Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Experiencing Ango - PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANGO EXPERIENCES HERE

Re: Experiencing Ango - PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANGO EXPERIENCES HERE

Hi yas
    Im taking a fresh approach to my Ango commitment with slightly modified approach

1) Meal chant (I WILL DO THIS!!)
    2)sitting 2x daily 1/2hr minimum
    3)catching every sitalong except for the weekly zazenkai
    4) catching the monthly zazenkai
    5) picking up the sewing practice again (fixing my kesa and setting out on a rakusu for warm up to another kesa)
    6) reading 1hour daily (shobogenzo/shobogenzo Zuimonki)
    7) eating healthier diet and in moderate proportions - fast food is out
    8) exercising for min 1 hour daily
    9) printing this list and posting in direct line of sight :P

And ill see how this goes.

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    9) printing this list and posting in direct line of sight :P
    That's actually a really good idea...I think I'll find my original list and do that. Thanks!

Hello all,

I haven't posted for a while, but I haven't given up my Ango committment. This is just an update.

Dave - I hope the dust has started to settle a bit for you. You will be in my Metta.

- I have done well with saying the meal gatha - my family has now incorporated it into our daily meal routines. My boys really like it and they always make sure their father bows after saying it. :wink:
    - I have slacked a little on sitting, I miss a couple days a week - but I try to make up for it while doing daily samu.
    - I have increased my volunteer hours. I tutor for Literacy Volunteers weekly, I will be a 'reader' (I simply read stories to children) at the Elementary school, I work the school book fair twice a school year, and have decided to donate (monthly) to our local food bank.
    - I still - much to my family's amazement - have not eaten peanut butter. Also, I'm really trying to stop eating so many sweets.
    - I watch and sit with the daily sit-a-longs and hope to start participating in the weekend zazenkai's once soccer season is done.
    - I am following the discussion on the precepts and Jukai - but I haven't posted there
    - I'm doing well with limiting my computer time...unfortunately, my time here is shortened...but I'm with you all daily...I carry you all with me.

Now, off to sit...in the words of Where the Wild Things Are - "Let the wild rumpus begin!"

take care
    Kelly (Jinmei)

Hi everyone!

Just a few words to say these last two days have been a total mess!
    My best friend fall down a 3.5m wall during the biggest belgian student party...
    since there my mind is totally focused on this, I can't see anything else.
    We still don't know if he'll walk again, and radios and tv's don't stop talking about it...
    I feel lots of anger against the autorities, because every year they put more and more cops on streets,
    but we ask for years for more security and they do nothing!

The only "stable" thing in this life seem to be the "unstabe" practice of zazen...
    Thanks to you guys, Thanks to our sangha, thanks to jundo and Taigu...

Gassho to every sentient being,

Luis

The sitting part seems to be the only thing I'm not struggling with. Everything else is kind of hit and miss. I've just about given up on the meal chant. Metta practice is occasional. I just really seem to want to sit everyday. The 1 beer a week thing is going fine. I manage to eat veg. at least once a week. I've noticed that my time screwing around on the internet is increasing, so I'll have to watch that. Haven't managed to incorporate a morning sit routine. When I used to get up early and sit with Roky, I noticed it was more "difficult" than my evening sit - my mind seems to be a lot more active when I first wake up. I think maybe I'm basically lazy . I'm keeping up with the sit alongs and have really been enjoying them lately.

Ron

All good wishes to Dave and Luis' friend during these testing times.
    As for myself, my low-level ango is still going OK - I'm very impressed with you guys who have lists of intentions, especially ones involving exercise; I missed one sitting last week as I was out to dinner and though I don't drink much (or maybe because I don't drink much), I didn't feel right about sitting later when I wouldn't have been allowed to drive. I know we may be expected to sit with what is but... I dunno.

Anyway, last week was very busy as the two people I work with were off on holiday so I was holding the fort, but the fort is still standing and I'm off on my holidays now. So I'll be a week without them interwebs (yay!) but will be sitting at the seaside in France and hopefully enjoying a quiet time there.

gassho
    Michael

Hi all,

Best wishes to Dave and Luis' friend on their current struggles. And happy holiday in France to Michael.

