Thread: Practice and Such

Practice and Such

Posted a lot yesterday. This will be my last post for today (I think).

W

Zazen is central to this practice. We take that Zazen into every moment.

I've mentioned before "Study the self". But what exactly does that mean?

It means noticing your habits kind of. Noticing how you might get an urge to do something, and just coming back to Zazen. That's an important point.

However, it takes practice. It takes time to sit a notice this stuff. As practice progresses, you learn more about yourself, and you find that you start to be in the moment a little more. Your not thinking so much, and taking things so personally. Because really, there is no one to take personally.

So, a sense of humor is definitely important. The ability to laugh at yourself (I think this should have been a precept). If we can laugh at ourselves and not take things too seriously, we lose a lot of the baggage that we carry around, and laughter never hurt anyone (that I know of).
    WE JUST TAKE THINGS SO SERIOUSLY!!!!

That doesn't mean that we should run around acting insane, but it does mean being sane and recognizing that sometimes you can be insane. It doesn't mean running around with underwear on your head (unless you really want to). It's not taking it too far. The middle way. Understanding. Wisdom.

Zazen is dignified. It's true nature. It is to be respected. When you really see Zazen, then you'll just know that this practice is it. And you know that everyone is Buddha, and that's why we bow.

Sometimes we bow to the universe, but that seems fluffy to me (pardon Jundo). We gassho each other, because we know. We have respect for other Buddhas. We don't use people anymore, they become enlightened. They have something to offer, as do you.

Zazen is not talking about what book you prefer, or how the Dalai Lama is such a great guy. It is a practice to discover "you".

OK.

Later Gator

Gassho

Myoshin

Re: Practice and Such

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Kyle

Hey, thank you Will. A lovely way to finish the day ...

Wonderfully said Will!

Gassho, Shohei

I seem to be saying this a lot lately...thank you Will.

Gassho,
    Dosho

After 'while, crocodile

gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hey, thank you Will. A lovely way to finish the day ...
    Just saw it this morning Will, the first post I read and just before meditation - a lovely way to start the day! Thanks.

With Gasshos ( not too fluffy :wink: )

Hello all,

Beautiful reminder Will, thank you!

Gassho,
    Kelly (JInmei)

Hi,

Thank you for the post. Are you quoting your own words? (just curious).

I have a different interpretation of "to study the self". For it it is that the self is the most basic koan and that our sitting, if it is "right here, right now", is the manifestation of that koan. It is only a koan because I don't understand the self (or, better said, my Self) yet.

gassho,
    rowan

It is only a koan because I don't understand the self (or, better said, my Self) yet.
    And that is Koan that is carried throughout Zazen (to an extent).

Yes. I wrote those words.

Ok. Alright. Even though we are all beginners, some of us are more convinced than others by everything that is impermanent. Some people depreciate themselves in awful desperation. Some harm others. Some are afraid of each moment of the day, and night.

As a beginner in that sense, where would you first begin to look?

And as for the "your experience is not my experience thing". There is commonality that is found throughout. It's all found in the big pie. So, what relates to you, very well relates to me, but perhaps not in the way that you may think. We don't live in separate bubbles. So, some things are different from case to case, but the core is the same. This is why you have all those people sitting on their asses in Zendos. To make a quote: "Zazen is the most intimate thing you can do with someone."

Anyway, some of us are really caught up in stuff, and actually taking a look at how you react, and study the self, is a good starting point, and that continues until we have a moment where self drops away. Doesn't mean we don't have to get back on the Zafu again.

Zen has all kinds of practices when one starts out sitting ie. counting breath, snapping Mala beads, wooden clappers, and so on.

When I laugh with my friend or student, sometimes that laughter is not only me or only them. It's us, together. Just laughing.

Gassho Rowan

Will

Quote Originally Posted by will

As a beginner in that sense, where would you first begin to look?

Gassho Rowan

Will
    Looking is not the best technique, in my experience.

And I am not such a beginner as you might suppose.......

gassho,
    rowan/jinho

I didn't say you were. I was just pointing out that we should remember to put ourselves in the shoes of others now and then (when we can).

Looking is not the best technique, in my experience.
    Well...sometimes we look and sometimes we just let it all go. Of course, one can not look or let go without STUDYING THE SELF! It's not dead sitting all the time(I'm sure you know).

Ok. Done. My foot is getting closer to my mouth, and I think I should stop it before it gets any ideas.

Gassho

Looking probably isn't the best word. Noticing might be more suiting. It depends.

Gassho

(to borrow from Chet IANAT)

Quote Originally Posted by will
    I didn't say you were. I was just pointing out that we should remember to put ourselves in the shoes of others now and then (when we can).
    In my life, whenever I try to put myself in someone else's shoes all I have ended up with totally misunderstanding that other person's experience. Ah, well. I am a firm believer for myself in asking someone so as to be closer to understanding their reality.

cheers,
    rowan

RDavid

It's the difference between learning by writing and learning by listening. Either way, you're learning.

Thanks for the post, Will.

disastermouse

What is the self? When I look, I realize I have no idea what I'm referring to.

Chet

From what I'm told, and it could be misquoted, it's a guy and large clown outfit pacing back and forth.

W

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Chet
    This is exactly what I'm talking about in the thread where I was stoned!

"What is the self?" is a central question in Soto practice. However, we don't find out only through intellectual means. It is more of a discovery.

Gassho

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Chet
    This is exactly what I'm talking about in the thread where I was stoned!
    Pith.

Chet

Pith.
    is that a lisping urination or the fibrous center of a fleshy fruit :?: