Thread: Jukai and the Rakusu

Jukai and the Rakusu

Hi everyone, good to see you again.

I've got a few questions for anyone who knows the answer. Are we going to do a Jukai ceremony this year? The reason I'm asking is because if we are I'd like to sew my Rakusu over the summer break, so its done and I won't have to sew during school. This of course allowing me more time to study and do homework. Ah the joys of college.

Also does the colour of the Rakusu matter? I read through most of the posts on sewing and couldn't find and answer.

Thanks for the help everyone. And thanks for just being.

Gassho

Will Dover

P.S. Remind me to post about Samu and the art of cleaning a popcorn machine.

Re: Jukai and the Rakusu

Hi,

Yes, we will be preparing for the Jukai this year, as we did last year. If, by the end of the preparations, you feel comfortable with this Soto tradition, the Buddhist teachings and our Sangha, you are more than welcome to undertake Jukai.

Rev. Taigu is the Rakusu Answer man, but I see no problem myself in taking time over the summer to sew ... if you really will not have time later.

I will await, however, final word from Taigu, as he is in charge of that.

If you really read closely, you will find the answers to most of your Rakusu questions on this sewing "thread thread" ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1152

Gassho, J

Good question Will….Not to be a bother, but I too will have some time over the summer. I most likely will not undertake the sewing as I am not sure of my internet access. Nevertheless, I would like to do some of the readings. It would be nice to read once and then once again in preparation for Jukai.

Jundo…will we be reading “The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics” by Robert Aitken? Or will the readings be different from last year?

Gassho,
    BrianW

Hey Will,

The only thing I'd add from my perspective is that a big part of making my rakusu was doing it at the same time as all the other folks while doing our reading and discussion, but you can still post on the forum like we did and I have no doubt you'll have plenty of responses whatever the time of year. And of course since there is no here or there, now or then, we will all still be sewing together.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Jundo

I thank you for your understanding of the situation. This fall will be my first semester of full time college and Im not sure how much of free time my schooling will take. I would rather take me time sewing now than be stressed by both needing to sew and school work building up. Of course Rev. Taigu has the final say on the sewing matter.

I will of course be part of the preparations for Jukai regardless if I sew now or later.
    Thank you all for the help and thank you again Jundo.

Deep Gassho
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW
    Jundo…will we be reading “The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics” by Robert Aitken? Or will the readings be different from last year?
    It likely will be the same materials, although not decided yet (I am looking at Daido Loori's "The Heart of Being" as the book this time).

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Being-Teach ... 0804830789

I will know in a few weeks.

Yes, it is best if we all sew together at the same time, as we support each other. Our "sewing circle" is a circle unbroken, like a Rakusu ring. But if that is not possible, and someone really has a very good reason (like the first year of college!), well, we can all support each other together at the same time which is a different time.

Sewing is an important part of the practice ... stitch by stitch. I think the comments of many of our sewers here show what that means. Putting all our heart into each perfectly never perfectly stitch. For that reasons, the few cases where someone has purchased a Rakusu for our previous Jukai have involved a true emergency or very special extenuating circumstances. No shortcuts.

If folks have already sewn their Rakusu however, and want to "re-undertake" Jukai (no limit on Jukai, or taking Jukai with different Sangha), they do not need to sew another ... although they certainly can if they wish. Re-studying the Precepts materials, however, is suggested.

But I am sure Taigu will have more to say on all this.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    BrianW wrote:Jundo…will we be reading “The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics” by Robert Aitken? Or will the readings be different from last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    It likely will be the same materials, although not decided yet (I am looking at Daido Loori's "The Heart of Being" as the book this time).
    Jundo,

Thanks for the info....I may just pick up "The Mind of Clover" and if you decide to switch to "The Heart of Being" no problem....never hurts to read a bit more than required.

Gassho,
    BrianW

Indeed, Jundo, and sorry for being a bit discrete the last few days, 13 hours of hard work, 4 hours of commuting and 5 hours of sleep...every day. No time to live but plenty to practice in the market place.

Yes, sewing is very important. It is important to experience the joy and difficulties and face emotions in this process. Everybody can sew, if you want to receive Jukai, you should be able to make that great gift. Thinking there is a shortcut is already an interesting sign, it makes the voice of the ego loud and clear. Tell the ego it is okay and get on with it. Simple as that. Don't even start a conversation with the guy, DO IT. As you would just dive into a beautiful pool. Do you think young children think and debate before they stand on their wobely legs to take their first steps? They do it. Fall and do it again. That is Zen, it is our tradition but it is life too. And guess what, receiving Jukai, you are nothing but child learning to walk.

Enjoy!

gassho

Taigu

Padre, pull the trigger on your head, and there is no win here, much to loose actually.

(I love your last post about your boss, great stuff, thank you!)

Gassho

Taigu

Thank you Padre. What I wanted to say is that our path is about loosing, and loosing again. That's why there is no win.

Enjoy the books, anyway!

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    What I wanted to say is that our path is about loosing, and loosing again. That's why there is no win.
    Hi.

Can there be "losing" without "winning"?

Mtfbwy
    Tb

Fugen,

Indeed. No gain without loos, no loss without gain. Saying that a book can be a win is another story. A book about the Dharma is an invitation to give up our opinions and beliefs not to get new ones. That is all I meant without having philosophy in mind.

Gassho

Taigu

Fugen,

Indeed. No gain without loos, no loss without gain. Saying that a book can be a win is another story. A book about the Dharma is an invitation to give up our opinions and beliefs not to get new ones. That is all I meant without having philosophy in mind.

Gassho

Taigu
    Hi.

That's another topic, there's always the old "win-win situation"...
    But dont separate in hot and cold as some old bugger always says...

Mtfbwy
    Tb

Thank you for your patience. Padre, I think I have got it. Enjoy the books.

gassho

Taigu

Okay, Fugen, you apparently enjoy winning and... nitpicking . I care less and less about it (I still do sometimes :wink: ). Thank you anyway for being patient with me.
    Enjoy your day.

gassho

Taigu

Okay, Fugen, you apparently enjoy winning and... nitpicking . I care less and less about it (I still do sometimes :wink: ). Thank you anyway for being patient with me.
    Enjoy your day.

gassho

Taigu
    I know you guys are just joking with one another, but it reminds me of something that happened at work a couple of years ago. I was in the talking to the secretary for our department when another colleague (one who is often moody and difficult) came into remind the secretary of what she thought her job should be. The secretary took it in stride and the colleague left. I commented that I might not have been able to hold my tongue like that and the secretary said, "I don't have to be right all the time anymore." It really left an impression on me because it struck me how much more mature that approach is. Not being right all the time. There are times to stick to your guns and there are times to let things roll off your back. Anyway, seemed relevant to internet forums in general.

Peace,
    Bill

Thank you Eika, it is a very relevant point. As human beings we are sometimes not right. As parents, peers, friends or teachers as well. An internet forum is a very strange field, we all know how great, inspirational and also dangerous it can be. For words are understood in so may different ways by people. And we are lacking some important channels of communication sometimes.We try to relate to each other in a balanced way, and truly, I don't want to be unpleasant to people, if I am, I always apologize. And I think everybody here does. As a young sitter I used to be so offensive and extremely sharp, so I meet this quality in people, I tend to ask for a bit more flexibility. Yes, we all learn to say thank you, to drop the funny pokes and jokes to just be exposed, as it is. Not easy.
    At the same time, humour is a great way to make a point, to convey something that somebody could not take otherwise. I appreciate people's humour sometimes, they help me to see something which I would not be ready to see. And there is also another issue, let me tell you a story: once in a training period where I was in charge, somebody came to me during a public mondo ( question and answer between students and teacher) to ask a question: my answer was so direct, so strong that everybody witnessing the scene thought I was over the top, on the verge of being a bit abusive. Everybody felt so... exept the very person that asked the question, he felt really met and was so deeply touch ( as I was) by our verbal exchange. So when one is outside, one doesn t always understand what is going on. As a matter of fact, the cuddly bear has now pretty much given up that style because there are so many other ways to relate to other people, humour being one of them.
    Writing, behaving, relating and teaching with as much respect as possible is very important, but sometimes too much political correctness can lead to a very dry communication where nothing happens, you should attend a business meeting of Japanese people, nothing is discussed, no disagreement, everything is smooth because everything has been decided before and nobody is risking to loose face. This kind of meeting looks like a joke to us. And there is very little humour. At least here, things and people are very alive in their difference. Wonder!