Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: home altar

Very nice, Kyotai. Nice and simple can't be beat!

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday

Joyo
    Kyotai, Dainin, both of you have a very nice and simple alter. I am a minimalist also so I can appreciate the same style =)

gassho
    Joyo
    sat today

Kyotai
    Thank you, I would like to get a Buddha at some point...maybe for my own 10th anniversary at Trealeaf

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    OK, so you inspired me to clean the basement enough to post my zazen spot. Nothing special

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

There is no up down right left inside outside horizontal vertical, rightways or sideways, minimal or excess in Buddha ... and yet there's all of those too.

Thank you for the sideways sitting.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-04-2016 at 02:30 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Kyotai

Kyotai,

ST

I've been enjoying looking at everyone else's altars and thought Id share mine
    A close up followed by its context within the room.
    I have two altars, one I sit in front and either chant, recite liturgy or just read Budddhist texts/books in front of. This is harking back to my 'Tibetan' and Vajrayana days'.
    The more basic altar and the more 'Zen' like, is where I do Zazen, I call this room the Zendo, my wife always corrects me and states "it's the spare room where I happen to meditate."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/510720...n/photostream/

Gassho
    Kazashimo ~~sat today~~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kyotai
    Nice Kazashim. I like the wooden enso.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    Nice Kazashim. I like the wooden enso.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST
    Gassho

Kazashimo ~~sat today~~

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by kazashimo View Post
    I've been enjoying looking at everyone else's altars and thought Id share mine
    A close up followed by its context within the room.
    I have two altars, one I sit in front and either chant, recite liturgy or just read Budddhist texts/books in front of. This is harking back to my 'Tibetan' and Vajrayana days'.
    The more basic altar and the more 'Zen' like, is where I do Zazen, I call this room the Zendo, my wife always corrects me and states "it's the spare room where I happen to meditate."

Gassho
    Kazashimo ~~sat today~~
    Looks like a wonderful room to just be, thank you for sharing Kazashimo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Beautiful space, Kazashimo.

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday

Wow, Kazashimo, that is beautiful and inspiring!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Eishuu
    Beautiful shrines, Kazashimo.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

My wife very kindly bought me this statue for an early Fathers Day present along with the incense. I have added a stone my son gave me when he was a toddler, some sand my daughter got me from the Isle of Wight and a small bowl of water.

Gassho
    Mart

Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Martpr72 View Post

My wife very kindly bought me this statue for an early Fathers Day present along with the incense. I have added a stone my son gave me when he was a toddler, some sand my daughter got me from the Isle of Wight and a small bowl of water.

Gassho
    Mart

Sat2Day

It's Perfect

Kyotai
    Will sit

Beautiful altars Kazashimo and Mart!
    Thanks for sharing.

Gassho
    Mike
    Sat2day

altar1.jpgaltar2.jpg

I enjoyed looking at all the photos on this thread so much that I wanted to share mine too!~
    Since I live in a dorm, fire and candles are not allowed

so instead, I got a rock salt lamp for my altar
    but then they confiscated it, saying that that too was a fire hazard...so I had to take the lamp part out
    so now it's just nothing more than a large rock...a large rock that sometimes "leaks" and forms puddles on my desk on particularly humid days

now the Buddha statue itself I think may actually be an Amida Buddha rather than a Shakyamuni Buddha, just based on the hands, but it's whatever I guess

He sits on a simple cardboard box that I filled with folded handwritten copies of various short texts and verses, such as the Heart Sutra and what not.

and next to him is just a simple white orchid flower.

And that's about it for my simple desk altar I guess~

Gassho
    Andy🐐🌱
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by goat-sprouts View Post
    but then they confiscated it, saying that that too was a fire hazard...so I had to take the lamp part out
    Looks like it is still burning bright to me!

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - I had to look up what is "pendralogy" ... which I then realized is "dendrology" which is "the scientific study of trees." Good luck on your final!

