Thread: The new Zendo

The new Zendo

Hi Jundo,

regarding the new Zendo under construction...

You mentioned that the new Zendo can seat many people. Just wondering what long-term plans you have for Treeleaf and the building. Is it possible that, one day, Sangha members can visit - perhaps staying in local hotels and attending the Zendo?

gassho,

JohnH

Re: The new Zendo

Quote Originally Posted by jrh001
    Hi Jundo,

regarding the new Zendo under construction...

You mentioned that the new Zendo can seat many people. Just wondering what long-term plans you have for Treeleaf and the building. Is it possible that, one day, Sangha members can visit - perhaps staying in local hotels and attending the Zendo?

gassho,

JohnH
    Hi John,

Over the next year or two, I would like to make a small "Western Style" Zen Center here in Tsukuba (about 45 minutes from Tokyo) ... I think that it will be the first in Japan (in that it is a small facility focused on Zazen practice for lay folks, not a temple focused on funerals primarily. Nishijima Roshi had a similar facility for many years for Westerners, although he had people living there). It is just a small place, like many a little Zen Center you have probably visited in a typical American, European or Australian town ... just a house where people gather to practice some Zazen. Don't expect much if you come to visit (it is just a converted farm).

I have been so busy on Treeleaf, that I have not put much effort into the local sitting group. I will focus on that now a little more.

Sure, I hope folks visit. Some like Will and Hans already have. We may have a place for people to sleep over for a few days, although I do not think that it will be a residential facility.

Gassho, J

I would not be shocked if Jen and I take up that offer within the next few years And likewise anybody here passing through Spokane is more than welcomed to swing by and have a seat at Floating Leaf Zendo, I'll even put on the tea pot and open the doors any time of day

Imsu

I may very well stop in. It leads me to think maybe we ought to have a list of people who are willing to host sittings at their houses for the travelers among us. Certainly if anyone is coming through Cairo they are welcome to come by for a sit.
    imsu