Ango is still going along fine for me. Keeping my commitments is okay except for posting on Treeleaf's forum and I've spaced on my monthly Skype meeting. Will make a Skype appointment with Jundo this week. My biggest hiccup was due to my brother coming from out of town to visit for 5 days. The guest room is also the zazen room, so zafus were moved to our bedroom, where there isn't enough space, and were crammed right next to the dresser, were tripping hazards, etc. Except for one day, sat my morning sit each day, but I got completely off track and did not sit my evening sit the whole time he was here. Chose to stay up too late talking and crawled into bed afterwards rather than onto my cushion. Was interesting to see how easily off course I got by just the one, albeit biggish, change. Reminded me how fortunate I am to lead the very simple life I do - or am I? :wink:

Gassho, Jean

Hi everyone!

Just a few words to say it is a bit easier for me to practice these two last days. My friend is still at the hospital for a "while" :? But now he is able to move his two legs a bit and at least one of his arms. We hope to see him soon in a "wheelchair"! At least in one of these he would be to able move a bit...
    It's "funny" how the way we look to life change so often in life... I feel a bit like a tree leaf fallen into the see... just going with the waves ... Glad to have the opportunity to receive a lesson of impermanence, like a slap in the face...

Luis

Thank you, Luis.

I do not have your friend's permission to do so, and thus hesitate to include him specifically by name, but will dedicate our Saturday Zazen to all people facing such changes in life now in body and health, or who are in hospital.

Each week we chant in our dedication (or "Transfer of Merit" if you will) ...

We especially seek tranquility & well being for all creatures now suffering or ill in health. May they be serene through all their ills. May their lives be at peace and Wisdom pervade the darkness of ignorance ...

Gassho, Jundo

Luis, take care, and compassionate mind is just what it is, sometimes a bundle of knots in the tommy, sometimes tears and fears running down and draining everything away. The best way to help what is beyond what I can comprehend and grasp is to sit, simply sit. You may take his hand and say something or nothing. Whatever. The way the Boddhistava works is much beyond his own understanding.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    will dedicate our Saturday Zazen to all people facing such changes in life now in body and health, or who are in hospital.
    Thank you Jundo, I'm sure he will be very touched that you thought about it! And I'm also sure there is a lot of us who feels concern by people suffering in hospitals (an outside :wink: )! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    The best way to help what is beyond what I can comprehend and grasp is to sit, simply sit. You may take his hand and say something or nothing.
    Thank you Taigu! And be sure I will! :wink:

Luis

Hi everyone,
    I just take a minute before zazenkai to say I won't be sitting with you guys on ustream,
    but sitting in live from my friend's room at the hospital ( ... well I'm at the Hospital coffee shop now, but I'll go in his room in a minute!.

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Luis
    Hi everyone,
    I just take a minute before zazenkai to say I won't be sitting with you guys on ustream,
    but sitting in live from my friend's room at the hospital ( ... well I'm at the Hospital coffee shop now, but I'll go in his room in a minute!.

Luis
    And gassho to you and your friend who I hope feels better!

This has been a long time coming, sorry I haven't done this sooner. Here is how I am doing in my Ango commitments.

Eating mindfully, Was doing great, fell off, getting back on track.
    Daily Metta Verse, I started off forgetting it, now it is apart of me on a daily basis.
    Meal Chant, I still forget that at times. Still working on that one.
    Sitting 20 min. daily, started off well, fell off, back on track.
    Raising my voice, I have done quite well up until here lately. Working on that again.
    Stop cussing, I have done surprisingly well this whole time.
    Reducing my PC time has been easy
    Pointless Amazon purchases was a challenge at first but I have overcome that.

This is how I have been doing.

Gassho,
    Paula

Bumpy week for me;

Went to a Halloween party, drank more than a couple - didn't sit that night.

Didn't sit the next night either. (It's probably the first time I didn't sit for two consecutive days in the last nine months)

Started drinking coffee again as well.

Felt cranky and mean all week, so the metta practice went out the window.

Back to zero.

Ron

Hi all,

I hope all is well with you and your ango. I'm back from my hols now - it was interesting to see how how even pleasant changes in the day to day routine can have a big impact on my practice (i.e. its tendency to totally go out the window without me noticing). It made me wonder how 'mindful' my mindfulness is, when it apparently relies on a routine so much. If I was wandering monk finding myself in a different place, seeing different things everyday, I think my practice would have to become more spontaneous, it would be something that I would carry around within myself to a greater extent than I do now. At home there are all the various props, supports and reminders which now seem to be both helps and hindrances.

I also did a lot of walking and sat outside along the way for the first time. It was quite difficult to 'drop all thoughts of this and that' when - as I usually do when I'm out walking - I get my Dad's voice in my head identifying and discussing all the different strands of bird song that were going on around me. And sitting in the middle of a French marsh there are a lot of bird songs to listen to.

Over dinner one day I ended up explaining that I was 'sort of' taking part in an ango to my partner and several times after that he reminded me to say the meal chant before eating (when I was about to forget), and would also say, "aren't you going to do your 'thing'?" if it looked like I was going to end the day without sitting.

gassho,
    Michael

Hi everyone,

Ango is still going well for me. I am pleased that the two daily sits seem to have become a habit now, as well as the metta practice and meal chant. I think I am very lucky to be doing this with my husband - we definitely support one another in our practice, and now encourage each other to keep our Ango commitments. If one of us starts to eat without doing the meal chant, chances are the other catches it! If one of us is tired and wants to skip the evening sit, the other heads for the cushion creating just enough peer pressure to do the trick. :roll: I'm afraid the rakusu sewing at times has been a competitive sport, at least for me. ops:

Gassho to all, Jean

Hi everyone,

Luis
    Hello Luis,
    I was about to ask how your friend was after his accident some time ago (must be a couple of weeks now) when my computer crashed. It has been a long time sorting things out. I do hope your friend is recovering.

With metta,

Daiku.

Back to sitting everyday.

Metta practice still only occasional, but I don't feel so goofy when I do actually do it.

Can't seem to get all the way through the meal chant but I have been trying to at least take a moment to think about what it is that I am eating and to be thankful about it.

I still use my seiza bench most of the time, but have been sitting in a half lotus every once in awhile when my legs are cooperating.

I've been keeping up with the sit-alongs. (zazenkais not so much)

I'm going to try sitting without relying on the zenhall so much as a motivator. I'll still do the 2 hour sits in there, but not for my daily sits as much. I think it's good for me to "mix it up" a little bit.

Ron

Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile and have been struggling to keep up with the forum and my Ango commitments. And to be completely honest, my sitting lately has been almost nonexistant. Some of that was due to back pain from working on the lawn and getting everything done before the snow comes. But a lot of it was finding the daily commitments to be a chore rather than something I really wanted to do. I fell right into the trap I have told others to avoid which is basically if I feel that the zazen is "helping" me in some way, instead of just sitting and letting that thought go, I cling to it and try to analyze what it means. What came up was actually important "getting to the core" stuff, but it wasn't shikantaza.

So, perhaps in the spirit of zazen, I let these thoughts play out inside my brain and just hung on for the ride for awhile. I didn't resist the thoughts or try to make them go away, but let them percolate for a time and saw where they led. It took awhile but it fizzled on its own and all of a sudden over the weekend I wanted to sit again. I have done so a couple times now and despite some continued back pain I have stuck with it (if you can call doing something 2 or 3 days in a row sticking to it). I have worked through messages on the forum, started catching up with sit a longs, and even got our the meal verse to try again! I started doing metta again and I'm not thinking much about where this is going.

So, we'll see. It's definitely a change for me as I would have previously forced myself to the cushion and given myself a hard time for not having stuck to my commitments. Finding the time to sit is now my greatest challenge.

Gassho,
    Dosho

P.S. My kesa is coming along. It's slow, but it's taking shape.

Sometimes there seems to be so much to do that it is overwhelming. Recently I've experienced some minor injuries and the cold/flu. Fortunately, this has not impacted my morning and evening sitting. The next 30 days I'm going to do daily physical training to rebuild my strength and stamina and add some sitting periods. The precepts study has been very interesting.
    /Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    And to be completely honest, my sitting lately has been almost nonexistant. Some of that was due to back pain from working on the lawn and getting everything done before the snow comes. But a lot of it was finding the daily commitments to be a chore rather than something I really wanted to do.
    Hi Dosho,

This is very important. So much of this practice is learning to be with situations "I" finds unpleasant, learning to do things that "I" resists to do.

I wrote the following to a couple of folks this week who are sick and stuck in bed ...

Being sick is no fun. It interferes with all our plans and dreams, keep you from our doing what wyou want to do. It hurts, and it is scary. Shakyamuni Buddha first set out on his quest because he saw people getting old and sick and (eventually we all do) dying.

Our practice in Shikanataza is to sit with "what is" ... which sometimes includes lots of being in bed moaning. I did a couple of talks on that when I was sick (not as long as you, just a week or so).

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/2 ... ckbed.html

and

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/2 ... uddha.html

In Buddhist terms, wishing life to be X when life is Y is Dukkha, "suffering" (the pain of illness is not "Buddhist suffering" ... Instead, "suffering" is wishing to be healthy when you are sick, desiring to have no pain when you have pain. ) Our practice is partly about "being at one with X when life is X, allowing Y when life is Y". Dropping resisting, accepting, allowing.

That does not mean, by the way, that being sick may not still be scary and unpleasant ... but at the same time, there is attained a peace, even joy, with the scariness and unpleasantness. Something like that.

This week, I spoke of my friend who became friends with his cancer, and at peace with the condition ... even as he was its enemy and sometimes afraid. Both at once. He accepted the condition, allowed the condition ... yet took his chemotherapy. I spoke of people who even could find peace and hope as prisoners in German camps.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/treeleafzen/2 ... isons.html

Oh ... and before I forget ... we also taste a view by which we "Forget 'I'", and there is ultimately no "I" to be sick! 8)

But, just trust me on that right now, and anyway, it is connected to everything else mentioned above.

I hope you get well soon.
    Anyway, the above applies both to hard illness and a little backache, cancer or a cold.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Sometimes there seems to be so much to do that it is overwhelming.
    /Rich
    It's like being in a hurricane of your own making. But even a hurricane has a calm quiet eye that you can rest in but you have to keep moving with it. Now I'm commenting on my comments. Hope that's not too weird.

Hi all,

Just logging in to say I'm still sitting, chanting, metta-ing, reading your posts and keeping those that are going through difficult times in my thoughts.
    This week I received my first zafu and zabuton - seeing as I'm doing this everyday now I thought I'd better make some investment in the right kit, and the mixture of phone directories and duvet covers that I've been sitting on up to now was getting to be (literally) a pain in the butt. Also I needed to phone a plumber this week and it took me an hour to realize that I'd been sitting on the Golden Pages every day for the last few months.

So the new combination has been out for 3 test drives so far and all seems well. I am at one with the fact that I am never going to sit in any form of lotus unless it is a low-slung sporty looking car (arthritic hips and knees don't need much encouragement to flare up these days), but I feel quite secure in my Burmese position.

I'm still slightly in awe of the metta practice because it still feels like a radical thing to do every time I do it.

I came across an encouraging passage in the Shobogenzo this week (I'm probably not supposed to quote this out of context but if you want the full passage it's in 'On "Respectful Bowing Will Secure the Very Marrow of the Way"':
    You should do your training and practice, even though you may still be attached to discriminatory thinking; you should do your training and practice, even if you have gone beyond discriminatory thinking; you should do your training and practice, even though you may be half hearted in the attempt.
    Gassho to all,
    Michael

Thank you for the Shobogenzo quote Michael.

Ron

Hi everyone!

These times have been quite difficult, I've been working a lot, and this last weeks I have been sick (and still am).
    My injured friend needed a lot of time, but now is REALLY better.
    He can move and even walk :P . But he still can't move one of his arms. We hope he'll be better in a few month!
    For these reasons, I haven't been regular with my zazen and metta practice for the last two weeks. I think I'll add two more weeks to the ango because of that. I'll try to begin the coming week with a better mind...

I would like to thank you guys for your practice, thank you Jundo and Taigu for this wonderfull place we can call our sangha! :wink:

Gassho to all of you,

Luis

Hi everyone!

These times have been quite difficult, I've been working a lot, and this last weeks I have been sick (and still am).
    My injured friend needed a lot of time, but now is REALLY better.
    He can move and even walk :P . But he still can't move one of his arms. We hope he'll be better in a few month!
    For these reasons, I haven't been regular with my zazen and metta practice for the last two weeks. I think I'll add two more weeks to the ango because of that. I'll try to begin the coming week with a better mind...

I would like to thank you guys for your practice, thank you Jundo and Taigu for this wonderfull place we can call our sangha! :wink:

Gassho to all of you,

Luis
    Hi Luis,

It sounds like you are having a profound Ango ... even though you might not think of all of it as the Ango.

I am so glad your friend is learning to walk again, and may he come to appreciate each step more. Maybe loss of an arm will even leave him stronger, if there is wisdom in seeing that.

But please do get back to sitting. ALL of it is sitting, but only sitting is sitting.

