Thread: A survey...

A survey...

Hi.

Got this in a questionare...

Dear organizations associated with Buddhism,

My name is Stefan Lindh and I carry out a research study in the context of my theological thesis for a bachelor degree at the University of Gothenburg. In my study I have chosen to investigate the concept of Engaged Buddhism, which is a socio-political form of Buddhism. It is in my interest to get an insight into the Swedish organizations involved in Buddhist activities.
    My ambition is that this study will provide a good picture of how the Buddhist organization activity looks like in Sweden and which approach these organizations take towards the concept of Engaged Buddhism.

If you do not want you to use the attached questionnaire, feel free to write down your answers on a blank paper.

Your participation is, of course, completely voluntary and you are entitled to answer the questionnaire anonymously. All who participate in the study will receive a copy of my essay.

Survey of Buddhist activities in Sweden

Organization/ Association:
    Number of members women/men:
    Online webpage:
    Ref. person:Ref. person tel.:Ref. person e-mail:
    Date:
    Tick this box if you wish anonymity
    Please answer each of the following questions, thanks. Note that it is desirable that you respond as thoroughly as possible and do not limit yourself to only answer in the following response fields.

1. Describe your organization’s main Buddhist activities.

2. From which Buddhist basis have your organization’s activities evolved. E.g. Theravada, Mahayana, or Tantrism?

3. Are there any particular Buddhist texts that your organization frequently use or refer to?

4. Does your organization emphasize any particular moral and/or ethical
    guidelines within Buddhism?

5. Is your organization involved in any social activities? E.g. collecting money for the poor. If not, please explain why not.

6. Does your organization follow any political agenda? If not, please explain why not.

7. Would your organization, for example, be able to actively participate in an anti-war movement? If yes, to what extent would your organization allow political active members in this area? For example, the Vietnamese monk Thich Quang Duc burned as himself to death in protest against the Vietnam War.

8. What is the opinion of your organization on the following quote by James E. Deitrick, University of Southern California, "Buddhist suffering is personal, not social."

9. Does your organization support members that practice socially engaged Buddhism? Why?

10. Was the concept of "Engaged Buddhism" familiar to your organization before you received this letter and in that case, to which extent has the concept been used in your organization?
    Thoughts?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

disastermouse

Re: A survey...

I need to visit Sweden someday. Maybe even look up my family. Do you know any Sandbergs?

Oh, you mean topical thoughts? No...not yet.

Chet

Re: A survey...

Quote Originally Posted by Survey

1. Describe your organization’s main Buddhist activities.
    sitting inactive

2. From which Buddhist basis have your organization’s activities evolved. E.g. Theravada, Mahayana, or Tantrism?
    All of the above

3. Are there any particular Buddhist texts that your organization frequently use or refer to?
    All of them

4. Does your organization emphasize any particular moral and/or ethical
    guidelines within Buddhism?
    SIXTEEN GREAT BODHISATTVA PRECEPTS

5. Is your organization involved in any social activities? E.g. collecting money for the poor. If not, please explain why not.
    Yes, just sitting is the greatest social "activity," because when we do so, we are attempting to cease kicking the wheel of samsara.

6. Does your organization follow any political agenda? If not, please explain why not.
    Yes. By the very nature of inter-being, any non-political agenda is interwoven with political agendas. Not one, not two.

7. Would your organization, for example, be able to actively participate in an anti-war movement? If yes, to what extent would your organization allow political active members in this area? For example, the Vietnamese monk Thich Quang Duc burned as himself to death in protest against the Vietnam War.
    Yes, please see answer to #5

8. What is the opinion of your organization on the following quote by James E. Deitrick, University of Southern California, "Buddhist suffering is personal, not social."
    "if you say so, it must be true."

9. Does your organization support members that practice socially engaged Buddhism? Why?
    We support the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. Beyond that... there is no thing beyond that.

10. Was the concept of "Engaged Buddhism" familiar to your organization before you received this letter and in that case, to which extent has the concept been used in your organization?
    I know what I mean by "Engaged Buddhism," what do you mean by "Engaged Buddhism?"