Thread: NOTICE FROM JUNDO: IT'S JUKAI TIME .... AGAIN!

NOTICE FROM JUNDO: IT'S JUKAI TIME .... AGAIN!

Greeting All Ye Sinners ... :twisted:

Just a note that I have put up notice for our next (2009) Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts Study and Ceremony) ... here ...

(in our "Treeleaf JUKAI, PRECEPTS STUDY & RAKUSU SEWING FORUM" ) ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1826

Note that, in addition to sewing a Rakusu (not required for those who have already sewn last year and wish to participate again ... although lovely to sew again) ... and our 2-Day"Rohatsu Retreat" in December ... we will be have a special TREELEAF 100 DAY SPECIAL PRACTICE PERIOD! (details on that to come soon)) ...

Actual study and sewing for the Jukai will begin in early to mid September ... so please sit with this until then ...

Gassho, Jundo

Re: NOTICE FROM JUNDO: IT'S JUKAI TIME .... AGAIN!

Jukai has been on my mind alot recently. It's a funny thing with me though. I feel almost a fear of commitment is the best way to describe I believe.

I enjoy sitting. I haven't found anything in the Way so far that doesn't sit well or resonate with me.

I think of buying some more reading materials, making my mini-zendo area a bit nicer. I plan on things like setting up an altar, buying a decent zafu/zabuton set, sewing my rakusu( am excited about it really..all of it..maybe even exhilerated? ).

I'm turning into a zazen junkie. Am sooo close to sitting proper burmese it almost makes me wanna weep with joy.

Then I think, " Where is all this coming from because i'm not even sure I am taking my precepts even if I plan on taking part in the jukai study and am actually supremely excitable in regards to the upcoming ango."

*shrugs* Anyone else felt/feel like that?

_/_ evad

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDave
    Jukai has been on my mind alot recently. It's a funny thing with me though. I feel almost a fear of commitment is the best way to describe I believe.

I enjoy sitting. I haven't found anything in the Way so far that doesn't sit well or resonate with me.

I think of buying some more reading materials, making my mini-zendo area a bit nicer. I plan on things like setting up an altar, buying a decent zafu/zabuton set, sewing my rakusu( am excited about it really..all of it..maybe even exhilerated? ).

I'm turning into a zazen junkie. Am sooo close to sitting proper burmese it almost makes me wanna weep with joy.

Then I think, " Where is all this coming from because i'm not even sure I am taking my precepts even if I plan on taking part in the jukai study and am actually supremely excitable in regards to the upcoming ango."

_/_ evad
    You are not alone in this feeling.

I took refuge with a Tibetan lama nearly a year ago, as well as received my Bodhisattva vows. The odd thing to me however is how casual it all seemed. I had read of others experiences with the refuge ceremony as well as with the Bodhisattva vows and this was NOTHING like it. Maybe it's simply that the true vow has nothing to do with the pomp and circumstance and it is only that I had a preconceived idea of what I thought it would be.

With that said however, as I reflect upon this commitment, I can see that although I may technically be considered a “Bona Fide Official Buddhist" (to use the words of Jundo) already, I feel as if I want to further my commitment to something more direct or specific. It's funny to me as well because I am someone who "has issues" with authority, formality, and ceremony, due to (perhaps) my attachment to previous religious experience, yet at the same time I am drawn to it and want to be a part of it. Perhaps it's because, to me, with the Jukai ceremony, it does not feel empty to me as other ridiculous (impo) religious ceremonies I have been involved with before.

I have serious commitment issues in my life it seems (committing to (insert anything), following through with said commitments, etc, etc.) yet the one thing that I have felt the most drive to commit to and honor is the Dharma, and specifically along the Zen path. That to me says something. My actions don't always match that of my heart, but I'm working to have those line up more evenly.

_/_ evad
    Hey, it ain't fattening, won't cause cancer, it's way low cholesteral - so what's the problem anyway, IMHO hope you enjoy it while it lasts.

cheers,
    rowan

mindfulshrink

_/_ evad
    All the time! :lol:

I just finished my rakusu for jukai in August at Upaya. It had to be the most obsessive thing I've done - suits my nature. :roll:

As for burmese position: when I first sat with a sangha, most folks knew I am Burmese so every time the group leader gave instructions on the burmese style to a new member, everyone would laugh because there I sat with my knees up at my ears! ops:

It's terrific to have a space to practice in. We no longer have a living room/dining room. It's the home zendo. I just love it around this time of day when the sun floods in and makes the pine floors glow. At about 3 PM, the sun glances off the little red glass piece embedded in the wood buddha on the altar.

hmmm... if I go and sit now... :!:

Ly

Nathan_Anderson

I wish I could take the jukai this time around, but I'll be spending 9 weeks down in GA for Basic Training. Best of luck to you all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Anderson
    I wish I could take the jukai this time around, but I'll be spending 9 weeks down in GA for Basic Training. Best of luck to you all though.
    Basic Training is a monastic experience ... in camouflage, with live fire practice.

Stay safe. Stay in touch when and as you can. I will add a hope for your well being in the dedication for our August Zazenkai.

We have more than one Sangha member who is a Buddhist in the military. You are offering your time and efforts, and putting yourself at risk, for the public good, in order to keep millions of people safe. So long as you are doing so, in my view, you are in keeping with the Precepts ... and that is the heart of Jukai.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - For those in our Sangha who do not know, we did have wide discussion in preparation for our last Jukai regarding Buddhists in the military ... and I am sure the subject will come up again for our next Jukai. It is a subject where life, and the Precepts, provide few clear answers ... and also perhaps no greater example of being willing to give of oneself for the protection of others.

mindfulshrink

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Basic Training is a monastic experience ... in camouflage, with live fire practice.

We have more than one Sangha member who is a Buddhist in the military. You are offering your time and efforts, and putting yourself at risk, for the public good, in order to keep millions of people safe. So long as you are doing so, in my view, you are in keeping with the Precepts ... and that is the heart of Jukai.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - For those in our Sangha who do not know, we did have wide discussion in preparation for our last Jukai regarding Buddhists in the military ... and I am sure the subject will come up again for our next Jukai. It is a subject where life, and the Precepts, provide few clear answers ... and also perhaps no greater example of being willing to give of oneself for the protection of others.
    Dear Jundo,

Thank you for this information. I work with both military and police services as a psychologist and struggle with the many precepts issues that arise given my role. It will be very helpful to learn how to negotiate through these dilemma without compromising the intent of the precepts. Sometimes I think I'm just trying to find a convenient interpretation; yet I also feel strongly about what I do as my livelihood.

gassho,
    Ly

I would like to take refuge and to receive jukai.

All of my life I too have shirked "commitment" on things that truly matter. The Precepts matter, and it's time for my spoken (and unspoken) vow to keep them!

- Gassho -

Linda W

Definitely good to hear others chime in on this one. I think my main thing about jukai is that I'm used to deciding for myself what I feel or how I interpret anything spiritual. So in joining a particular faith there's certain things that one has to accept ( or at least should), otherwise what's the point?

Dave

Dking

I just recently joined the zendo and would have loved to be a part of the jukai ceremony but I am deploying to Kuwait for 5 months and will not be able to get away. I will continue to keep in touch with the sangha as often as I can. Leaving for 5 months was one of the reason's for my finally joining Treeleaf.

gassho,
    david

Nice to have ya with us either way, David. : )

Dave

I have to get in line with Dave. Commitment can be scary. And since I tend to have so little time to myself, I've noticed a rising trend of selfishness in my life which scares me more. I believe that dedicating the time to participate in Jukai and Ango, for me, will help to provide a wonderful and much needed antidote.
    Gassho,
    T

And welcome David

Quote Originally Posted by Dking
    I just recently joined the zendo and would have loved to be a part of the jukai ceremony but I am deploying to Kuwait for 5 months and will not be able to get away. I will continue to keep in touch with the sangha as often as I can. Leaving for 5 months was one of the reason's for my finally joining Treeleaf.

gassho,
    david

Greetings Dave,

The Jukai ceremony is completely on-line but most people participated live (that is, we were all watching participating at the same time) however, Jundo is happy to make arrangements if people need to do the ceremony at a different time/day. Jundo is very flexible about these things. So if you woulld like to receive Jukai with Treeleaf this time, it can be worked out.

gassho,
    rowan/jinho

Definitely good to hear others chime in on this one. I think my main thing about jukai is that I'm used to deciding for myself what I feel or how I interpret anything spiritual. So in joining a particular faith there's certain things that one has to accept ( or at least should), otherwise what's the point?

Dave
    Hi Dave,

My experience at Treeleaf (and other zen sanghas) is that one is very much encouraged to decide for oneself. The preparation for Jukai specifically involves alot of discussion and thought about each precept so each person comes to a personal understanding (very much NOT an understanding from someone else, although one may choose to agree with and adopt an understanding expressed by one of the writers we will read in the required and suggested readings). In last year's discussion there were many different interpretations/applications expressed by the sangha members.

Anyway, I guess I am trying to say that, IMHO, zen is NOT about blindly accepting someone else's supposed orthodoxy.

thank you for your time,
    Jinho

I just wanted to add a "DITTO" to everything Jinho said in the last two posts.

i just want to say that rowan explain it perfectly it is very individual for every one.

one of my favorite quotes is

" Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. " - Buddha.

Gassho, Dojin.