Thread: Monday talks: Ten Oxherding Pictures

Monday talks: Ten Oxherding Pictures

Hi everybody!

Ax from next Monday, I made the decision to comment on the the Ten Oxherding Pictures. Not an easy task and by far, and a very limited attempt. Anyway, for those interested in doing some homework (I know you are busy... but that should not take long, just a few minutes reading and a bit of reflecting), they may check this version transcribed by Paul Reps and Nyogen Senzaki (you will find the original in print in Zen Flesh, Zen Bones)

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/ox.html

You may also have a look at this version on the website of an authentic Zen monk, Gabor Terebess trained in Japan with the verses composed of kakuan Zenji and a great teisho by KUBOTA Ji'un.

http://www.terebess.hu/english/oxherding.html

or the other version by Shubun,

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mzb/oxherd.htm

If you could at least read the verses and look at the pictures, it would be helpful to understand what I am going to try to convey. It will be my take, not a traditional one, and It might irritate a few scholars if they bump into my ramblings and mumblings...

Love to all

gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Kyonin; 11-16-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Fixed links to external sites. Text was left untouched.

Re: Monday talks: Ten Oxherding Pictures

Thank you Taigu, for taking the time to do so.
    I will gladly take a look at what you have posted. I have seen the pictures posted and i think ive read a few bits of the descriptions with them. In posting here on treeleaf i have seen them used as a reply or what not and i did not fully understand their significance. perhaps i will now. perhaps not (heh i am a bit thick by times) Thank you for your efforts!!

Gassho
    Shohei

As always, will be looking forward to Monday and will be prepared . Gassho Kent

Hi Taigu...

Ten oxherd is really interesting.
    I have read about this oxherd before, and it will be interesting too to hear your interpretation about it.

Gassho, Mujo

I've seen the ox herding pictures around over the years but never looked closely.
    I'm returning now each day to look and listen on the links you gave ....most revealing and simply lovely.
    Thank you for bringing this up Taigu, looking forward to your talk Monday.

Gassho
    Nadi

I love the way you poke, Taigu, so please poke at this as you poke us.

Hi Taigu,

I love your "ramblings and mumblings," and am looking forward to hearing your oxherding talks. Thank you for offering this to us!

Gassho, Jean

Taigu

Looking forward to see and hear your talks about these oxherding pictures,
    8)
    Joris

Quote Originally Posted by Govert
    Looking forward to see and hear your talks about these oxherding pictures
    One more Day to wait :twisted:

Got the stable swept out, new fodder laid and the the barn door open waiting for this!!!!!

gassho,

Denis

Finding time lately is difficult, but I am really looking forward to this! Thank you Taigu.

Sorry AlanLa, I did not remember the poking thing was yours...

gassho

Taigu

Enjoyed your first talk - thanks Taigu. I can see the way my mind is always looking for answers - 'what does it mean?' - 'which of these stages am I at?' But how to let go of that.....

Gassho,
    John

Thank you very much Taigu for this "slap in the face" talk!

gassho to every sentient being,

Luis

disastermouse

Thank you, Taigu!

*gassho*

Chet

Thank you Luis and Chet, although I did not want to slap anybody in the face... :?

Johhn, you are already doing it when you sit, begging nothing, happy with just what is, at ease with everything. How? Trust practice and time, it does work and things fall off. Our practice is about loosing not getting. Loosing misconceptions and delusions or better' being reminded how deluded we are. As long as one is aware of this grasping, one should not not mind. Take questions with you, take these verses and pictures with you, breathe them in and out and allow your life to display the blossoms.

gassho

Taigu

thanks Taigu, nice talks.

I'll enjoy your talks.

Gassho, mujo

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Johhn, you are already doing it when you sit, begging nothing, happy with just what is, at ease with everything. How? Trust practice and time, it does work and things fall off.
    Thanks for that, Taigu. Like Seung Sahn says, I need to stop this always checking myself and just try, try, try....

Gassho,
    John

Thanks John, gassho to the great Seung Sahn but trying is exactly the opposite of spontaneous free practice, in trying there is the idea you are going to check that what you figured out is right, in trying we are competing with the shadow of our dream, in trying we are putting too much effort for it comes from the achiever not the one that releases, allows and let the clouds play free in the boundless sky...Practice, practice, practice is very likely what he meant. Wasn't he?

gassho

Taigu

Thank you Taigu for the beginning of these observations. As I listened to your class yesterday I was put in mind of something I experienced many years ago. Growing up in Chicago afforded me the opportunity to go to the Art Institute quite often as a youth. One of my favorite places was a large hall , and sitting on a bench in front of Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon...." painting. It is huge. The closer one gets to it the more "out of focus" it is, in it's pointalism. The further point one observes it from the clearer the figures become. I learned many "life-lessons" sitting on that bench in the Art Institute enjoying that painting, up close and far away. I sort of felt the same things as I looked over the Ten Oxherding Picteurs last week in preparation for your lessons. I am really looking forward to these classes in the cloming weeks.

Gassho,

Denis

disastermouse

Thanks John, gassho to the great Seung Sahn but trying is exactly the opposite of spontaneous free practice, in trying there is the idea you are going to check that what you figured out is right, in trying we are competing with the shadow of our dream, in trying we are putting too much effort for it comes from the achiever not the one that releases, allows and let the clouds play free in the boundless sky...Practice, practice, practice is very likely what he meant. Wasn't it?

gassho

Taigu
    Glad to have you here, Taigu! I'm looking forward to more talks...

Chet

. . . trying is exactly the opposite of spontaneous free practice, in trying there is the idea you are going to check that what you figured out is right, in trying we are competing with the shadow of our dream, in trying we are putting too much effort for it comes from the achiever not the one that releases, allows and let the clouds play free in the boundless sky...
    MANY thanks for this . . . wonderfully said!

I can use this with my music students, too. I often have discussions with them about how trying gets in the way of making music well, but having new ways to say it to them will help.

Gassho,
    Eika

Taigu, I enjoyed your online talk. Especially the comment about always fishing for answers.
    /Rich

Thanks John, gassho to the great Seung Sahn but trying is exactly the opposite of spontaneous free practice, in trying there is the idea you are going to check that what you figured out is right, in trying we are competing with the shadow of our dream, in trying we are putting too much effort for it comes from the achiever not the one that releases, allows and let the clouds play free in the boundless sky...Practice, practice, practice is very likely what he meant. Wasn't he?
    Thanks Taigu. I have to get out of my own way and let things just unfold - like a cow peacefully chewing its cud. But cows get slaughtered

Gassho,
    John

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Thanks Taigu. I have to get out of my own way and let things just unfold - like a cow peacefully chewing its cud. But cows get slaughtered

Gassho,
    John
    That's because cows rarely think.

The point is not to never think. You might as well tell the sun to stop shining.

Chet

HelloTaigu
    Your decision to comment on the Ten Ox Hearding pictures, while in your words being difficult, is indeed an excellent one. Thank you for your efforts.
    Gassho Zak

"Wednesday with Taigu" on picture #1 was wonderful. Thank you very very much.

Scott

Hello Taigu
    In your Wednesday with Taigu talk you said," We are like a big fish swimming in the sea searching for the sea." This made me realize that when we drop the delusion of what we are seeking, here and now is just "It."
    gassho Bill

thanks taigu, enjoyed your talk,