Here was my Koan this morning:

To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
To attain enlightenment, a way non attainable.

First things first. You may have noticed I left one out the delusions part. Well, whatcha gonna do? I'm not perfect. However, that was my koan.

Now why does it say: numberless, boundless, non attainable?
We may think these words mean something like: "We must go out and push the Dharma on the unsuspecting. We must preach it. Hold on to it. It is the truth."

Well, in fact, these words mean nothing. They have no meaning. They are there that is all. We say them without expectation.

I just spent 20 minutes looking for a Bodhidharma quote. Couldn't find it.

Here are a couple others:

Bodhidharma
Worship means reverence and humility. It means revering your real self and humbling delusions. If you can wipe out evil desires and harbor good thoughts, even if nothing shows, it's worship. Such form is its real form.
Not thinking about anything is zen. Once you know this, walking, standing, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is zen. To know that the mind is empty is to see the buddha… Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Not using the mind to look for reality is awareness. Freeing oneself from words is liberation.
Shunryu Suzuki

So we should live like human beings in this world. We should not try to live like cats and dogs, who have more freedom and are less selfish. Human beings should be put into a cage, a big invisible cage like religion or morality.
When we read the Suzuki quote we might think it is something out side ourself like: "We practice 'Religion'. But it far more than that. It is activity. The activity of BuddhaDharma.

I have to go to class now.

Later

Gassho

Will