Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zen Sports: Cricket

Zen Sports: Cricket

just wanted to know if there are any other cricket fans here? i see there are a few posters from austrailia and englsnd, so i was just curious..
    gassho
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-12-2023 at 08:30 AM.

Re: cricket fans?

... Love the animal... but don't know about the sport...

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by bayamo
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    I am...

Love them.

gassho

taigu
    i meant the sport.. (nothing against the insect though)
    but you knew that right?
    gassho..
    I watch week-long test matches with the sound off ... combined with not knowing any of the rules or players or score ... very 'Zen'

Bring me into a very deep place. 8)

indeed...

Taigu

who after all prefers Sumo to everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by bayamo
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    I am...

Love them.

gassho

taigu
    i meant the sport.. (nothing against the insect though)
    but you knew that right?
    gassho..
    I watch week-long test matches with the sound off ... combined with not knowing any of the rules or players or score ... very 'Zen'

Bring me into a very deep place. 8)
    i once watched the undubbed version of iron chef, after a while i tuned out the audio, and i followed cooking process much more "step by step", which i thought was cool..
    gassho

Quote Originally Posted by bayamo View Post
    just wanted to know if there are any other cricket fans here? i see there are a few posters from austrailia and englsnd, so i was just curious..
    gassho
    Yep, I'm a cricket fan. As Kokuu mentioned we regularly discuss English cricket and the ups and downs of Essex and Kent at the county level. The first test of a three match series between England and New Zealand starts this Thursday which should be interesting.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Like actual cricket ... this thread took 13 years (!!) to make some headway ... (most recent post until today: November, 2009)

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

County I'm a Notts fan... on the international level I really have no rooting interest although it's fun to watch India lose (sorry, not sorry) just to watch all the reactions, excuses, finger pointing..
    #sattoday

Sent from my SM-A325M using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bayamo; 05-30-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

My son is currently doing work experience at Kent County Cricket during the T20 matches. Kent are not having a good season, though.

Watching England recently has not been entirely pleasurable either!

Like actual cricket ... this thread took 13 years (!!) to make some headway ...
    It is a game that takes time to mature!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

Watching England recently has not been entirely pleasurable either
    -sattoday-
    Cricket is never watched for pleasure, Sir. It's life itself, between the wickets, with slips and bouncers, and googlies and last-minute sixers turning everything around.
    Cricket is watched for tea.

Gassho.

Sat.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

Cricket is never watched for pleasure, Sir. It's life itself, between the wickets, with slips and bouncers, and googlies and last-minute sixers turning everything around.
    Cricket is watched for tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Like actual cricket ... this thread took 13 years (!!) to make some headway ... (most recent post until today: November, 2009)

Gassho, J

STLah
    Well not entirely surprising for a game that can last 5 days, stops several times for tea, and can still be rained off or end in a draw!

I'm quite fond of Indian cricket and Tendulkar was one of my favourite players. The politics though, is worthy of a soap opera.

If anyone is interested, I recently listened to an excellent podcast on the history of the game which discusses, amongst other things, the class division between batters and bowlers, which is something I'd never really considered before but makes sense - https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/t...cket-140173163

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Apologies for running long, but better to overrun than overthrow.

I lost my taste for Indian Cricket ever since its "corporatisation" and mass media celebrity penchant in India. They appear from morning to midnight in every place, except playing the game on the field. A famous cartoon from late R.K. Laxman summarized it well.

Gassho.
    Sat.

7/3, 7 overs... not a good start for the Kiwis
    #sattoday

Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

Turned my attention to Brazil x S Korea (4-1 right now) and man, NZ not doing well this opening session
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

7/3, 7 overs
    Is this some Koan?

haha...
    the right Koan could be: "What's between the wickets? The batsman or the ball?"

Gassho.
    sat.

Sent from my GS190 using Tapatalk

Wow. Just beyond words. 116/7 for England, just wasting an amazing performance by the bowlers.
    (I did sit, just forgot to include in my original post)
    Carl Carlson

Is this some Koan?
    So, first number is runs, second is outs, and overs is like an inning...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

England's batting has been weak for quite some time, although I did not foresee a collapse of that magnitude after such a good bowling performance.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Jundo, re scores, I forgot to mention that Australia and New Zealand do this backwards, wickets first (the outs), then runs... just saying...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

England's batting has been weak for quite some time, although I did not foresee a collapse of that magnitude after such a good bowling performance.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Well, yah I thought we'd see better today, but it's more of the batting we saw in the Ashes
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Can't get access to live Cricket from Germany. Any online legal sources (even paid) that you may know?

Gassho.

Can't get access to live Cricket from Germany. Any online legal sources (even paid) that you may know?
    I think that Sky is probably the only place to get images, although there may be other ways.

If you enjoy radio content, Test Match Special should be free to access: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fr0n5
    Coverage will begin at 11.15 German time, including highlights from today's play, with play beginning at midday.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Prashanth View Post
    Google said that yupp-tv, an Indian tv streaming service has bought international Cricket rights and offers a IPL 2022 Package for 14.99 EUR
    https://www.yupptv.com/cricketpackages
    I don't know anything about that company, about Cricket or what exactly is in this package.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Google said that yupp-tv, an Indian tv streaming service has bought international Cricket rights and offers a IPL 2022 Package for 14.99 EUR
    https://www.yupptv.com/cricketpackages
    I don't know anything about that company, about Cricket or what exactly is in this package.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Thanks, Kotei. Yes, YuppTV is well-known, but I am looking for non-IPL type, regular, Cricket content. IPL is a bit too corporate and hyped-up for me. Sorry, old school Cricket fan here . (But perhaps I should work on being neutral on corporate/non-corporate thing as part of my practice).

Thanks also to Kokuu for the radio idea. Most BBC Tv content is blocked in Germany, but radio is still accessible (at least some channels). Let me try that option.

Gassho.

Sat.

Gassho.

I follow online on a YouTube channel called Guerilla Cricket, audio only but very funny

That said, this may be one of the shortest Tests ever.
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

I listened to 5 minutes of Guerilla Cricket, no idea what they are saying. "3 Declared, bought off with 58, defending the test pattern for a century?"

Is it English?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Stumps, Kiwis 263/4 second innings, ahead by 227 runs ... they certainly improved today...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

I listened to 5 minutes of Guerilla Cricket, no idea what they are saying. "3 Declared, bought off with 58, defending the test pattern for a century?"

Is it English?
    I imagine that experience would be like me hearing commentary on the superbowl...

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thanks, Kotei. Yes, YuppTV is well-known, but I am looking for non-IPL type, regular, Cricket content. IPL is a bit too corporate and hyped-up for me. Sorry, old school Cricket fan here . (But perhaps I should work on being neutral on corporate/non-corporate thing as part of my practice).

Thanks also to Kokuu for the radio idea. Most BBC Tv content is blocked in Germany, but radio is still accessible (at least some channels). Let me try that option.

Gassho.

Sat.

Test Match Special on BBC radio is the best. Lots of people watch the tv with the sound off and listen to TMS instead. Lots of talk about cakes and passing busses.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Is it English?

Gassho, J

STLah
    I have the same reaction whenever I hear people talking about baseball. I recognise most of the words but not the order they are spoken in.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Oz x Sri Lanka ODI about to get underway...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

My bad, it's a T20...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Aussies take it with 10 wickets (and 36 balls remaining)
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

South Africa beat India, 7 wickets and 5 balls remaining...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Well, that was a bit of a test match at Trent Bridge, culminating nicely in a fifth day win for England!

I missed the denouement as I was leading the Ryaku Fusatsu ceremony but I had faith that Johnny Bairstow would keep the runs flowing!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Well, that was a bit of a test match at Trent Bridge, culminating nicely in a fifth day win for England!

I missed the denouement as I was leading the Ryaku Fusatsu ceremony but I had faith that Johnny Bairstow would keep the runs flowing!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Yah, nice win there. I thought it would be a draw. T20 now...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Pathetic performance by Proteas today
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Stumps, India 338/7 v England...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Since it looks like this thread will never end and goes on and on (like an actual cricket match ... ) I am going to take the liberty of migrating it to our "Zen Arts and Sports" section so that it is easier to find (much easier than it is to understand the rules of cricket! ) ...