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by goat-sprouts View Post
    altar1.jpgaltar2.jpg

I enjoyed looking at all the photos on this thread so much that I wanted to share mine too!~
    Since I live in a dorm, fire and candles are not allowed

so now it's just nothing more than a large rock...a large rock that sometimes "leaks" and forms puddles on my desk on particularly humid days

now the Buddha statue itself I think may actually be an Amida Buddha rather than a Shakyamuni Buddha, just based on the hands, but it's whatever I guess

He sits on a simple cardboard box that I filled with folded handwritten copies of various short texts and verses, such as the Heart Sutra and what not.

and next to him is just a simple white orchid flower.

And that's about it for my simple desk altar I guess~

Gassho
    Andy🐐🌱
    SatToday
    Looks lovely Andy ... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Eishuu
    Goat-sprouts, lovely altar. I like your rupa. I have a white china rupa too and I'm a big fan of orchids. They are so beautiful. I have electric candles, which are quite nice and you can turn them different colours. You can get them on Amazon.

Good luck for your finals!

Gassho
    Lucy
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    PS - I had to look up what is "pendralogy" ... which I then realized is "dendrology" which is "the scientific study of trees." Good luck on your final!
    sorry, I have really bad handwriting
    also thank, I'll do my best~
    I've been studying the past few days, so hopefully, I should do more or less okay on my finals

Gassho
    Andy ����
    SatToday

This is my little alter. I recognize that my Buddha is a Thai statue, but I really liked it. The stone is a polished river rock as a reminder to allow the dharma to wash over me and shape me. The tea cup is a reminder to be mindful, as I would drinking tea. The copy of the Dhammapada is to remind me of the teachings, and the Kanji in the back says Beginner's Mind. I left the silk wrinkled to remind me of perfection in imperfection and I'm looking for a candle holder that speaks to me. I have beeswax and tallow candles as a reminder that the better the quality of the light, the longer it will burn.

My little alter.

Gassho,
    Paul

Sat today LAH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by PClark1 View Post

This is my little alter. I recognize that my Buddha is a Thai statue, but I really liked it. The stone is a polished river rock as a reminder to allow the dharma to wash over me and shape me. The tea cup is a reminder to be mindful, as I would drinking tea. The copy of the Dhammapada is to remind me of the teachings, and the Kanji in the back says Beginner's Mind. I left the silk wrinkled to remind me of perfection in imperfection and I'm looking for a candle holder that speaks to me. I have beeswax and tallow candles as a reminder that the better the quality of the light, the longer it will burn.

My little alter.

Gassho,
    Paul

Sat today LAH

Very nice Paul ... it doesn't matter, whether Thai Buddha, Tibetan Buddha, or Zen Buddha ... Buddha is just Buddha. Alters are what call to our hearts, so each will be unique, genuine, and beautiful. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Lovely, moving Altars!

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Very nice Paul ... it doesn't matter, whether Thai Buddha, Tibetan Buddha, or Zen Buddha ... Buddha is just Buddha. Alters are what call to our hearts, so each will be unique, genuine, and beautiful. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Yes.

This is also why I have sometimes replaced the "Buddha Statue" on our Altar in Tsukuba with a coke bottle, flower, empty space or a bag of dirty diapers. All beautiful, sacred, manifestations of Buddha when the heart is open.

The only time I really ran into protest from folks was once, after 911, when I put up images of Bin Laden and George Bush, side by side, on the Altar with Mother Theresa (if I recall). That was harder for people to see as Buddha despite my explanation of how sometimes Buddha is harder to see. But, you know, what isn't the Buddha? And for me, if you think I degradate or insult the Buddha by replacing him(her) with a trash can, or that I raise up the trash can in praise, you miss the point I think. All of life is sacred, all the "Buddha" when seen as such. I take a Buddha statue as primarily a reMINDer, a symbol, like a Crucifix or Star of David, which reminds us of a "greater reality". At heart, it is just wood or stone. However, all wood and stones are sacred.

This Zazenkai, we had an Enso, a Mercedes Benz ornament and a Peace Sign ...

Of course, it takes a very Wise heart to see through ugly images in this world to the underlying Peace of Buddhism. Even a beautiful stone Buddha, on the other hand, could be used as a weapon in the hands of a person with an angry heart. All depends on the heart which sees.

