Thread: My Great Realization

My Great Realization

These are the Great Things I realized today:

The peony blossom says yes to everything. Grass derives the most joy from being played upon. The strong nuclear force exhibited by individual itty-bitty atoms is the only thing preventing me from walking through walls. Common sense and religion will always be at odds. The mightiest tree, when seen from a great height, is just another plant. I will never meet the most reclusive person in the world. If I was a fish in the ocean and I got a paper cut, it would hurt like hell all the time. Lucky Charms is sugar-coated superstition in a box. Laughter is the whole point of everything.

When you finally get your enlightenment, you wake up inside your own head, facing a blank wall upon which is written "You Are Here."

But that's just me. Gassho.

Re: My Great Realization

If I was a fish in the ocean and I got a paper cut, it would hurt like hell all the time.
    You Ah makin me Ah laugh Ah.

And here's another one to add to the pile:

The realization that after realizing the most profound realization, we continue to realize realization.

It's like the whole world stops, and each thing manifests itself as Buddhadharma. There is great light, and the universe speaks through a single blade of grass...

Then the teacher walks up, smacks us on the back of the head (politely) and says "Hey! The floor isn't going to clean itself you know!"

W

Thank you. Some real goodies in there. Gassho, J

Hi.

_/_

Mtfbwy
    Tb

The realization that after realizing the most profound realization, we continue to realize realization.
    Every realization is the most profound of all, which is what makes it possible to continue realizing :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    ..., you wake up inside your own head, facing a blank wall upon which is written "You Are Here."
    That is a nice picture.

Beware of common sense.

Bevare. Bevaaaarrre. :shock:

Stepping out of the way of an oncoming truck is common sense.

Lavender, armpit and exhaust fumes are common scents.

Nickels, pesos and Euros are common cents.

The problem with common sense or "common sense" is that it used to justify actions or beliefs even when those actions and beliefs have no base at all. "Oh. You know. (group of people be it by ethnicity, gender, take your pick) are just (take your pick of common sense statement). That's why they are where they are. I mean, it's common sense!"

Of course, in another level, folks used to believe that it was common sense that the world was flat, tomatos were poisonous, Darwin was crazy I ain't no monkey's uncle, and a sort of many common sense things.

I said beware of "common sense", not kill whatever common sense maybe.

Stepping out of the way of an oncoming truck is common sense.
    And if the only way to save a child is to step in from of an oncoming truck, where is common sense?

As many Zen teachers have said: "It cannot be grasped with the intellect."

We live in a very small box. That box could never hold the real us. When the box opens, this is Zen.

Let me give you a gift. Actually there is no gift I could give you.

Don't play games.

Gassho

Tobiah: Thanks for your list of realizations. They made a great addition to my day.

Erik, I can't tell if I've offended you, or if we're just on different pages... my quips about common sense/scents/cents was just being facetious, I guess. Actually there is no such thing as common sense. Its all objective, and what a majority population agrees upon as common is really just whatever is in fashion and has not been disproved... and anyway, how did we get on the subject of common sense in the first place?

My original post was supposed to be playful. I think I was the village idiot in a past life. Gassho.

Quote Originally Posted by will
    It's like the whole world stops, and each thing manifests itself as Buddhadharma. There is great light, and the universe speaks through a single blade of grass...

Then the teacher walks up, smacks us on the back of the head (politely) and says "Hey! The floor isn't going to clean itself you know!"

W
    I really like that this image, especially the teacher asking you to clean the floor. One can't forget the present, thinking about how rad the universe is.

Gassho,

The other

Will

Grass derives the most joy from being played upon.
    Here, here!

Know the feeling.

Sylvia
    Atlanta

Yesterday I realized that

Everything is vitally important
    And nothing matters.

also,

The cockroach is also a supreme being.

States of mind appear and disappear
    And can not be relied upon.
    Life and death appears and disappears
    And cannot be relied upon.

Yesterday I realized that

Everything is vitally important
    And nothing matters.

also,

The cockroach is also a supreme being.
    With that being said:
    My morning started late.
    Time for Zazen.
    Stomach is grumbling.

Gassho

W

Wet paper wouldn't really cut, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by spinpsychle
    that's a varnish-impregnated enameled paper made in a secret laboratory in Sweden from the washed-ashore shells of blue crabs and a very rare starch distilled from an endangered plant in Siberia, said paper manufactured in extremely small batches with superior quality-control monitored by a room full of computers in Richmond, Virginia, underground of course, (disguised, incidentally, above ground as a public fountain), all this accomplished in extreme secrecy and guarded by the finest of security systems derived from captured alien technology, for the express purpose of giving paper cuts to unsuspecting fish.

I of course abhor the whole enterprise and wish I had had the forethought earlier in life to go to law school so I could file mountains of lawsuits against those bastards in Sweden on behalf of all the fish swimming around in chronic pain.

As for regular paper, no of course not. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by spinpsychle
    that's a varnish-impregnated enameled paper made in a secret laboratory in Sweden from the washed-ashore shells of blue crabs and a very rare starch distilled from an endangered plant in Siberia, said paper manufactured in extremely small batches with superior quality-control monitored by a room full of computers in Richmond, Virginia, underground of course, (disguised, incidentally, above ground as a public fountain), all this accomplished in extreme secrecy and guarded by the finest of security systems derived from captured alien technology, for the express purpose of giving paper cuts to unsuspecting fish.

I of course abhor the whole enterprise and wish I had had the forethought earlier in life to go to law school so I could file mountains of lawsuits against those bastards in Sweden on behalf of all the fish swimming around in chronic pain.

As for regular paper, no of course not. :wink:
    MWHAHAHAHA!! that was a laugh much needed! Sounds a lot like a simpson's plot.

Thanks for the whole thread!

Gassho, Shohei