as last year HERE)

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/2 ... day-j.html

...and plan out which recorded periods you will sit, and which live versions you will be able to sit and when in your time Zone. Not so complex to figure out once you look at the schedule.

I hope that many folks will elect to sit "real time" with Taigu and me. If sitting "real time", the retreat should encompass most all of your Saturday and Sunday (starting 6am, although you may join us a bit on your Friday night too if you wish ... ) in most of Europe and North America, until late in the evening. The way to accomplish that is for everyone to sit a combination of "live" and "recorded" segments over the weekend. In other words, some activities you can join live and other activities (because they happened in the middle of the night where you are, during your sleep time) you can do with the recording (while it is the middle of the night in Japan and Taigu and I are sleeping!)

See how that works! 8)

Re: ALL RETREAT PARTICIPANTS: PLAN YOUR SITTING SCHEDULE!

For your convenience, here is the schedule from last year (I do not anticipate any change this year)

Note that times in NY and London are marked at the top of each unit ... you will need to figure out your own time Zone from there ...

DAY 1 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = FRIDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = FRIDAY NY 6:55pm, London 11:55pm)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

DAY 1
    06:00-06:50 AM Entrance by Officiant (Jundo) & Zazen
    06:50-07:00 Kinhin* (All Kinhin times can be bathroom break)
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin
    07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse
    08:25-08:55 “Long” Service
    08:55-09:20 REST PERIOD

DAY 1 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 7:20pm London SATURDAY 12:20am /End=FRIDAY NY 7:50pm, SATURDAY London 12:50am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 1 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 8:30pm London SATURDAY 1:30am /End=FRIDAY NY 10:45pm, SATURDAY London 3:45am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

DAY 1 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 11:10pm London SATURDAY 4:10am /End=FRIDAY NY 11:40pm, SATURDAY London 4:40am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 1 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SATURDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

14:30-15:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:30-16:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 1 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 4:25am, London 9:25am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    17:40-17:50 Kinhin
    17:50-18:25 Zazen
    18:25-19:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 1 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 5:30am, London 10:30am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

19:00-19:30 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    19:30-20:10 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 1 UNIT 8
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 6:10am London 11:10am /End=SATURDAY NY 6:40am, London 11:40am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

20:10-20:40 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    20:40-21:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 1 UNIT 9
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 7:00am London Noon /End=SATURDAY NY 9:30am, London 2:30pm)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

21:00-21:50 “Short” Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    21:50-22:00 Kinhin
    22:00-22:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    22:40-22:50 Kinhin
    22:50-23:30 Fukanzazengi & Zazen Close with Verse of Atonement & Four Vows

DAY 1 UNIT 10
    ( No Live Netcast from SATURDAY NY 9:30am London 2:30pm to NY 4:00pm, London 9:00pm)
    PLEASE CATCH UP WITH MISSED OVERNIGHT UNITS!

(Optional: Waza = Tradition of ‘All Night Zazen’)

WATCH RECORDING HERE (information on 'Waza')

23:30 PM-
    (Day 2)
    05:30 AM
    BATH & SLEEP

DAY 2 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = SATURDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = SATURDAY NY 6:55pm, London 11:55pm)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

06:00-06:40 AM Zazen Begin sitting without instruction. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:40-07:00 Long (20 minute) Kinhin*
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin
    07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse When instructed, place on Kesa and recite Kesa Verse. All others, hands in Gassho.
    08:25-08:55 “Long” Service Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    08:55-09:20 REST PERIOD

DAY 2 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 7:20pm London SUNDAY 12:20am/End=SATURDAY NY 7:50pm, SUNDAY London 12:50am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 2 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 8:30pm London SUNDAY 1:30am/End=SATURDAY NY 10:45pm, SUNDAY London 3:45am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

DAY 2 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 11:10pm London SUNDAY 4:10am/End=SATURDAY NY 11:40pm, SUNDAY London 4:40am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 2 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SUNDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE
    SOUND VOLUME JUMPS UP AT START ... INCREASE VOLUME WITH CAUTION!

14:30-15:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:30-16:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 2 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 4:25am, London 9:25am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE
    16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    17:40-17:50 Kinhin
    17:50-18:25 Zazen
    18:25-19:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 2 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 5:30am, London 10:30am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

19:00-19:30 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    19:30-20:10 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

DAY 2 UNIT 8
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 6:10am London 11:10am /End=SUNDAY NY 6:40am, London 11:40am)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

20:10-20:40 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    20:40-21:00 REST PERIOD

DAY 2 UNIT 9
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 7:00am London Noon /End=SUNDAY NY 9:30am, London 2:30pm)

WATCH RECORDING HERE

21:00-21:50 “Short” Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    21:50-22:00 Kinhin
    22:00-22:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    22:40-22:50 Kinhin
    22:50-23:30 Metta Chant & Zazen
    & CLOSING WORDS Close with Verse of Atonement & Four Vows

Nine Bows to All Who Sat This Retreat Together ...

Thanks, Jundo.

I will have to do a New Year's version of the retreat . . . semester demands and all that. I plan on doing the retreat around Dec. 27th this year. So I'll be thinking of you all this weekend.

Peace and gassho,
    Eika

Quote Originally Posted by Eika
    Thanks, Jundo.

I will have to do a New Year's version of the retreat . . . semester demands and all that. I plan on doing the retreat around Dec. 27th this year. So I'll be thinking of you all this weekend.

Peace and gassho,
    Eika
    You will still be sitting with us Bill. See you there. Gassho, J

Hi Jundo and all,

I won't be sitting live with you due to some scheduling issues, but will sit the retreat Dec. 25 and 26. Thankful for the "no separation in space and time" thing. See you there.

Gassho, Jean

Holy shit, I'm such an american. I wasn't expecting the retreat to start tommorrow at 3pm (friday for me). Will go to bed here shortly. Will try my best to be sitting live.
    I have the day off, but was looking to review the info one more time and have the day to get everything set and sit Sat and Sun my time. Oh well. That's life. *shrug* Noone beat me with sticks if my movements and gathas are off. : )

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDave
    Holy shit, I'm such an american. I wasn't expecting the retreat to start tommorrow at 3pm (friday for me). Will go to bed here shortly. Will try my best to be sitting live.
    I have the day off, but was looking to review the info one more time and have the day to get everything set and sit Sat and Sun my time. Oh well. That's life. *shrug* Noone beat me with sticks if my movements and gathas are off. : )
    No no no ... no need to meditate in the middle of the night or the like ... If you read the instructions, it is meant to be done partly in recorded, partly live ... but straight through if possible. You do not need to meditate in the middle of the night. Give it a try! You can do some on Friday-Saturday-Sunday or all on Saturday-Sunday (but in any case, it has to be a mix of live and recordings ... cause day in Japan is night in much of the world! :shock: )

Well I'm gonna try to sit as you and Taigu sit. We'll see how it goes. Was my plan from the get go, so figure why not give it a shot. Actually I often sleep better during the day and am more active at night as is. We'll see how it works out in reality and I'll tweak it if I need to. But thanks for the info. Does set the mind at ease.

_/_

Hey Dave,

If it makes you feel any better I am sitting live as is Shohei I believe, so there is a North American contingent sleeping through the day and sitting through the night.

Truth be told, I think we're all just night owls anyway.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hey Dave,

Are you in Texas or N.C.? If the latter, I believe it starts at 4pm EST. Can't remember off the top of my head which time zone Texas is in, but I'm assuming CST, which would be 3pm. I think...I hate math!

Gassho,
    Dosho

I thought I had this figured out, but now I'm not so sure.

If I try to go along with the "live" netcast, I should be starting the retreat at 3:00 PM CST. But if I do that I can continue live probably up to the end of Dai 1, Unit 3, since that would be about 10:00PM. I wouldn't want to be eating that late so Oryoki at that time would be out for me and I most probably would be taking these olf bones to bed....BUT THEN when I rise the next morning (Saturday) the "live" broadcast will be at Day i, Unit 8 and just about at the close of Day 1. I suppose I could go back and repeat on "video" the ground I covered live, but I think I 'll get too confused.

Rather than all that I think I will opt to start fresh on Saturday morning with the recordings and follow the time=table as it is laid out; after-all there is no time/space/distance, and if I stumble across a "live" broadcast while doing this, so much the better.

Gassho,

Denis

Dosho, i'm still in TX for another week and a half or so. So 3pm with Kyrillos. The hours will be funky. Am still goin through the vids again. Long morn. :? Am gonna sneak a nap in before the live retreat to get some extra rest...and my "tea cup" may contain energy drink. LOL

_/_

Hello all,

I won't be able to sit this weekend due to some unforseen events. However, I will be sitting the recorded version on Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 7 and 8. I'll be sitting while not sitting with you all.

Happy retreat everyone!

Gassho,
    Kelly (Jinmei)

At the moment I plan on sitting with the "live" schedule 12/24-25, since I'm not doing anything for christmas anyway it seemed a nice way to spend that time.

Hi folks

Best laid plans and all that - i was planning and was sitting live and was ...then the connection went batty so i closed off some stuff but to no avail i was getting 1 sec. of live feed per minute or so... my isp has an unfair "Fair access / usage" policy that states that any more than 400mb in a 24/hr period is abuse of service and that my once exceeded the bandwidth would be throttled, more like strangled down to about 10 kb/s, for 24 hours starting the moment i cross that threshold. not enough to sustain the live net cast let alone the other funky stuff i was doing. A VERY frustrating clause in the agreement and its the only highspeed isp and service available So it appears i will be sitting this later...and i cannot say ... ill let you all know when i sit it. Even this wonderful online sangha is beyond my reach here in the sticks where i live :/

As it is i used my last 2 vacation days Today off so i could prep and Monday off so i could clean up and return equipment/help my wife with the kids since she is now a couple of hundred km away with them at her parents. I cannot sit this at work as i drug all everything here, didn't clear it with security and pet considerations. etc.

To say I'm disappointed would be a understatement, however this is the way things go. For the rest of the weekend since i have time it will be sewing and sitting. on the up side i have alot of food read to eat.

9 bows to all currently sitting, and going to sit.

Gassho
    Shohei

S'all good ,Dirk. _/_

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    To say I'm disappointed would be a understatement, however this is the way things go. For the rest of the weekend since i have time it will be sewing and sitting. on the up side i have alot of food read to eat.

9 bows to all currently sitting, and going to sit.

Gassho
    Shohei
    You are still sitting with us, Shohei ... and that disappointment is the point.

Gassho, J

Dirk, sorry Jundo called us to zazen while i was typing. That succkkksss. That bandwidth clamp is bs, bro. And I know you were all excited about it today too.

Shame really.Wish me luck on pullin the all nighter.

_/_

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDave
    .Wish me luck on pullin the all nighter.

_/_
    You are not in school studying for your final! :?

Thanks to Jundo, Taigu and all of you folks for this first, very tiring but wonderfull, day of retreat! :wink:

Gassho,

Luis

Hey Shohei,

I'm sure that was beyond disheartening at that moment, but I could have sworn you were there the whole time...since you were.

When you do get a chance to watch the netcast let me know and I'll sit some of it with you.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Luis
    Thanks to Jundo, Taigu and all of you folks for this first, very tiring but wonderfull, day of retreat! :wink:

Gassho,

Luis
    I'll second that! And rest that voice Jundo!

Been doing the recorded retreat since 6:00AM this morning CST. Iwith ya all in both body and spirit.

Gassho,

Denis

Denis, come join us in the zen hall. No cam needed. Most of us are just boxes now anyways. But you'll have some company

_/_ Dave

Waow! It was great to sit live with all of you!
    Thanks to everyone! :roll:

Hope folks who are still sitting with the recorded version, like Denis, are having a good time!

Gassho,

Luis

ps: Jundo, Taigu take care! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Undo
    maybe you could post when you sit in the Zendo time table or on here
    It's an excellent idea!!

Sory I missed most of the retreat though sickness. Had a really bad time the previous weekend and thought it was all over but pains returned on Saturday. Look forward to recordings in a couple of days.
    Hope Jundo & Taigu are OK.

Daiku

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP
    Sory I missed most of the retreat though sickness. Had a really bad time the previous weekend and thought it was all over but pains returned on Saturday. Look forward to recordings in a couple of days.
    Hope Jundo & Taigu are OK.

Daiku
    Hi Brian,

I hope you feel better, but if you are not well, take the retreat in small doses, spread out, shorter sittings, lost of sleep, lots of Kinhin (even during sitting times) ...

... be moderate and gentle with your body. It is not a race. Gassho, Jundo