Gassho, J

Hi all,

great to be back and to hear some good news about Luis' friend; I hope Chugai is getting over the flu well by now too...
    Sitting took a bit of a knock last week for the first time as my partner went into a meltdown for several reasons, not all of which I fully understand, but from my point of view I had to stay very close for a while and didn't get a lot of sleep. Everything seems much better now.
    Writing this, I was trying to work out if I could say that the practice helped in anyway. During the lulls I was certainly conscious of things that I've heard Jundo or Taigu say or have read in everyones postings here, but did anything actually help? Not in a way that I would be aware of, but I don't think this is all about ka-ching! instant tranquility and salving of bruised minds. Maybe, when 'normality' returned it was easier to recognize, and maybe it was easier to accept the abnormal as normal while it was all going on. That's probably as far as I can go. Anyway, I'm still really tired but I'm off to sit now.

gassho,
    Michael

Hello all,

It sound like we've all had some struggles in the last couple weeks. I've been absent for a little while. Both my kids and my husband have been sick with sinus, ear, and respiratory infections...and now I have all of the above. Go figure! :roll:

I'm doing well with the meal chant, and still haven't had any peanut butter. Sitting has been difficult for me too these past 2-3 weeks. I've averaged only 2 or 3 sittings a week. I'm hoping to get back to it today. I have been doing plenty of samu and continue to volunteer, but sitting has been my biggest struggle too Dosho. I will do better the rest of this week and get back on my schedule hopefully. Breathing is a difficulty, but I will manage. :wink:

Gassho to all,
    Kelly (Jinmei)

well i have missed sitting a few times i think i missed 3 days and 2 times i was too tired to sit so i gave up in the middle of the sitting because i was falling asleep during the sit and had to wake up very early in the morning (5:30am) and it was already very late ( early 2am ). so i just got up from the zafu and went to sleep.

and smoked a few times mostly a cigarette here and there with friends ( mostly when i was at a party ).

anyway i am kinda glad slipped a few times. it made me realize that its ok but it is important to go on and get up and continue.
    it is going perfectly imperfect...

Gassho, Dojin.

I'm still sitting just about every day. Life is getting very hectic because of the holidays. I am going out of town and am going to be in close quarters so I don't know how much sitting I will be doing over the next few days.

Ron

well missed another day of sitting and now only get to sit 5-6 minutes since the house is a mess after having replaced the entire plumbing. well it is all turned over no place to sit all dirty and needs cleaning. on the other hand i can definetly say i have replaced the sitting with samu as i have been cleaning for hours and only afterward i notice there is no aversion to it ( and i hate cleaning ).
    so you could say i substitute my sitting zazen for cleaning zazen.

Gassho, Daniel.

I am not currently doing ango, but I have been following this thread, and it is very inspiring. Thank you. Regardless of how well or negligently you all feel your efforts have been made, others are reading along and are making plans to follow in your footsteps.

I also wanted to mention that the path to this place, for me, was paved with the Tassajara Bread Book by Ed Brown, and the book 3 Bowls (another Buddhist cookbook). I cook from these everyday and at some point I just said, "I want to do that! No... really."

Tassajara, may it be said, is the best wheat bread recipe I've ever made. He makes a mean rosemary focaccia as well. Could make a nice stand-in when peanut butter cravings strike?
    Gassho.

Mandy

Hi everyone

I just take a few minutes...
    The Ango is still running and these last days have been a bit easier, I sit daily and even try to keep on the metta practice. Of course, I sometimes forgot about the gatha before eating, but I usually do it!
    I finished the rakusu but I'm still trying to keep a "sewing practice", I'm making another zafu and also some pants to sit...

Well, in general things are a bit easier than a few weeks ago, even if I'm still having exams (untill the end of january) and trying to be present next to my injured friend...

Hope you folks are having a "good" Ango!

Gassho to everyone,

Luis

Hi everyone,

I feel like I've lost some of my Ango momentum mostly due to being sick with a very bad cold last week. I sat a few times while sick and did some reclining zazen, also. This week I'm just having trouble getting back on track. Still doing metta practice, the meal chant, volunteering (actually increased my commitment), etc. Just fell off the zazen wagon. Words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Gassho, Jean

Quote Originally Posted by JeanVB
    Just fell off the zazen wagon. Words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Gassho, Jean
    When falling off Zafu, get back on Zafu. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Gassho, Jean
    When falling off Zafu, get back on Zafu. 8)
    Wise, succinct and practical as always, Jundo. Thank you

Gassho, Jean

Right here, right now, is Zen too. What wagon? :-)

The retreat so far is actually fun for me. So ..well do it when you can. the experience just can't be beat, especially if you're like me and have never done one.

_/_

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234