Thread: What happens...

What happens...

What happens to the world when it is looked at?

Re: What happens...

Sometimes it's clear and bright.

W

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    What happens to the world when it is looked at?
    That's easy to see. What's harder to know is what happens when the world ISN'T looked at.

Just ask Schrodinger.

Chet

That's easy to see. What's harder to know is what happens when the world ISN'T looked at.
    Isn't the one relative to the other?

Just ask Schrodinger.
    I have the box, (eBay), and the cat is still in there. Very quiet, though. :roll:

the world sees itself

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah
    Isn't the one relative to the other?

Just ask Schrodinger.
    I have the box, (eBay), and the cat is still in there. Very quiet, though. :roll:
    LOL!

What do you get when you cross Schrodinger's dead cat with Master Nansen's dead cat?

Living or dead? One or two?

Nansen saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a baby cat. He seized the cat and said, "If (any of) you can say (a word of Zen), you can spare the cat. Otherwise I will kill it." No one could answer. So Nansen cut the cat in two .

That evening Joshu returned and Nansen told him what had happened. Joshu thereupon took off his sandals and, placing them on his head, walked away. Nansen said, "If only you had been there, you could have saved the cat."

Mumon's Comment:
    Why did Joshu put his sandals on his head? If you can answer this question with one word, you understand Nansen's efforts. If not, you are utterly in danger.

Had Joshu been there,
    The opposite would have been done.
    Joshu would have snatched the knife,
    And Nansen would have begged for his life.

Centuries ago, the leading thinkers of all things thought surmised that every physical object (all things seen) gave off wispy ephemeral skins of themselves, which entered the eye and thereby told the person "receiving" the sight what it was they were seeing. Then, decades later, they gave that idea up and adopted the theory that our eyes shot darts of energy at things, which bounced off them and returned to the eye, bringing with them impressions of what they touched. This was followed by a series of ideas that came closer and closer to what many now consider to be the true nature of sight: that light is completely responsible, that it bounces off things and enters our pupils purely by chance, that whatever we happen to turn our eyes toward is revealed by the pure accident of geometry and the particle/wave nature of light.

Many people don't realize that when they look at something that is brown, their retina doesn't see 'brown.' The context of colors are taken into account by our brains when interpretations are made. The same goes for olive drab.

Some tribes in remote countries have only three or four words for different colors.

How we see the world dictates to some extent how we act in the world. We are a sight-oriented species. Blindness is very often overcome to some extent by the heightening of other senses.

Something happens to the world when we look at it. I know this because something happens when we look at ourselves.

Gassho

eye sense, ear sense, nose sense, touch sense etc.

And now that we have discovered the reason why things are seen the way they are seen, can we see now? Even before we understood the workings of the eye, people saw. Those who did not take a side of whether or not this is the cause of seeing, saw. See? Somehow we conclude that there's a world out there, but really it's created through what we can actually experience. When things are experienced how they are, it leaves no place for an "I" to exist. There's no reference point.

We see this thing, say an apple, and we continue to think "Hey I'm eating an apple. This is an apple. It must be. It has to be. I mean I was told it was an apple. But if we just taste the apple and eat it, it is just this. No apple. Just the taste, smell, texture etc.

But knowing about the eye through research, might benefit others and give them the opportunity to experience sights as well.

From Genjo Koan:
    When you see forms or hear sounds fully engaging body-and-mind, you grasp things directly.

Though there are many features in the dusty world and the world beyond conditions, you see and understand only what your eye of practice can reach.
    Gassho