Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kesa OKESA, it is about time!

Re: Kesa OKESA, it is about time!

Rev. Taigu and others, thanks for your feedback.

When you say not to "use it as such," does that mean not to use it as it is, with any designs that are on it? I have the intention of using the fabric that's just green, as opposed to the parts with designs, so should I still dye it regardless?

Hey Lisa,

I believe Taigu was referring to the designs when he mentioned dyeing the material, but using a dye on any material would be traditional. I would say that as long as all the material is the same color dyeing is not a must since the kesa I am working on is all of new material and I did not dye it. Taigu has often suggested that we make our first rakusu/kesa with new material so it is easier to work with while we learn how to sew, but I would think that less impoart if you have sewing experience (I had none whatsoever).

I am too working on a kesa so I may be of some help (mostly in what I have found NOT to do), but Taigu and Shohei are very good teachers...but both of them would probably say that we are all beginners and that is most definitely true.

Good luck on your project and please offer me some as well as I always need some good luck.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hiya Lisa
    On the rags front it certainly is more difficult to work with, due to inconsistencies in the material and its fragility(for the rakusu or kesa).
    Im posting my reply with thinking more of the idea of using it later for a kesa.

If it were an old comforter in its previous life (and well loved), then in its new life as a square supporting other squares may not hold up all the others weight and wear and tear as a robe. To that respect, my first kesa is made of blue bedsheets and leftover new brown material from my rakusu the blue is not as sturdy and is woven looser...result is its fragile. But what isn't I wear it almost all the time when I sit and have had to do some repairs already.

Also, though we do not discriminate between rags and new, fine rags and less than fine rags- the old worn stuff is still going to fall apart fast despite any philosophy about rags and is tougher to work with esp. for a first trip through in sewing your kesa! Besides we are already wrapped up in the kesa long before we sew it! Whether they are made up of no-rags, holy rags, wholly rags or holes in rags :shock: !

Another thought that popped up, if you want to use this comforter, how about dying it and using it for say the anchors (though supporting pieces they have a lot of stitches backing them up), or bottom cho and tan bits and/or joro? they are an important bits but not too hard to mend if need be and are not as likely to get as much pull on them like the other panels/ties etc.

Just some thoughts from a guy that should have slept and then posted

No matter what you do you have folks here to lend a hand as needed!

Gassho
    Shohei

Hello Taigu and everyone!
    I have just joined Treeleaf! I have been sitting for about 10 years and have taken the precepts in the lineage of Suzuki Roshi. However, there is no zendo near where I live in Ireland. So, I think what you are doing in Treeleaf is great.

I see that you were planning to start an Okesa project. Have you started? I would like your permission to join in and sew an Okesa, if that is ok. Did you make videos to follow on YouTube? I saw your films on sewing the Rakusu. They were great. A great and unselfish gift to all who practice.

With respect and deep bows,
    Ian in Ireland
    (Soen Doshin)

Hi Soen!
    I may be out of line in saying so before Taigu or Jundo respond, but if you have received Jukai and have the experience of having sewn a rakusu (the only requirement stated at the start of this thread really) then I couldn't ponder any issue with sewing a kesa! To quote a good friend... Its good practice

Welcome again!
    Gassho
    Shohei

Welcome Soen, and you may read my very clumsy kesa blog...

http://nyohoekesa.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html

waiting for the vids about the kesa that will come as soon as I can pick uo the old linen being dyed in Kyoto in the most traditionnl manner. I should start mid June.

gassho

TAigu

Dear Jundo,

Being new to the Sangha may I join the rakuso and Jukai group ?

Hi all,

I was glad to see this thread had new posts and that Taigu will be starting some videos on the kesa soon. I am still working on mine, although I must admit it sat on the ironing board undisturbed for quite awhile. My perfectionism rears its ugly head every so often but hopefully it will not be too long now. I'd really like to complete it soon and, like zazen, I will re-dedicate myself to the project every day, every moment, until it is finished...and then I'll start another one!

Looking forward to sewing the kesa with all of you. Truth be told, I already am.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Dear Jundo,

Being new to the Sangha may I join the rakuso and Jukai group ?
    Hi Silva,

Of course. That will begin later this year.

Gassho, Jundo

Hello Jundo,

Thank-you for your answer. This will be a beautiful way to join in the Sangha. Will you be using the same book R. Aitken's A mind of clover ? I would like to prepare now, because later in september we shall be leaving for the Cook islands for 7-8 months so I want to take all I may need with me. I could order books from New Zealand but it won't be so convenient and very expensive postage. I'll be able to communicate on the internet but it will be at the local post office!
    As for Jukai I am reading your text about it ... it feels very "natural "

Bonne journée

gassho

Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Hello Jundo,

Thank-you for your answer. This will be a beautiful way to join in the Sangha. Will you be using the same book R. Aitken's A mind of clover ? I would like to prepare now, because later in september we shall be leaving for the Cook islands for 7-8 months so I want to take all I may need with me. I could order books from New Zealand but it won't be so convenient and very expensive postage. I'll be able to communicate on the internet but it will be at the local post office!
    As for Jukai I am reading your text about it ... it feels very "natural "

Bonne journée

gassho

Sylvie
    Hi Sylvie,

Probably, it will be the same book. I am looking at one other book now, and possibly a change. I will try to finish reading it soon. Gassho, J

Hello all,

Dosho, you are an inspiration. Your patience and care in your sewing is a great teaching in itself.

I am very happy that I'll be sewing the Okesa with you this summer. Taigu has kindly granted me permission. And if his Okesa instruction videos are anything like his Rakusu instructions, they will be a valuable and selfless gift to all sentient beings. Thank you Taigu.

Have you started sewing yet Shohei? I'm wondering if I should sew linen or cotton ...?

Deep bows to all!
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Hello all

Dosho, you are an inspiration. Your patience and care in your sewing is a great teaching in itself.

I am very happy that I'll be sewing the Okesa with you this summer. Taigu has kindly granted me permission. And if his Okesa instruction videos are anything like his Rakusu instructions, they will be a valuable and selfless gift to all sentient beings. Thank you Taigu.

Have you started sewing yet Shohei? I'm wondering if I should sew linen or cotton ...?

Deep bows to all!
    Soen
    Hi Soen
    Very glad we will be sewing along together!

I have sewn one kesa already, started in October of 2008 and finished in January 2009.(though not really complete as it wears here and there... FYI never pull that string!) I blogged about it (see below). This kesa was made of left overs from my rakusu a cotton linen, and a blue flannel bed sheet. The weave of the 2 materials are very different and brought up some issues when sewing them together that i didn't anticipate.

This time around I have purchased a medium weight dark blue linen. All the same material (3m x1.5m of it) and cut it with and against the grain of the material, gives it abit of a patchwork feel with out actually using rags as i once thought I would. Since this robe is for upcoming Shukke Tokudo I decided to purchase new material with the same attitude as selecting rags... nothing special just what is needed. The weight is a bit heavy when you consider the layers to be worn with it however I live in an area that regularly sees -20 to -30s C so it will be appreciated in some December retreat .

I would suggest (though no expert!!! just going by what was recommended to me) a very light light linen if you can (almost see through) like a very light summer dress shirt if that makes sense.

Progress on this current kesa was going to be put up on my blog along with thoughts and commentary (yawn I know :P) but I didn't want to spill the beans. Here is some pics of where I was, 2 panel sets together.
    Currently, complete panel set #4 working on putting together #5 set

hmm I talk too much

Gassho
    Shohei

Attached files

Hi!
    What a nice color! but it is true that the fabric looks a bit thick ... there is a lot of ironing work over there :lol:
    Courage for your sewing and congratulations again!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Quote Originally Posted by Luis
    Hi!
    What a nice color! but it is true that the fabric looks a bit thick ... there is a lot of ironing work over there :lol:
    Courage for your sewing and congratulations again!

gassho,
    Jinyu
    Hi and thanks Jinyu!!
    Its a bit thick but i can see through it... was the lightest they had on hand. I think Ill hunt around more next time

Gassho
    Shohei

That’s great Shohei, and thank you for your advice.

I like the dark blue you have chosen. I’ll go for a similar colour, I think. And I will look for a very light material, as you suggest. I may go for cotton, however, as it doesn’t crease as easily and the fibers withstand a lot of folding (which any Okesa will get over the years).

Your work is shaping up nicely. When is your priest ordination? Will Jundo be ordaining you? It is all very exciting…

Gassho,
    Soen

Very excited to join in on this sewing as well! I must have another look at the blog because I can't seem to derive measurements after a few times looking. Maybe I'm not being mindful enough ops:

Many Gasshos
    Taylor

Hi Taylor,

Wait a bit, I am doing a guide again. And soon shooting vids.
    By the way, you can always get in touch with Shohei, my student. He wuill make it clear for you.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Good rags. Sounds great. But remember...because it is old, you might have to mend it, the fabric can be more fragile.
    Oh, yes. I have two very old patchwork quilts sewn by my grandmother. Several of the patches are quite worn. They have split in the centre and frayed, making it extremely difficult to fix them. As a result, these beautiful blankets, full of memories, are hidden away, unused, in a cabinet because I don't want them to disintegrate further.

It would be a shame to put so much love and care into sewing a kesa and then not be able to use it because of the delicate fabric.

Seona

Wait a bit
    Gassho, something I often need to hear :P

The kesa seems to be starting its teaching process even before I have purchased the fabric. I caught myself planning on what to finish by when and this and that to make it easier for school and all of this nonsense. Not the point, as far as I can tell. The kesa is life, it is worn and sewn through easy times and through rough times, sunny days and rainy days. Not about the finished product, all about the journey through the sewing.

Again, many gasshos to everyone who has undertaken this task.
    Taylor

Hi Taylor,

Wait a bit, I am doing a guide again. And soon shooting vids.
    By the way, you can always get in touch with Shohei, my student. He wuill make it clear for you.

gassho

Taigu
    ^^ Yes! If anyone has any questions i will do my best to help out, PM/Email or skype and when possible. I am currently sewing so its very fresh in my mind.

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Wait a bit
    Gassho, something I often need to hear :P

The kesa seems to be starting its teaching process even before I have purchased the fabric. I caught myself planning on what to finish by when and this and that to make it easier for school and all of this nonsense. Not the point, as far as I can tell. The kesa is life, it is worn and sewn through easy times and through rough times, sunny days and rainy days. Not about the finished product, all about the journey through the sewing.

Again, many gasshos to everyone who has undertaken this task.
    Taylor

Indeed!

Gassho

Hi Taylor,

I did many of the same things when I started sewing the kesa and had to let go of all that...but it took a lot of time. And I'm still doing it! I admire the gusto with which you jumped into sewing the rakusu...reminds me of another sewer I know from here, but I would strongly recommend putting the kesa sewing aside until you have received jukai this winter. Of course that is just a fool's recommendation not knowing you or your circumstances quite yet...for all know it is exactly your path.

In any event, many bows to you and to your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hi Taylor,

I did many of the same things when I started sewing the kesa and had to let go of all that...but it took a lot of time. And I'm still doing it! I admire the gusto with which you jumped into sewing the rakusu...reminds me of another sewer I know from here, but I would strongly recommend putting the kesa sewing aside until you have received jukai this winter. Of course that is just a fool's recommendation not knowing you or your circumstances quite yet...for all know it is exactly your path.

In any event, many bows to you and to your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thank you for the advice Dosho (and everyone else!). This was something I have been considering, actually. There is much preparation that occurs for Jukai and school alone is of primary importance (due to that wonderful $20,000/yr price tag it carries). I tend to live up in the clouds a bit when it comes to these sort of things, the romanticism of it all and what not, and need to come back down rather frequently. So I thank you for another anchoring comment

I believe I will find the fabric and attempt to cut it. Working slowly. At school I often find myself just sitting around doing little but browsing facebook and the like so maybe this could be a better use of my time :P

Gassho

Hi Taigu and everyone!
    I'm actually sewing a rakusu I would like to offer to a friend and as soon as I finish it (no hurry just the time it takes to do it well) I'll begin sewing kesa. But I prefer to wait for your written guide and I'll surely call Sohei for help on this too ;o)

BTW thank you for sharing the joy of this wonderful path of the Buddha Kasaya! It is one of the common things in all buddhist tradition, and it is a very powerful practice and an help and "counselor" in so many ways! I'm also very touch when I think of the words of Sawaki Kodo : "we are the School of the Kesa", so touched when I think of this practice he succeed to re-establish. I can't forget about Jiun Sonja who dedicate his life to the "true kesa", in all the ancestors and patriarchs who dedicate their lives to this practice... The kesa is a living memory, the living and apparent garment of transmission who links us to Shakyamuni Buddha and to all our Buddhist fellows...

Well, I hope my poor English doesn't ruin the point I'm trying to make...
    Sorry for this guys, but that thing is HUGE and just as it is, just a simple down to earth practice and so much more...

Deep bows to every one of you,
    Luis-Jinyu

Just a quick question: are the widths on all the patches supposed to be the same? Half of mine (ABC) are 38 cm and the other half (DEF) are 36cm. Is this correct?

As a side note, I am spending the year collecting fabric from various places (friends, family, the rag pile in the garage) to begin sewing sometime next year. I don't know if it will take that long to gather the fabric, but I am doing it on donation only. There is a humbling sense of relying only on others for this. This Kesa, like all of life, must be done alone, but cannot be completed (or even begun) without the help of others. This is an exercise in humility and patience for me. I'm sure I will end up with more fabric than I need, that can be handled later (Many rakusu donations perhaps?)

Gassho

Yes Taylor, it is fine as you can read from my Bolg on the Nyohoe kesa, http://nyohoekesa.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html:

In order to make a seven stripes kesa and if your Chu is 43cm:
    Length of kesa is 123cm and its width 205cm
    Length of the small dandyaku is 23 cm
    Length of the big dandyaku is 40 cm

You will need to cut: :

5 patches A: 37cm/35cm
    (Width 23+6+6+2= 37
    Length 23+4+6+2= 35)

5 patches B: 37cm/54cm

5 patches C: 37cm/52 cm

2 patches D: 35cm/35cm

2 patches E: 35cm/54cm

2 patches F: 35 cm/52 cm

frame: 2 long stripes: 207 cm/ 6 cm
    2 long stripes: 125 cm/6 cm

4 squares: 6cm/6cm

2 squares: 10cm/10cm

ties: 2 long stripes 42cm/4 cm
    1 long stripe 72cm/4 cm

I generally add an extra cm to every measurement, just in case... I leave it up to you.

You may also put the kettle on...

And it is great to collect fabric. Make sure the fabric you collect is not too old, otherwise it will be endless mending for the years to come.

gassho

Taigu

Yes Taylor, it is fine as you can read from my Bolg on the Nyohoe kesa, http://nyohoekesa.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html:

And it is great to collect fabric. Make sure the fabric you collect is not too old, otherwise it will be endless mending for the years to come.

gassho

Taigu
    AH HA! Reading, yes... one of those things that one must do from time to time ops:

Dear Taigu and other sewing friends. I have a question about sewing the Kesa frame that maybe someone can offer me some advice on.

I have my seven stripes sewn together and am ready for the frame. Is my understanding correct that the Kesa frame folds over the front of the Kesa only? That the back has no frame folded over it?

I suppose after sewing a few Rakusu I expect the frame to fold over the front AND the back of the Kesa, rather than just over the front.

Because I'm a little dumb I find it hard to follow the instructions!

Deep bows and thanks for the solidarity,

Soen

Dear Taigu and other sewing friends. I have a question about sewing the Kesa frame that maybe someone can offer me some advice on.

I have my seven stripes sewn together and am ready for the frame. Is my understanding correct that the Kesa frame folds over the front of the Kesa only? That the back has no frame folded over it?

I suppose after sewing a few Rakusu I expect the frame to fold over the front AND the back of the Kesa, rather than just over the front.

Because I'm a little dumb I find it hard to follow the instructions!

Deep bows and thanks for the solidarity,

Soen
    Hi Soen
    Yes that is correct. You attach the frame on the back of the kesa, lining up the the back, folded over edge of your seam allowance on the en (frame) lined up with outer line you marked for the frame.

I recommend putting that outer line on the Back side of the kagami (kesa body) too so its easy to line your en up with. Sewing on the the frame, sew through the fold (do not open the fold and inside) the nice side of the stitch will be on the front of the frame and the less nice(?) side will show on the front of the kesa...when you fold the frame over to the front it will hide the less nice side and the back of the kesa will have no stitches showing for that outer most line only... also gives you a nice clean edge , I will post a pic in a few hours when i get home from work if you'd like.
    I will help how i can... my words are a bit awkward at times so if need be skype is available too

Gassho
    Shohei

** edit this may help too!

Attached files

Wow! I was sure that the frame was fold and sewn on exactly like we do for the rakusu! :shock:
    Thanks for asking Soen and thanks for answering Shohei!

gassho,
    Luis-Jinyu

edit:
    I just remember that there is the amazing blog on kesa sewing (where would we be without it!).
    It is true that a printable version of it would be great, I don't even think of a video version like we have for rakusu (but Oh my G.. think at all the work it implies!).
    But with the blog, Katagiri's book and all the talented sewers we get here, I imagine it is possible to "get there"!
    Here is the adress for those who haven't it:
    http://nyohoekesa.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

And here is the part on putting the frame... (I'm not there I'm still assembling stripes... and I think I made a mistake with the measurments... so I'm good to do it all again... nevermind --> good practice!).

Now comes the trickiest part. In order to put together the frame or border and the body of the kesa you’ll need patience and may be personal guidance. I will try to make it as clear as possible.

Take the long stripes or cuts of 207 cm / 6 cm. Draw a line at 1 cm from the edge for the fold. Draw another line at 4 cm from this previous line.

Put the folded frame on the back of the kesa and sew the top line. Do the same with the 2 other frames and sew them too. You end up with two frames sewn on the back of the kesa as shown on the picture.

You now have to draw a line on both parts of the frame on the front of the kesa at about 4 cm from the angle. Draw a diagonal line as shown on the picture. Leave 1 extra cm and cut the extra fabric.

You just have to fold the fabric as shown on the picture making sure that the length part of the frame overlaps the width.

You may then sew the middle line and the first line. The outer line is already sewn, it was on the back, as you moved the frame on the front it is now showing.

That's it! hope it helps you!
    But if Shohei can show us some pics from his kesa it would probably be even better!

gassho,
    Luis-Jinyu

Thank you so much Shohei and Luis-Jinyu (for the transmission of knowledge!). It is much clearer now. It is hard to picture without a finished Kesa in front of you.

Luis-Jinyu: I've been using Taigu's blog too. It is great. But even with that, it can be hard to picture the process sometimes. Especially for an impractical oaf like myself!

Shohei: a picture would be great and much appreciaated. You must be finishing up working on your ordination Kesa at this stage?

Deep bows,

Soen

Soen,

I have nothing to add to what Shohei and Luis have already said, but thought I'd post since I'm only just slightly ahead of where you are and am just now attaching the 4th strip of the frame pieces to the back. So, it wasn't long ago that I was saying pretty much the same thing as you are now. And once you get the 1st piece going it will start to make more sense...trust me.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Dosho, thank you for the words of encouragement. Good luck with your sewing too. I'd love to see some pictures when it's all done.

Gassho,

Soen

Hi Soen,

Don t hesitate to post some pics of the frame so we can confirm you got it right.

As soon as I am back to Japan, I shall do my best to make q new written kesa course available on line.

gassho

Taigu

Shohei: a picture would be great and much appreciaated. You must be finishing up working on your ordination Kesa at this stage?

Deep bows,

Soen
    Sorry for the delay! here are some pics!

Gassho
    Shohei

Attached files

Soen,

Here are some pics, the first of the back side where the front of the strips are attached:

The front side with the first line of stitches from the strips showing:

The front side again, with the stitched stripes folded over from the back, ready for the second and third lines of stitching:

Gassho,
    Dosho

Attached files

Thank you Shohei and Dosho! :wink:

Thanks guys! That really is a help. I think I'm on the right track. Will post some pictues as soon as I can.
    Three bows,
    Soen

Dear Taigu and other sewing friends,

Thank you for your help and advice throughout. I finished the Okesa in the small hours of last night. The entire sewing took about two months. Luckily I do not work during the summer, so I was able to sew when my wife was working and my baby son was asleep. I dedicate my sewing to them, to all you fellow sewers at Treeleaf, and to all sentient beings in this vast, mysterious Okesa that we are all part of.

Deep bows,

Soen

And here are some pictures of the case, Okesa and case, and part of the Okesa itself...

Hello Soen,

wonderful news indeed. I have only a few more stitches to do (roughly 30 minutes of work)...but I am saving them for the weekend I somehow lost a few centimeters too many...and some of the mistakes I made are damn ugly and clearly visible...but all in all I am impressed that I could do it at all.....a crooked Kesa for a crooked guy

Gassho to all of you sewing people. We may not have a lot of "means" in Soto-Zen, but the ones we do have, have power, if you allow them to unfold through your practise.

Another Gassho,

Hans

Hi Seon
    Beautiful!! Im very pleased for you!!!
    Deep bows (to you and all the sewing folks )

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi all,

Wonderful work, Soen.
    Nice to hear from you Hans. Well done to all.

Gassho

Taigu

Thanks guys. Sewing together.The meaning of Sangha.

Gassho,

Soen

Thanks guys. Sewing together.The meaning of Sangha.
    Indeed...beautiful work! Many bows to you and your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks for this thread....nearly three years ago but timeless! Myozan I am now asking the same question about the en and Kigami! Gassho to all sewing.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Mp
    Wow, some beautiful work here .... thank you all for your dedicated practice.

Gassho
    Shingen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123