Gassho, J

SatToday LAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-22-2017 at 03:32 AM.

I love this thread! Thank you for sharing your altars Andy and Paul. They are perfect and beautiful.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

home altar

Quote Originally Posted by PClark1 View Post

My little alter.

Gassho,
    Paul

Sat today LAH

Very cool, Paul!

I have the same "Beginner's Mind" print hung in my home. My son loves to look at it while he "plays" in his swing.

Gassho,
    Taylor
    SatToday

a bee / staggers out / of the peony.
    -matsuo basho

Tom's home altar

My latest home altar. It's got the stuff that's important to me. What is especially nice is the incense and white cup with the Heart Sutra on it. This was a gift from Jundo when he came to Omaha.

Sat Today
    LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Lovely

gassho,
    sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TomSchulte View Post
    My latest home altar. It's got the stuff that's important to me. What is especially nice is the incense and white cup with the Heart Sutra on it. This was a gift from Jundo when he came to Omaha.

Sat Today
    LAH
    Hi Tom,
    Your home altar is realy personal, I like it.
    Thank you for sharing.

Gassho
    Marcus
    SatToday

That's beautiful, Piobair! Lovely to see you here.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,
    Paul
    Sat today LAH

That is really outstanding, Piobair

Sat today

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Beautiful, Piobair!

Thanks for sharing.

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatTodayLAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

IMG_1849.jpg
    Bought out of storage for Ango. From when I was practicing in the Tibetan Sakya lineage.

Sat today.
    Last edited by David; 09-14-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Forgot sat today, again.
    I yam what I yam, that's all that I yam.
    Popeye.

The "Buddha" are rocks from a vacation to Wales. The wood is a piece oak of the USS Constitution. The incense burner was bought by way to encourage meditate again and the candles are from my mother-in-law who bought them after I lost all my bees to disease, harsh winter and vandals.

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for the Sangha.
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Wow, beautiful altars. Thanks for sharing!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

home altar

The latest addition to my temple at home.

Rice cooker/temple gong!

サイモン Simon
    座りました

Quote Originally Posted by Professsor View Post
    The latest addition to my temple at home.

Rice cooker/temple gong!
    Seems like a more resonant ring than many bell bells I know.

I like this "Zendo on the cheap" idea.

I sometimes tell our priests that a "Mokugyo" ... although a lovely, very traditional instrument meant to keep time in chanting (said to be shaped like a fish, thus the name ... "Mokugyo" = Wooden Fish) ...

... can also be a couple of nice sounding pieces of wood hit with a stick. So long as it sounds good, and resonates. (The following is just one possibility ... not telling what it actually sounds like until the actual strike) ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

My home altar.

Includes a hand carved mortar and pestle ove 70 years old from my great grandfather. I do not know the story behind it, but has a solid tone.

Gassho
    Sat
    Last edited by Myogan; 09-19-2017 at 12:52 AM.
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Seems like a more resonant ring than many bell bells I know.

I like this "Zendo on the cheap" idea.

I sometimes tell our priests that a "Mokugyo" ... although a lovely, very traditional instrument meant to keep time in chanting (said to be shaped like a fish, thus the name ... "Mokugyo" = Wooden Fish) ...

... can also be a couple of nice sounding pieces of wood hit with a stick. So long as it sounds good, and resonates. (The following is just one possibility ... not telling what it actually sounds like until the actual strike) ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Jundo,
    Great images here. I had a question about décor if I may ask. I am outfitting my basement zendo room. I am trying to add some authenticity and was going to paint and cover the crummy beat up walls with some shoji screens. I've been looking at images of zendos and all have light oak colored woodwork on the screens. I would assume to match the existing woodwork. Since my room has no real woodwork I was going to use black wood on the shojis to go with the black zafu, alter and a cabinet I have. I guess my question is; Is it "OK" to go with a black trim or is the lighter oak color more authentic? Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat Today / LAH
    James

Hi James,

I often say that I happen to live in a house with Japanese shoji and tatami because I happen to live in a Japanese house ... in Japan.

So, what you are describing is purely decorative, not required for Zen at all, of course. A Zen room is any room.

However, if you are going for Japanese decor, then I have seen both black and brown ... but some shade of light or dark brown is much more common than black black.

However, black black frame is sometimes seen too, although maybe more in the West ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Hi James,

I often say that I happen to live in a house with Japanese shoji and tatami because I happen to live in a Japanese house ... in Japan.

So, what you are describing is purely decorative, not required for Zen at all, of course. A Zen room is any room.

However, if you are going for Japanese decor, then I have seen both black and brown ... but some shade of light or dark brown is much more common than black black.

However, black black frame is sometimes seen too, although maybe more in the West ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Jundo,
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Maybe I'll send you some swatches and fabrics and you can help me with my living room. (Just kidding).

Gassho
    Sat2day / LAH
    James

The latest addition to the family, found in a wiccan/pagan shop.

最敬礼、
    サイモン/Simon.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpeg

My altar - and the holiday version.

ST

Tyler

home altar

Another accidental find when I shut a cupboard too hard.

Code:
     https://youtu.be/c7dLQ_YI-KM
    Chishou
    Sat

Last edited by Chishou; 01-30-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    Another accidental find when I XXXX a cupboard too hard.

Code:
     https://youtu.be/c7dLQ_YI-KM
    Chishou
    Sat

You might want to edit that post. I don't think that is what you meant to write.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you Shinshi, I’ll keep my potty mouth in check.

Just out of curiosity, is there a soto tradition round getting a new buddha statue? I remember watching a video about Thai buddhism and it being a be occasion.

Here are my latest editions to Chishou Zendo LTD PLC.org.uk:

Chishou
    Sat-half-asleep

Just out of curiosity, is there a soto tradition round getting a new buddha statue? I remember watching a video about Thai buddhism and it being a be occasion.

Here are my latest editions to Chishou Zendo LTD PLC.org.uk:

Chishou
    Sat-half-asleep

The wall hangings? They're really nice, where did you find them?
    PS I thought that typo was so funny, perhaps it's the irreverence of the British sense of humour
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Yes there is, but it usually follows a ceremony to "open the eyes" of a statue and invest it with life. There is a ceremony in Soto Zen, but here is the closest description I can find of a like ceremony of Pure Land Buddhists (page 150 here).

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...page&q&f=false

But this is not the flavor of Zen or Buddhism I practice, so I would advise you just to be respectful to the darn thing. Give it a nice new home on a table.

Or don't be respectful to it. The statue doesn't care, and neither would the Buddha. Toss it in the closet or the dustbin without a second thought.

One of Ma-tsu's famous disciples, T'ien-jan 天然 (died 824) of Tanhsia 丹霞 (Tanka in Japanese), was spending a night at a ruined temple with a few traveling companions. The night was bitterly cold and there was no firewood. He went to the Hall of Worship, took down the wooden image of the Buddha, and made a comfortable fire. When he was reproached by his comrades for this act of sacrilege, he said: "I was only looking for the `sariira (sacred relic) of the Buddha." "How can you expect to find `sariira in a piece of wood?" said his fellow travelers. "Well," said T'ien-jan, "then, I am only burning a piece of wood after all."
    However, I am sure that on other days, Tien-jan was respectful of statues. They are re-MIND-ers and embodiments of many cherished Teachings ... the historical Buddha, and "ALL THIS" which we are. So, at least be respectful, give a bow. Say thank you. Something like that.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - Here is an "Eye Opening" Ceremony at a Korean Zen Temple ...

PPS - We once had a Ceremony here of "Thanks" to all the old computers and software that were retired after keeping our online Sangha going ... Have a look ... I have to admit, it was half in genuine gratitude, half in good spirit ...

MEMORIAL SERVICE & OFFERING TO RETIRE OLD COMPUTER HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE

Today we gather to mark and commemorate the service and impermanence of the tools of communication, hardware and software, which are bridges linking our Sangha, the strands of Indra’s Net, passing from this sphere of existence. They have served this community well. Let us consider deeply that Buddhahood exists in everything, and while not Sentient, they are extensions of the hands, eyes, and minds of sentients beings. All beings are Buddha Nature. The mountains and tiles are Buddha Nature, machines and programs are Buddha Nature.

