Thread: Zazen

Zazen

Hello All,

I have a question about my video zazen practice. I have an iMac with a built-in webcam, so I don't think the webcam can be adjusted to be as low as I would be on the cushion, on the floor. I will play around with it a little later today, but I want to make sure that if, for some reason, I am unable to focus the camera on my sitting, that this is "acceptable." I'm really new to all of this, so I'm just trying to relax my nerves...

Thanks,

Adam

disastermouse

Re: Zazen

I'm in the same boat, but then, I've never sat in the virtual Zendo.

Chet

I have an Imac also. I just tilt the screen/camera down as low as it will go and position it close to the edge of my desk - no problem. I sit in the virtual Zendo all the time. If you can't get it to show your image, that is fine, point it at whatever.

Ron

This is simply the best named thread EVER!

I just want to make clear that some folks in this Sangha sit in the "see each other sitting, 'Always Open'" (sometimes not cooperative) video Zen Hall ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/zen-hall.php

... and some only join Taigu and me for the video talks and 'sit-a-long; on the netcast ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/zen-hall.php

... and some sit both ...

... and some sit at home, just their self sitting with their self and no-self too ... listening to talks, joining in this Forum ...

(... everyone benefits from joining in the forum ... supporting and sharing and teaching each other ... )

There are many ways to sit with this Sangha. The key, however, is that when we drop from mind all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' we are always all sitting all together, intimately, instantly.

That is why calling this thread simply "ZAZEN" is simply the best name ever.

Gassho, J

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm really green at this, so I'm really glad that I have all of your support as I try to find my way. I do have another question though. In Zazen, do we keep our eyes (slightly) open, or close them altogether? I've read different ideas on the subject. I'm sure this is covered in the videos for newbies, but I wanted to get the question out there.

Thanks again,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm really green at this, so I'm really glad that I have all of your support as I try to find my way. I do have another question though. In Zazen, do we keep our eyes (slightly) open, or close them altogether? I've read different ideas on the subject. I'm sure this is covered in the videos for newbies, but I wanted to get the question out there.

Thanks again,

Adam
    We keep our eyes open, usually 1/3 or half or 2/3. We are not closing to the world, but opening to the world (not apart from you or you from that, by the way).

It also prevents sleeping and wandering into unusual states.

This is all discussed in the video series for beginners (we are all beginners).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=447

Please look through those, and also through some other discussions we have had on the Forum.

viewtopic.php?p=19579#p19579

Gassho, Jundo