Now, the sports in our "Zen Arts and Sports" section are supposed to have some Zen connection and attitude involved ... such as martial arts, or goalless running and such. So, please try to find that in every match or ball or strike or century (or whatever it is.) For cricket, I think this will be easy, for it seems rather mysterious and impossible to fathom, with strange language, like a Koan. People run around but back and forth with lots of stillness in between, and I cannot find the goal (or home base or whatever). It goes on for long age, for many Kalpa (though purported to be neither eternal nor meaningless), with a bunch of guys in strange clothing moving back and forth in small spaces, like a Zen chanting ceremony. Mostly, others just sit and stare. There are two teams of individual players but one field (a lesson in non-dualism), and some bowling pins set up like an Altar. Once it is "over" it starts again, etc. The scors at the previous "over" is Karma which is a kind of score that can be amended by the next "over," a lifetime later.

Something like that (frankly, I have no idea).

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-01-2022 at 09:51 PM.

I guess there is always this book! https://www.sportspages.com/media/img_591da58407aa3.jpg

Incidentally, England are playing the Buddha's home country today, India. India stand on 416 for their first innings. James Anderson claimed a five-fer for the 23nd time in his career.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 07-02-2022 at 10:34 AM.

Since it looks like this thread will never end and goes on and on (like an actual cricket match ... ) I am going to take the liberty of migrating it to our "Zen Arts and Sports" section so that it is easier to find (much easier than it is to understand the rules of cricket! ) ...

Now, the sports in our "Zen Arts and Sports" section are supposed to have some Zen connection and attitude involved ... such as martial arts, or goalless running and such. So, please try to find that in every match or ball or strike or century (or whatever it is.) ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Doesn't everything have a "zen connection", in a manner of speaking... it is what it is...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

Doesn't everything have a "zen connection", in a manner of speaking... it is what it is...
    #sattoday
    Zen is everything, but not everything is Zen. (A Koan)

Cricket is everything, but not everything is cricket?

Gassho, J

STLah

There's more to life than just "zen". Sometimes it's fun to just watch a cricket match or a hockey game or an F1 race or a chess match and not worry about "oh noes, am I being zen right now?!"..

Carl Carlson

There's more to life than just "zen". Sometimes it's fun to just watch a cricket match or a hockey game or an F1 race or a chess match and not worry about "oh noes, am I being zen right now?!"..

How I see it: Zen is a way of life, not something to be worried about. It is part of our marrow, not something we do occasionally. Zen is sports also.

Zen is life -- and this is a Soto Zen sangha and forum.

Gassho2 stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Yes, but ...

While everything is life and Zen, our Sangha is basically a practice Dojo where we focus on Zen Practice (although it is fine to socialize and talk about other things.) In life, we may have many other hobbies and interests, from stamp collecting to fishing to cricket to cake baking ... but we usually don't focus on them here in our Forum unless connected to Zen Practice (all can be, by the way). It is the same reason that we don't hold cooking classes in a Karate Dojo, or fish on the cricket field during a match. On the other hand, it is also fine for folks to socialize, so a cooking class once in awhile in the Karate Dojo (or discussing the Tenzo Kyokun around here), or exchanging recipes in the locker room, or cricket fans going fishing together on weekends is fine.

But generally, we focus on sports and arts around here for what they have to say, express or add to Zen Practice.

Gassho, J

STLah

Zazen is good for nothing, but sitting in front of a freshly painted wall is good practice for watching cricket matches

Gassho,
    Gareth
    Sat today, Lah

When it's time to stare at the wall, I stare at the wall. When it's time to follow cricket, I follow cricket. Nice job by England this last test, FWIW...
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

It was a pretty impressive result, and even more so that I actually believed they could do it from the outset. Stokes and McCullum have introduced a big change of mindset in a short period of time. We will see what happens when they have to take that overseas...

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast