Thread: Questions for a buddhist...

Questions for a buddhist...

Hi.

've been asked by a student to answer a couple of questions, and i thought i should post them here.

1. Whats the differnece (do you think ) in being a Budhist in sweden and a country Where the religion is "bigger"?

2. Do you meditate? How does meditation work?

3. Do you know a lot of Buddhists?

4. How does a regular day look for you?

5. According to the Buddhist doctrine, you should avoid drugs and such. How does that work for you?

6. Do you visit temples regularly? How does it look there? What do you do in temples?

7. Is your family Buddhists?

8. Do you celebrate any holidays? If you do, How?

9. According to the Buddhist doctrine, you should not kill. Does that mean you have to be an vegetarian? If so, how does that work for you?

10. Do you try to follow all the "rules" in the Buddhist doctrine? If so, How does that work for you?

11. Buddhist struggles to attain nirvana. Many find it weird that buddhists want to disappear insted of live on. How do you, as a Buddhist, view nirvana?

12. How do you find living as a Buddhist in Sweden? Is there any difficulties associated with it?

Please write your thoughts on the questions.

Mtfbwy
    Tb

Re: Questions for a buddhist...

1. Whats the differnece (do you think ) in being a Budhist in sweden and a country Where the religion is "bigger"?

- Don't know. Don't live in Sweden.

-Sit.

-No.

- Round. Square, and sometimes puce.

5. According to the Buddhist doctrine, you should avoid drugs and such. How does that work for you?

- Usually. It works alright.

6. Do you visit temples regularly? How does it look there? What do you do in temples?

- No. The ones I've been to look like temples. walk around and say "Hey. Look at that!."

- No.

- Not really. Sometimes I guess. Buddha birthday maybe. Sit.

9. According to the Buddhist doctrine, you should not kill. Does that mean you have to be an vegetarian? If so, how does that work for you?

- You don't have to kill to eat meat, but I'm usually veggie. It works alright.

10. Do you try to follow all the "rules" in the Buddhist doctrine? If so, How does that work for you?

- Usually. Again, it's working alrighty, ok, super.

11. Buddhist struggles to attain nirvana. Many find it weird that buddhists want to disappear insted of live on. How do you, as a Buddhist, view nirvana?

- Do they? How do they disappear? That sounds cool. Nirvana is a band that was around in the 90's.

12. How do you find living as a Buddhist in Sweden? Is there any difficulties associated with it?

- Question 1

Please write your thoughts on the questions.

- Good.

W

Tweaking for the RGV., :wink:

1. Whats the differnece (do you think ) in being a Budhist in Texas and a country Where the religion is "bigger"?

Short answer: There is more of them! :P

A more serious short answer: Institutionalization of Buddhism with more venues and more historical and cultural roots as opposed working with what is available. In some cases, like let's say Austin, Texas, is quite good or in my area it is very limited.

Yes.
    Sit and find out.

I know Buddhists.

Like everybody's. The trick is to wake up in the morning.

FWIW, I don't need Buddhist doctrine to tell me drugs will harm my body and mind.

No temples where I live. Every week, I take part in our local meditation community.
    Sit.

No. My wife is Catholic and my immediate family is non-religious / Humanist.
    But. My wife can out zen most zennies. :mrgreen:

Sure. Like everybody else, rest.

I am not a vegetarian, but I am mindful or work on being mindful of where my food comes from.

I am not a monk, so I don't get too worked up about the vinaya rules.

Buddhist don't seek disappearance. I don't view nirvana. I still do listen to Nirvana, though. :P

12. How do you find living as a Buddhist in Texas? Is there any difficulties associated with it?

The only difficulty is not having a sangha or a Zen group nearby with a teacher and limited Buddhist resources. But. You do with what you have at hand.............and sit.

1. Whats the difference (do you think ) in being a Budhist in New Brunsiwck, Canada, and a country Where the religion is "bigger"?

quantity of practitioners
    other wise can't be sure.

yes. just fine. Just sit.

yes.

good.

I rather avoid sticking to doctrine that dictates. Find moderation.

Yes its in my bedroom. very yellow. Sitting, chanting, bowing, smilling, crying - basically living.

no, but most often more so than I!

Yes, As is customary for said holiday.

I am a vegetarian before i became a Buddhist. I do not believe you HAVE to be a vegetarian to be a Buddhist. Killing includes much more than just what you eat. I drive a car that kills many, I eat food that was farmed that kills many, I exist. that kills many. I think you need to be aware of your doings including diet and just how we affect the world around us. just like any other dietary choice.

Try, Yes, how does that work for you?!

11. Buddhist struggles to attain nirvana. Many find it weird that Buddhists want to disappear instead of live on. How do you, as a Buddhist, view nirvana?

here and now but its no struggle as there is nothing to attain. of course there is plenty of struggle and lots to work out.

12. How do you find living as a Buddhist in New Brunswick Canada? Is there any difficulties associated with it?

fine mostly, difficulties are lack of temples or such to practice. But practice can be done and I have a sangha that i practice with and teachers and the like. So replace difficulties with challenges. Such is practice. Sometimes you have to take a step out and meet that challenge by actually doing.

My thoughts on the questions:
    The questions sound like questions from a cousin or someone, whom i had told the week before that I was a buddhist, and they just finished googling it up. Pretty much that i have encountered them at some junction in my practice.

Gassho, Shohei

A person possessing myriad answers to all those questions would still not know what its like to be a Buddhist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    A person possessing myriad answers to all those questions would still not know what its like to be a Buddhist.
    Hi.

But it would show a myriad answers to those questions.

Mtfbwy
    Tb