At one with the Buddha.
    At one with the Dharma.
    At one with the Sangha.

Dear Machines and Programs …
    From the beginning, there is neither birth nor death … nor creation, writing, storing, running or deletion. Yet all in life is booted up and shut down, and all constantly is impermanent. Because of our particular Karmic accumulations, like bites and bits in an ongoing living memory, we were able to encounter and employ you for the good of sentient beings, teaching Dharma and nurturing Sangha. Now, let us close your covers and send you for recycling, that nothing may be wasted and all shall be reborn.

PPPS - Isn't that candle a bit close to the scroll of Bodhidharma, Chishou? All things are impermanent, but no need to rush it.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-20-2018 at 12:08 PM.

The full procedures of the Soto Zen "Eye-Opening" Ceremony, if anyone is so interested.

Again, not so much our speed around here ... I suppose that, for a "deconsecration," one merely needs to do the following backwards ...

============

Procedure for Offerings upon
    Eye Opening of Images and Stupas [362]
    Ordinarily, whenever buddha images, temple buildings and stupas, spirit
    tablets, or stone stupas are newly made and put into service, ritual procedure
    of dotting and opening the eyes is performed. What follows is an example
    of offerings upon opening eyes of a buddha image.

Preparations [362]
    Provide flowers, lamps, and candles before buddha, together with an inkstone,
    fresh ink, and a new brush. Separately prepare offerings of tea and decoction.
    Install image that is to be consecrated ahead of time.

Entering Hall [363]
    Great assembly enters hall. Officiant enters hall to seven rings of bell, intones
    dharma phrase, advances to altar and burns incense.

Dotting Eyes [363]
    Officiant soaks brush in ink, inscribes a full circle (sign of completeness),
    recites ten epithets of Buddha (Thus Come, Worthy of Offerings, Perfectly
    Awakened, Complete in Wisdom and Deeds, Well Accomplished, World
    Knower, Supreme Human, Tamer of Men, Teacher of Devas and Humans,
    World Honored Awakened One.) Officiant initiates chanting; monks of
    great assembly chant in unison (three times). When finished, all together
    make three prostrations.

Offering Tea and Decoction [363]
    Officiant advances before offering table, offers decoction, sweets, and tea.
    When finished returns to place, makes three prostrations.

Narration Text [363]
    Officiant kneels upright on sitting cloth, intones following narration text
    (monks of great assembly also kneel and listen):
    Respectfully announced to the eternal three treasures throughout
    the three times and ten directions.
    Now, at this <Mountain Name>, <Monastery Name> in <Name>
    District/City/Town/Village, <Name> Prefecture, the donor
    <Name>, who is of particular faith, has established a new image
    of <Name of figure enshrined >. We shall therefore carry out the
    ceremonial procedure of eye-opening offerings and chant some
    marvelous texts of the Mahayana.

We are aware that in this realm of apparitional transformation there
    is no escaping karmically determined changes and that, in the final
    analysis, this bubbling froth of five aggregates is impermanent. Thus,
    we rely on the true words of the Golden Mouthed One and store up
    the fruits of good deeds for the future. As the saying goes, “If one is
    not negligent for the hundred years preceding, then one will surely
    find ease and joy in the hundred years following.” We heed the words
    of the ancestral teacher [Dōgen, in his Instructions for the Head Cook]:
    “The effects of cherishing the matter of awakening and delighting
    in the way are attested by the example of ‘grasping sand and making
    it a treasure.’ When one makes an image and worships it, one often
    experiences this kind of response.”

We pray that the donor <Name>, having relaxed in the garden
    where all difficulties are eliminated in this world, may in the future
    mount the dais where myriad virtues are complete, and that the
    dharma realms may be equally and universally benefited.
    (In case of temple buildings and stupas, use some passage such as the following:
    “The Buddha said, ‘In whatever places these sutra fascicles exist, you
    should raise a stupa of seven precious jewels and metals, making it as
    high and wide and beautifully adorned as possible.... [You should not
    place any relics in it, because] inside it there is already the entire body
    of the Tathagata. [With regard to this stupa, use all kinds of flowers,
    incense, jewelled necklaces, precious canopies, banners, skillful
    music, songs and verses to make offerings, revere, venerate, and praise
    it.] If any people are able to see this stupa, to worship it and make
    offerings, you should know that all of them shall thereby draw near
    to unsurpassed supreme and perfect awakening.’” [Translator’s note:
    This is a passage from the Lotus Sutra (T 9.31b27 ff.), quoted by
    Dōgen at the opening of the “Entire Body of the Tathagata” chapter
    of his Shōbōgenzō. The bracketed portions are missing from the text
    of Standard Observances of the Soto Zen School.])
    Respectfully Announced

Sutra Chanting and Dedication of Merit [363]
    Monks of great assemby stand. Officiant advances to altar and burns incense.
    Perform chanting circumambulation of an appropriate sutra, then
    dedicate merit. Make three prostrations, disperse from hall.

Eko Text [364]
    Buddha’s body entirely pervades the dharma realms, appearing
    everywhere before all living beings. According with their karmic
    conditions and responding to their appeals, it never fails to reach
    them, such that even ordinary places are the seat of awakening.
    It is difficult to exhaust the praises of the Buddha’s ocean of merit.
    Having meticulously peformed the ceremonial procedure of eyeopening
    offerings; respectfully provided incense, flowers, lamps,
    and candles, decoction, sweets, tea and rare delicacies; respectfully
    gathered the present pure assembly, and chanted sutras and dharanis
    in unison; we present the merit accumulated thereby as an offering to
    the Buddha <Name> (insert appropriate buddha name).
    We humbly pray that the heavenly eye may see at a great distance;
    that the golden light may always shine; that the efficacious and
    responsive appearance of spritual powers will always be so for time
    immemorial; and that prosperity and tranquility will never decline
    throughout the ten directions.

We also ask that this monastery (or, this household) be tranquil
    and secure both within and without; that concern for the way
    shall increase; that all conditions may be auspicious; and that
    sentient beings throughout the dharma realm may equally perfect
    omniscience.

Appendix: Examples of Eye-Opening Dharma Phrases
    1. Image of Shakason [365]
    Great compassionate father, uniquely honored in the three realms,
    with billions of transformation bodies, who universally delivers us
    from delusion and confusion, humans and devas gaze up at you
    with respect. Myriad classes of beings have received blessings from
    you, whose dharma body has already descended, and good fortune
    overflows our house.

Raise brush and say:
    The true eye is dotted and opened. The wisdom light of the sun and
    moon brightly illuminates heaven and earth for myriad ages.
    Make dot.

2. Images of Shakamuni Buddha with Kasho and Anan [365]
    Raise brush and say:
    He who is uniquely honored in the three realms is complete with
    myriad virtues. The Drinker of Light and the Joyful One stand at
    either side and attend to his person. The auspicious appearance of
    purple and gold manifests itself anew in this hall, forever providing
    a great field of merit for humans and devas. Opening for the first
    time this treasure hall, we adorn the new seat with a canopy and
    pennants, incense and flowers, bells and drums, melodic chanting,
    tea, sweets, lamps, and candles, pure offerings of food, and various
    other offerings. The fourfold sangha looks up in worship and, with
    different voices chanting as one, praises Buddha’s merit. All living
    beings universally profit from his gift of benefits.
    However, as is said in the teachings: “The body of Buddha pervades
    and fills empty space. That being the case, why should I [literally, “this
    mountain monk”] waste my breath for the sake of others? If you can
    just grasp ‘the one inside the hall,’ then you will see the precious light
    that the three dots of the symbol ∴ emit simultaneously.”
    Make one dot and say:
    One dot with the tip of the brush opens the eye of compassion; its
    radiance extends to the three thousands and great thousands of
    world systems.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast