Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kesa OKESA, it is about time!

Re: Kesa OKESA, it is about time!

I'm still creeping along on mine too. Work has been crazy for the past few months . . . this economic thing has affected private colleges dramatically, so the committees I'm on have been particularly busy. I'm still hoping to carve out more time for sewing.

Eika

Hi all,

Just a quick update on my sewing. I finished attaching the fifth stripe last week and am about half finished with the sixth. At my current pace should have the seventh finished by mid December. That leaves the frame and about a month to bring this whole project to completion in under a year. But if it takes one day over or more, that's how long it takes. I'll post some pictures as soon as the sun comes out! Since I haven't been sitting as much the kesa has been my zazen; it's no substitute for sure, but being able to move seems to be "better" for me at the present moment in that I'm doing it.

Thank you to everyone as always for being behind every stitch.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Great stuff Dosho! I found the same thing as you that i sat a little less in favor of sewing zazen.

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi all,

I've been promising some pictures for awhile so here goes. All 7 stripes are attached, although I do have two more rows of stitching, one on each end. However, it should be at its full size now. I've started working on the ties for a change of pace but will work on attaching the frame in the next couple weeks while my wife is at home. I hope to have it finished by New Years.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Attached files

Wow! Very nice work.

Ron

Dosho,

Attaching the frame is the most tedious and difficult part. But I am sure all is/will be well.

Thank you for this gift to all beings

gassho...

Taigu

Hello all,

Dosho, it's beautiful! I have not undertaken this project yet...but you and Dirk, Filur and the others are such an inspiration.

_/_ bows to you,

Kelly (Jinmei)

Jinmei really thank you for being the inspiration!!

Dosho - that looks perfect Agreed the En is alot of stitches. The aspect i actually enjoyed was at every "point of completion" reached there is an new begining and even when we have the task complete it really never is! repairs, washing, folding, honoring, sitting and on!

Deep bows

Shohei

Hi all,

Well, I've had to concede that I won't finish my kesa by the jukai which is what I had been shooting for, but over the weekend I found myself rushing in order to finish and at that point I knew I was beginning to miss the point! When this realization came to me after redoing a section of the frame I actually began to well up with tears. I hadn't realized before that moment how much I had invested myself in a goal that had no more meaning than any other date, but still I was in a sense "crushed". In that moment I had another realization: The kesa is a metaphor for my life!

Let me explain. As I have moved through the process I have faced "demons" such as perfectionism, lack of patience, fear of failure, and an overabundance of pride. These are all the exact same things I have pressed up against countless times in my life. I now have my very own crucible with a lens that allows me to see what I have been doing to myself for so many years. It was depressing and liberating all in the same moment, something that seems to happen to me a lot since coming to Treeleaf.

I certainly haven't conquered any of these demons and in fact their power over me is an additional source of frustration, but the inner workings of my mind are now open for all to see and it's been awhile since anyone did any work in there! It feels like a mess...both that thing I label as "my mind" and what my eldest son refers to as "Daddy's green blanket"...the kesa.

This weekend was the first time I ever considered not completing the process I started about a year ago but that didn't last long. To rush it or let it go would allow important elements of practice to fall away needlessly. If I was using it as a crutch that would be sad, but my fears that it isn't good enough, will never get finished, and that I'm not good enough have come to mind...and I want to just let them drift by. Oh if it were that easy...but I don't think it's supposed to be easy...or hard. They are all just conceptions and judgments of mind that will only stop the process if "I" allow them to do so.

So, with that said, back to work...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hi all,

Well, I've had to concede that I won't finish my kesa by the jukai which is what I had been shooting for, but over the weekend I found myself rushing in order to finish and at that point I knew I was beginning to miss the point! When this realization came to me after redoing a section of the frame I actually began to well up with tears. I hadn't realized before that moment how much I had invested myself in a goal that had no more meaning than any other date, but still I was in a sense "crushed". In that moment I had another realization: The kesa is a metaphor for my life!

Let me explain. As I have moved through the process I have faced "demons" such as perfectionism, lack of patience, fear of failure, and an overabundance of pride. These are all the exact same things I have pressed up against countless times in my life. I now have my very own crucible with a lens that allows me to see what I have been doing to myself for so many years. It was depressing and liberating all in the same moment, something that seems to happen to me a lot since coming to Treeleaf.

I certainly haven't conquered any of these demons and in fact their power over me is an additional source of frustration, but the inner workings of my mind are now open for all to see and it's been awhile since anyone did any work in there! It feels like a mess...both that thing I label as "my mind" and what my eldest son refers to as "Daddy's green blanket"...the kesa.

This weekend was the first time I ever considered not completing the process I started about a year ago but that didn't last long. To rush it or let it go would allow important elements of practice to fall away needlessly. If I was using it as a crutch that would be sad, but my fears that it isn't good enough, will never get finished, and that I'm not good enough have come to mind...and I want to just let them drift by. Oh if it were that easy...but I don't think it's supposed to be easy...or hard. They are all just conceptions and judgments of mind that will only stop the process if "I" allow them to do so.

So, with that said, back to work...

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Sounds to me like your Kesa is already well sewn.

Gassho, Jundo

Dosho, thank you so much!
    what you wrote was very profound and makes me look at my life and realize many things i have known before but seems to have forgotten.
    it seems i have forgotten to be satisfied with what is and let things just be. i still let things be as they are and i do accept them but it seems i dont really enjoy life as much as i used to. maybe its my mental fatigue but i dont seem to be able to overcome it and feel utterly alone... even though i am not alone at all i do feel lonely lately. even with my girlfriend i feel that our relationship has met many difficulties that are pretty much pointless and have no reason but stupidity and ignorance on both our sides.

anyway, thank you for your efforts!
    i only wish you to finish your kesa and just let it be as it is, and most importantly i wish you happiness.

Gassho, Dojin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    it seems i have forgotten to be satisfied with what is and let things just be. i still let things be as they are and i do accept them....
    We are satisfied with things as they are and let life be ... yet we keep sewing and moving forward.

We keep sewing and moving forward ... yet let things be as they are and accept them.

Dosho,

You have received the most precious teachings the okesa can give you.
    What you experience now is the very reason I disagree with people saying that a kesa can be machine sewn.
    They simply don't know what they are talking about, even if they are respected Japanese roshis.
    You are now with your green blanket sitting close to Kodo Sawaki.And more importantly closer to yourself than ever.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Thank you for being a student of the kesa.
    Thank you for treasuring your life as it is.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    it seems i have forgotten to be satisfied with what is and let things just be. i still let things be as they are and i do accept them....
    We are satisfied with things as they are and let life be ... yet we keep sewing and moving forward.

We keep sewing and moving forward ... yet let things be as they are and accept them.

It is a hard Lesson to learn... and even harder ( much much harder ) to implement and uphold it all the time...
    sometimes i seems to forget that but i am reminded of it by all of you here in treeleaf, thank you for that.

Gassho, Dojin.

Very nice kesa indeed Dosho!
    This lesson caught up with me stitching the thing to my loose fitting pants, removing stitches and redoing them... only to realize it was STILL WRONG!! (3rd times a charm i cringed)
    It will get done and you will have to start again - so rushing is out
    Thank you so much for you, your efforts and the wonderful teaching!

Deep bows
    Shohei

Seven months after buying the fabric, I have started the cutting. I read through the various formulas for the size and used a pinned bedsheet to make sure everything was correct, for some reason it seemed so large, because I'm a small in stature person. Amazing it was correct.

Discovered I didn't have enough cotton cloth. Went back to the big-box store hoping to find the same bolt and it was there in the remnant pile, untouched as I left it last June.

After cutting my second Cho, I realized I cut it opposite the grain, so I rotated the piece & recut that piece into a Tan.

I am finding freedom in this whole process. My days start off by cooking & tidying up, washing and tending to my mothers twisted feet, suffering from advanced dementia, time, place and words are slipping away from her, my patience sometimes weighs heavy on me but now is somehow lightened by this Okesa cutting and sewing.

Gassho,
    Jintai

Hi
    Couldnt agree more on the freedom found in the process to make whole a living and breathing robe and the fabric one! Still can be frustrating at times but as we know a good teacher in those rough stitches too.
    Im glad you are on this journey too Thank you for your efforts Jintai!

Deep bows to you and for your patience.

Shohei

Hey Jintai,

Glad you are moving forward with the kesa and it's nice to have our little group here working on things. If I can ever offer any assistance please don't hesitate to post here or send me a message directly. I'm sure we'd all prefer to trade advice here in the forum but sometimes you need to vent to one person...well, at least I do.

Deep bows to you and your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Jintai,

Very glad you are undertaking this great task. Come and knock on my door, if you wish. And also remember that I will start a course about sewing the okesa this Spring.

gassho

Taigu

i am really excited and waiting for the kesa project to start... i didnt get it from looking at the instructions on the blog

Hi Taigu and everyone,

I am very interested in joining the kesa sewing circle this spring. Looking forward to sewing with you all!

Gassho, Jikyo

While I still have enough hawser rope and a shiny anchor to sew with, I would like to join the sewing bee of living the Kesa.

Kyrill Seishin

Welcome Seishin, Jikyo and Dojin ! We will start in Spring and I will try to offer personal guidance and advise people so they don't get stuck. Shohei and Dosho might be willing to help me too.

gassho

Taigu

Hi folks!
    I just have seen we will be soon sewing together again , and I'll be glad to be part of it and share the experience with all of you! So, please count me in!

Can't wait to "ruin" my fingers again :lol:

Gassho,
    Luis-Jinyu

No problem, Luis.
    It is a great undertaking.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Shohei and Dosho might be willing to help me too.
    Looking forward to it!

Hello all,

I too am looking forward to undertaking this journey with all of you in the spring.

Many bows to all,
    Kelly - Jinmei

Hi All,

My fingers should be well by then, so count me in as well. I am looking forward to it!

Dosho, Jinmei and Shinko, welcome!
    For the moment let's enjoy the last whiffs of Winter!

gassho

Taigu

Hi Taigu,
    Could you say a word about this kind of kesa? it's seems to be like a very big rakusu?

Gassho,
    Luis

The priest on the picture is Niwa Zenji who used to be the abbot of Eiheiji and is also one of the ancestors of Treeleaf... he is Jundo s grandfather in the Dharma ... Jundo s teacher s teacher and my great grandfather.

Yes, Luis, he is wearing a big rakusu that yopu can see on the shoulders of the main abbots of Sotoshu. We don t wear those things. We keep it simple. brown or blackish bib and that s it...

gassho

Taigu

The priest on the picture is Niwa Zenji who used to be the abbot of Eiheiji and is also one of the ancestors of Treeleaf... he is Jundo s grandfather in the Dharma
    Yes, I picked the photo on Treeleaf lineage page. But,I already I've seen his picture here in Europe, because he's the one who transmitted the shiho to the heirs of Deshimaru Roshi a "few" years ago.
    and my great grandfather
    He's also "ours" isn't he?

Well, Thank you Taigu,

Gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Dear all,

an for those whose finished sewing the o-Kesa here on Youtube how to tie the o-Kesa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYiXETKajU[/video]]

and here the Kesa Chant:

Robe Chant
    Takkesa Ge æ*è¢?è£?å? ã?ã¤ãã?ã' (Repeat 3 times)

大å??解è?±æ?
    ã*ã?ã?ã?ã'ã*ã£ã·ã
    dai sai ge dappuku
    How great the cloth of liberation,

ç?¡ç?¸ç¦ç?°è¡£
    ã??ãã?ãµãã§ã??ã?
    mu so fuku den e
    the formless field of virtue,

æ?«å¥?å¦?æ¥æ??
    ã²ã¶ã«ã??ã??ã?ãã??ã?
    hi bu nyorai kyo
    I put on the teaching of the tathagatha,

åº?度諸è¡?ç??
    ã?ã?ã©ã?ã??ã?ã??ã?ã??ã?
    ko do sho shu jo
    vowing to save all suffering beings!

With best Wishes
    ShinMeiDokuJoh

Here an interesting text about Fukudenkai

This paper discusses twentieth-century Buddhist robe study and sewing groups called fukudenkai that were established after World War II by the Soto Zen priest and scholar Sawaki Kodo (1898-1965) and his disciples. The term fukudenkai refers to a metaphor of spiritual efficacy (a field of merit) that the robe embodies, and many participants believe that the act of sewing the robe in a context of meditation and formal Zen practice produces merit.
    here's the link, I didn't manage to upload the document:

http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/pub ... df/697.pdf

With best wishes
    ShinMeiDokuJoh

and here some sewing instructions (in Japanese):

http://www.kogonji.jp/fukudenkai/fukudenkai.html

For Rakuzu ???? click here:
    http://www.kogonji.jp/fukudenkai/3/3.html

For Zagu: ????
    http://www.kogonji.jp/fukudenkai/11/11.html#za

For o-Kesa incl. drawings how to fold the o-Kesa before putting it in the bag:
    http://www.kogonji.jp/fukudenkai/11/11.html#syo

For the bag: by the way, how do I spell the name for this bag in japanese?
    http://www.kogonji.jp/fukudenkai/11/11.html#kesa

With best regards
    ShinMeiDokuJoh

Thank you very much ShinMeiDokuJoh!
    Lots of helpful information and the link to the pdf. Great site! One quick word on the Kesa in Nishijima roshi's vid, It is a bit different from the Nyohoe that I think we are going to be sewing and therefore are put on a bit different but (different ties etc). Still very helpful for those with a similar robe! Is that robe in the video "regular" issue Sotoshu?
    It has been a year since sewing my first Kesa and im still learning how to properly put it on and take it off Very much looking forward to sewing with everyone again!

Indeed, However I can, it maybe by being a subtle teacher in what Not to do

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Indeed, However I can, it maybe by being a subtle teacher in what Not to do
    LOL! Indeed my dharma brother....indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    ... One quick word on the Kesa in Nishijima roshi's vid, It is a bit different from the Nyohoe that I think we are going to be sewing and therefore are put on a bit different but (different ties etc). Still very helpful for those with a similar robe! Is that robe in the video "regular" issue Sotoshu? ...
    Dear Shohei, dear all,
    yes in the video Nishijimi Roshi tucks parts of the o-Kesa inside on his chest,
    here on this picture is a different style used, there is on the back the corner of the o-Kesa seen.
    So me too I am not shure of the Nyohoe wrapping style

http://www.flickr.com/photos/renshin/41 ... 907161179/

Here's the full album, this sangha uses a real nice blue colour:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/renshin/se ... 907161179/

With best regards
    ShinMeiDokuJoh

Attached files

LOL! Indeed my dharma brother....indeed!
    :lol:

Hi ShinMeiDokuJoh!
    Thank you for sharing those albums! Some one Those are nice shots, I really like the blue!

I think that I have the "hang of it" but im not very ..um graceful or quick
    With the Nyohoe you flip the right upper corner over your left shoulder (as you have pictured and tuck the edge now facing toward your rightside (in towards your neck) in under the left upper side (That runs down over you left side) and continue rolling the top right edge over the ties and along the front a bit. LOL I don't know if that even makes sense...It really takes a a visual like a video or series of images to get it across clear for me I think Taigu could set it straight ... so its best not to listen to me ramble

Very much looking forward to picking up the needle and thread

Gassho,
    Shohei

Hi Shohei,

me too I feel now really attached to that lovely blue colour ops:
    I think you explained well, maybe Taigu could show us in a video

So here some more links, all in Japanese, but just clicks on the pictures:
    http://w7.oroti.com/~okesa/sakusei/index.html

click here on the big picture and you get a really big Photo, so detailed the stitches,
    as here: http://w7.oroti.com/~okesa/toukou_gazou.htm

I am impressed by this detail picture, it seems all those little mountains are sewn individually:

With best wishes

ShinMeiDokuJoh

Attached files

Hi Shohei,

Yes, the robe that Nishijima roshi uses on the vid is the regular kesa which is sold in monk shops and is the only one allowed by the Sotoshu. In major temples klike Eiheiji or Sojiji the nyohoe robe is forbiden. It is only sewn these days by a few monks who are rebels and follow the teachings of Sawaki Kodo and Hashimoto and by lay people who organize fukudenkai, sewing groups and sit together. The way to put a nyohoe on is different too. I am going to record a vid soon so everybody will be shown how to do it properly.

Hi Shinmeidokujoh, Welcome!!!yes, the blue colour is great, one of the tips I sometimes give people is to pick up a dark blue or get a purple fabric and dye it blue and then playing with the way the fabric is woven, you may alternate patches so even if the kesa is in the same colour and fabric, because the fabric cathches the light in a different way, you get the impression to have a patchwork of different shades of blue. This works really well with fine cotton fabric. The other way is like Halifax roshi to collect various fabrics of different colours and patterns and dye them in a singledark blue or green. You end up again with something very patchwork-like. Now, many nyohoe priest like to sew a kesa which is a combination of dark blue and deep green, using the green as narrow vertical and horizontal stripes applied on a huge rectangle of blue fabric to form the body of the nyohoe...But this sort of kesa is for teachers.

gassho

Taigu

Dear Taigu,

thanks a lot for your great information.

...Now, many nyohoe priest like to sew a kesa which is a combination of dark blue and deep green, using the green as narrow vertical and horizontal stripes applied on a huge rectangle of blue fabric to form the body of the nyohoe...But this sort of kesa is for teachers.
    gassho
    Taigu
    Thanks for the warning, I just wanted to rush out to get dark blue and deep green cloth for my next o-Kesa project

In some other threads I read about recommendable colours for sewing the o-Kesa. Are there other colour combinations
    which are only allowed for teachers or higher ranking monks and/or priests?

Do you know of monasterys or temples in Japan which are affiliated to Noyohoe tradition?

With best regards
    ShinMeiDokuJoh

Hi Shinmeidokujo,

The whole issue is that one should not really mind too much about colour and stuff. The best way forward is to collect fabric, dye it in a dark shade and put it together.

If you stick to the official Japanese style, the lighter the higher.

Simplicity is best.

gassho

Taigu

Hiyas
    Just a bit of something to share:

You also may get the book of Tomoe Katagiri, the wife of the late Katagiri roshi: Study of the Okesa, Nyoho-e, Buddha's robe published by Minnesota Zen Meditation Center in Minneapolis. It is a great book following Hashimoto Roshi's instructions ( a bit different from Sawaki Kodo). I shall stick to Sawaki's original teachings and measurements as explained on my blog but please, feel free to go for Hashimoto Roshi's method, particularly if you get hold of the book and relate well to written instructions. The book is also very precious for it has detailed drawings about stitches, how to fold the corners and so forth...
    http://www.mnzencenter.org/tomoe_sewing_book.php

This very book is now available online (with a suggested donation payable via paypal). When i wrote and asked for a copy and offered a donation they said they would be doing this soon and I want to say its priceless so putting a 10 dollar suggested donation on it is very cheap indeed

Gassho
    Shohei

WOW! Thanks Shohei for this very good news!
    But I've got a question, what are the main differences with Sawaki roshi way to sew the kesa?

edit: Well, I mean, I know sizes are a bit different? but, I just took a quick look to the measurements and I didn't see the differences. Is one bigger than another or something like that?

Anyway, thank you again Shohei!

Gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

Hi Luis
    Besides the inches/cm/mm differences... I noticed there is a difference in the formula for calculating the size. Close but different. The diagrams are nice references to illustrate methods as stated but the measurements are used ever so slightly different.

I have an example somewheres Ill see if i can dig it up.

Gassho
    Shohei

Thanks sohei!
    I just didn't see your answer with all that happened these days... :?
    It's true I didn't really know the measurements for the kesa, but when I look to the rakusu's measurements in cm... I really can't find a difference... but I confess I make a LOT of mistakes in my daily life because I don't see details or small differences :roll: I'm capable to try to sew a seven stripe kesa with the measurements of the sho-san-e (it is so tiny it must be tricky to sew).

Thank you anyway!
    Gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu

All,

I have a question about both rakusu and okesa. I intend to study to take jukai with the next available class if it is possible to do so, and as such, I have begun my "rag hunt" to find sewing materials. We have an old comforter here at the apartment. It is one that I have had a very long time, and it is dark, dark green on one side, with a lighter green printed with dragons on the other. It's currently on the bed, but is about to come apart at the seams, and instead of throwing it out, I wonder if it would be good to repurpose the fabric for rakusu and, possibly, okesa. I have actually used it as a wrap when sitting in colder weather before, and it's one of a few possessions I've dragged around everywhere I've lived most of my adult life since I got it. Seems like being "reborn" this way would be a good fate for it. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaDemon
    All,

I have a question about both rakusu and okesa. I intend to study to take jukai with the next available class if it is possible to do so, and as such, I have begun my "rag hunt" to find sewing materials. We have an old comforter here at the apartment. It is one that I have had a very long time, and it is dark, dark green on one side, with a lighter green printed with dragons on the other. It's currently on the bed, but is about to come apart at the seams, and instead of throwing it out, I wonder if it would be good to repurpose the fabric for rakusu and, possibly, okesa. I have actually used it as a wrap when sitting in colder weather before, and it's one of a few possessions I've dragged around everywhere I've lived most of my adult life since I got it. Seems like being "reborn" this way would be a good fate for it. Thoughts?
    Hi.

Sounds good.
    One thing though, unless the dragons are "small" they'll almost certainly be chopped off at places doing the rakusu...
    Maybe even at doing the kesa.
    just so you know, and are prepared for it.
    And what fabric is it?
    But for scraps it's looking good.
    Actually i think shohei is up to much the same project.
    As he and Taigu are the tailors of this place, pm him and see if he can give you any pointers...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi Lisa,

Good rags. Sounds great. But remember...because it is old, you might have to mend it, the fabric can be more fragile. I often advise people to go for brown new material rather than rags... for that reason. Rags are rags because you see them as rags. The romanatic quest for best rags, why not? Anyway, I like the fact that it is an old friend of yours... I would like to make more than a suggestion: you should dye the fabric in a mute and dark shade. Not use it as such. I mean it. It is what we do in our tradition.

Take care and thank you for starting a kesa

gassho

taigu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast