Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: home altar

Hi June,

Thank you for your wonderful idea! I live in a super tiny place and this has inspired me to do something like that.

Gassho,

Kyonin,
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello good friends.

my home alter comes with meta and as every item was a gift from family and friends. Even the table is a beautiful oak and etched plywood given to me by my father who made it when I was 4 years old which makes the table 59 years old. Both Buddha statues and the good luck items come from wife and daughter and the clear and singing prayer bell gift from daughter in Japan, yes so much comes from Japan. I have purchased candles and incense. There I practice sitting meditation on a Buddhist meditation cushion made for a chair because ​ can no longer sit in traditional postures. Thank you dear friends for being there for when I sit alone, I know that others are siting some place with me. Gassho--deep meta--sat--Elgwyn.

Hey friends, here's my altar:

IMG_0562.jpg

I like the "Guan Yin" (Kannon) statue I bought in a "chinese" store near home. I think if that's ok to have two statues like this.

IMG_0566.jpg

Recently I've added the flowers.

IMG_0564.jpg

Most recently I've changed the candle holder to a "golden" one and the jar to a yellow one.

The piece of paper embodies the "Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo" (Heart Sutra) , the "Daihi Shin Darani" and the "Shigu Seigan Mon" (Bodhisattva vows) the first and last one I recite every evening when I finish Zazen.

So when I came to Zazen, I offer incense and then I recite the "Tissarana" (in Pali) as I've heard in the monasteries I've frequented, then sit Zazen; when it finishes I recite the "Maka Hannya" (in japanese) and the "Shigu Seigan Mon" (in japanese and portuguese).

Eventually I think a most proper way to ritualize... don't know how, though, yet.
    Last edited by Kyosei; 04-10-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

My little corner of the house (my zafu and zabuton is just off to the side)home altar.jpg
    The focal points are the Bodhidharma drawing and the 'beginner's mind' calligraphy (brushed by a local Indonesian calligrapher)

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshu Bryson View Post
    My little corner of the house (my zafu and zabuton is just off to the side)home altar.jpg
    The focal points are the Bodhidharma drawing and the 'beginner's mind' calligraphy (brushed by a local Indonesian calligrapher)

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Nice alter, all neat and tidy. I noticed the calligraphy right aways, as I have that tattooed on my arm. It is a beautiful painting, nice idea to add that to an alter.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Nice Alter Anshu! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Hello Anshu, that is beautiful, would you mind telling a little more about the other things that are there? Unless it is overly personal, but I am curious. Also I am working on one of my own so I wonder what other folks include in theirs and why.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra529 View Post
    Also I am working on one of my own so I wonder what other folks include in theirs and why.
    Hello Sierra,

For alters really it is all personal preference, what ever calls to your heart. You can have a Buddha statue, a picture of a loved one, or a special item that is dear to you ... a candle, some incense if not allergic, a flower, etc. For me I am of the mind set, simple is best. =) Here is a snapshot of mine.

alter-photo.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Sierra,

For alters really it is all personal preference, what ever calls to your heart. You can have a Buddha statue, a picture of a loved one, or a special item that is dear to you ... a candle, some incense if not allergic, a flower, etc. For me I am of the mind set, simple is best. =) Here is a snapshot of mine.

alter-photo.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday
    I love the simplicity.. and of course the photo of your dog. Beautiful capture as well. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.
    "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra529 View Post
    Hello Anshu, that is beautiful, would you mind telling a little more about the other things that are there? Unless it is overly personal, but I am curious. Also I am working on one of my own so I wonder what other folks include in theirs and why.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday
    Hi Sierra,

I was going to sat there's nothing 'personal' there, but actually it is all personal! But nothing I'm uncomfortable sharing

The dark red 'lion/dogs' at either end are 'Shisa', the Okinawan version of the similar looking Chinese guardian figures. I practice Okinawan karate; we all have a set of these in our homes or dojo

From left to right after the shisa is:

- My rakusu in its bag
    - an Inkin (the bell with the handle)
    - At the rear, a whimsical version of the 'Seven Lucky Gods'; not so 'Zen', but, apart from being from Japan, they are also prominent in my wife's Chinese Mahayana tradition
    - A few origami cranes, these mostly came with gifts from Japanese friends, so they have some sentimental significance. Also, out of view is a really nice ceramic crane made to look like an origami crane (from one of my Japan visits)
    - The 'kesu' gong/bell in front of all that
    - In the middle, a print of a brush painting of Bodhidharma (from 'The Zen Art Box' by Stephen Addiss and Daido Loori; as the name suggests, a box of art - ! - a mix of calligraphy and brush paintings, all with commentary by both authors)
    - In front of that, a flower bowl, incense holder (actually, an 'expedient' version made from a Chinese tea cup filled with rice to hold the incense sticks...!) and candle holder (there's usually a water container there as well; we were between replenishments!)
    - Then, at the back, calligraphy for 'beginner's mind' (shoshin), done by a local Indonesian shodo practitioner (I also have some of his 'kakejiku' hanging scrolls in the house)
    - In front of that, the glass block is a laser-etched Shakyamuni Buddha from a visit to the Po Lin Chan Ji (Precious Lotus Zen Temple) in Hong Kong
    - The mokugyo (wooden fish) in front
    - A miniature replica of the Kamakura Daibutsu from a visit about 25 years ago
    - (The long stick is the mallet for the mokugyo)
    - And the other shisa at the end to close off...

The altar cloth (if I'm not mistaken, as we have a number of these pieces and I get confused!) is a simple hand-woven Cambodian silk cloth which was a gift from close friends in Phnom Penh

The chest is just a set of drawers we have in our home (we live in Jakarta, Indonesia, so most of our furniture is, by default, 'Asian'...) Everything here (apart from the mokugyo and the bells) is just items we already had around the house. It started out as just the flower, water, incense and candle, but just seemed to grow organically..!

PS To the left of all this, I sit my computer on a small step for the weekend Treeleaf zazenkai; my zafu and zabuton are just in front of that...

So, that's my liitle corner of the house; I am glad you liked it...

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-
    Last edited by Anshu Bryson; 08-12-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by broahes View Post
    I love the simplicity.. and of course the photo of your dog. Beautiful capture as well. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.
    Thank you Brooks ... that is my dog Charlie who passed away on 2011 after a wonderful 18years. He had the heart of a Buddha, so I figured what better place for him to be, then beside Buddha. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Sierra,

alter-photo.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday
    A stone, a branch or empty space is fine too. The Altarless Altar.

In fact, whatever is a reminder of peace and compassion in one's heart.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    A stone, a branch or empty space is fine too. The Altarless Altar.

In fact, whatever is a reminder of peace and compassion in one's heart.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Agreed ...

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you Anshu, Shingen, and everyone else who shared on this thread... I find all these pictures very touching and beautiful. Was Charlie a Border Collie? 18 years is a long life!!

Gassho,
    Sierra
    About to Sit Today

Nindo
    My microwave Buddha. Found him in a Sri Lankan grocery store in Vienna for 2 Euros. His nose is a bit out of shape, but he is a good buddy in the kitchen.

SP1010689.jpg

The place around my incense bowl is the closest thing I have to an altar. The loon from Quebec enjoys the company of her painted cousins from Vancouver. The shells are from New Zealand and California.

SP1010691.jpg

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Two new interesting ideas... a microwace Buddha (looking good!).

And what is an incense bowl?
    I only know these sticks, which you place in a holder but litter fine ashes everywhere.
    Good samu, makes me hoover more often.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

My home altar reinstalled after its move to Louisiana. The altar table was crafted by a good friend as a surprise several years back.

Gassho
    Sven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Words and ideas are a description of reality, silence is a negation of reality. What is the reality itself? — John Daido Loori

blog: http://www.svendavisson.com

Hello,
    today, I took pictures of my to-be Rakusu for the sewing thread and also took the opportunity to take a picture of my Altar.
    I thought of this thread and the inspiring pictures and stories. Thanks for posting those!
    During Ango, I am spending more time in front of the Altar and it gets more and more personal.
    So, this is, what the ever-changing things look like now:

altar.jpg

There are always fresh flowers/branches from the garden.
    A Manjushri statue,
    standing on a turned tablet, that was used 10 years for serving my wife coffee, before it got replaced with a bigger one.
    A candle made of beeswax from the bees, living in my garden.
    Incense bowls for burning sticks and wood.

Gassho,
    Ralf Sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Very peaceful looking Ralf.

Thank you.

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Very peaceful looking Ralf.

Thank you.

Shugen

#sattoday

I agree, very nice Ralf. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Hello,
    today, I took pictures of my to-be Rakusu for the sewing thread and also took the opportunity to take a picture of my Altar.
    I thought of this thread and the inspiring pictures and stories. Thanks for posting those!
    During Ango, I am spending more time in front of the Altar and it gets more and more personal.

altar.jpg

A Manjushri statue,
    standing on a turned tablet, that was used 10 years for serving my wife coffee, before it got replaced with a bigger one.

Gassho,
    Ralf Sattoday.
    It looks very peaceful,

I don't have a quiet room or one place for me to sit. I've been sitting in the same spot in my living room for the past month so I may set up an alter there and take a picture of it so that it may move with me as I go from room to room to sit.

I have a small cabana in my backyard that is not being used so I asked my hubby if I can convert it into my women cave (I'm still waiting for na answer - it's been three months now, hahaha) I'll make it my space to sit and read the. I will be able to set up an alter there.

Your room looks lovely and peaceful.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Wow Ralf! That's some serious alter envy I'm feeling here.

My alter is a pebble that I found on a beach somewhere. Simple and portable, which I need in a house with three noisy boys and two dogs. I spend a lot of time looking for a quiet space where I won't be disturbed so I have to move quickly and travel light in my house.

Martyn

Sat today

Ralf - that looks like something out of a home decorating magazine!
    gassho, Jennifer
    Sat today

That's really beautiful, Ralf. I feel serene just looking at it

Gassho
    Libby

just sat

My alter has since changed--more electric candles, batteries as my wife is afraid of burning our home down, and still I have one small real candle with a cover for when I am over with meditation. The incense I burn in very small amounts. So I'm moving in the direction of simplicity. I have included a very small computer (netbook) so I might be in touch with Sangha, Treeleaf.

Elgwyn
    sat today

Gassho.

Your altar is beautiful Ralf

Willow

sat today

Oh wow, you're so kind.
    Thank you all very much!

Clarisse,
    actually, this was a small, unused spare room, in a small building, separate from the house. Sounds very similar to your description.
    I know, I am very lucky, that there was such a room, already build out of this old oak, we found in Austria.

Martyn,
    It had to be a little bigger for the small, but empty room. No boys and dogs over here, but two large cats, who would knock over the flowers in a min, if I would let them in.

There is enough room, for the very few people of our (just forming) local sitting group, so from time to time, my miniature "Zendo" gets more visitors and they also seem to like it.
    Maybe it's not only the longer exposure times in the pics that makes the impression ;-).

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Ralf,

I'm beginning to sound like a cranky old man, but a couple things:

Never place the rakusu on the floor as it should always be on a high shelf. Since it still needs the back piece, it is technically still rags. But best to start putting it away properly at this point.

And it's not your rakusu, nor is the one I wear my rakusu. No one owns the rakusu. We are merely the current caretaker.

That said, it is a truly beautiful altar.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Hello,

altar.jpg

A Manjushri statue,

Gassho,
    Ralf Sattoday.

Cranky Dosho,

thank you for the cranky reminder! I remember Taigu also saying the same thing on the video, but I had forgotten this.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Ralf,

Never place the rakusu on the floor as it should always be on a high shelf. Since it still needs the back piece, it is technically still rags. But best to start putting it away properly at this point.

And it's not your rakusu, nor is the one I wear my rakusu. No one owns the rakusu. We are merely the current caretaker.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thank you for the beautiful reminder, Dosho. Yes.

One point about the photo, however. Since the Altar is sitting on a small, raised piece of Tatami, I would say that is not the floor, as it is not a Tatami to walk or sit on, but a kind of clean platform which is part of the Altar. So, this is fine. You would not place it somewhere one walks or sits, like the surrounding wooden floor, without a cloth or the like underneath.

Not more than common sense respectful behavior. I would do the same with a received gift, a flag, or a picture of your mother or the like. One does not put them on the floor where we walk out of respect.

Gassho, J

SatToday (on a Zafu on Tatami)
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-22-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Joyo
    Ralf,

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Dosho, you do. I don't think it is necessary to say this to Ralf in the first place. Let him share without correcting him. You often come across like you think you are better than the rest of us here.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today (have you sat today, Dosho? Because I've noticed everyone else on Treeleaf posts this but you, and I wonder why, as you are an Unsui here)

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Dosho, you do. I don't think it is necessary to say this to Ralf in the first place. Let him share without correcting him. You often come across like you think you are better than the rest of us here.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today (have you sat today, Dosho? Because I've noticed everyone else on Treeleaf posts this but you, and I wonder why, as you are an Unsui here)
    Sounds like a good topic for the Precepts VIII thread

Peace,
    Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you, Dosho.

Don't worry, it's not meant to be the place, I'll put the '"to-be" Rakusu. It's in my sewing box now, together with all the other fabric.
    I took pics for the sewing-thread and took the opportunity, to take a picture of the "Altar".
    Felt ok, putting the to-be Rakusu there for the pic, BUT...

Maybe I shouldn't have put the Rakusu on the Altar-mat for the pic and should've left it on the Zafu, I made the Rakusu pics on.
    Hmm, yes, I shouldn't have put it there, not because being a final place, or the floor, but because of the Rakusu being nothing to be exhibited.
    Showing it on the Altar pic is in part about showing the Rakusu around (me being proud).
    I do understand what is wrong with that and it hits me more, than putting Altar of Rakusu 'on the floor'.

I also do remember hearing Taigu talking about putting the Rakusu on a high shelf (was it in the last sewing video?).

There is absolutely no furniture in this room. Intentionally. The highest usable flat place is the tablet, the statue is standing on (and the Zafu).
    There is nearly no artificial material and the room is kept very clean and calm from a design point of view.
    So, placing a table for the Altar and drilling into the old oak from an Austrian family saw-mill on the walls, placing a shelf for the Rakusu, will have to be well thought out.
    I've simply tried to make the best (tm) out of what was there, not buying stuff and placing it into the room.

Btw. there is maybe also a language issue in my posting... wrote 'my to-be Rakusu' and did not mean to say 'it will be mine', but 'it will be a Rakusu'.
    'My' was referring to 'the one on the pics' and not 'my belonging'.
    Should watch my words better... I am usually waiting for a moment, I am not that controlled about what I write, else I'd write nothing at all, being ashamed about my bad english.

Do you remember asking about the direction of the seams? I took the 'better' cam and went into that room because of that.
    Tried to do a pic with longer exposure, better light and cam to show it better this time, but was a little carried away by all that photo stuff...

Dosho, I am still learning and thankful for your hints and comments.
    Yes, they 'hit' somehow, but that is nothing bad and the agitation of the first second after reading gets replaced by thankfulness and insight really soon.
    Somehow this is the reason, why I came to this place after all. Learning. Growing. Hopefully.

There is still about 10m2 of the oak boards left. You made me think about building something for the Altar and an even higher place for the final Rakusu.
    Thoughts have to mature a little until the beginning of next year. I promise to report back here, if there are any changes in the beginning of the next year.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Wonderful Altar Shingen !

Thank you

Gassho
    Last edited by Anchi; 11-23-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Ralf,

I apologize if my comments seemed harsh, but I wanted to make sure others knew the procedure as set out by Taigu in the videos.

To anyone who ever thinks I am being too mean or strict or acting like I'm "all that", please drop me a PM. Anything I say can be the starting point of a conversation. Truly, I am glad to hear about anything that is on your mind.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Joyo
    Ralf,

I apologize if my comments seemed harsh, but I wanted to make sure others knew the procedure as set out by Taigu in the videos.

To anyone who ever thinks I am being too mean or strict or acting like I'm "all that", please drop me a PM. Anything I say can be the starting point of a conversation. Truly, I am glad to hear about anything that is on your mind.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Dosho, I apologize for my comments being more harsh than what I intended.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

My alter is portable. This little Hotei was given to me by a Hindu friend of mine when I was 16. I remember going to the temple with him and there being a statue of the Buddha in a corner. He explained that the Buddha deserves just as much reverence as other gods.

I turned around to walk away and he told me to walk backwards instead, because we should never turn our back on the gods.

A few days later he gave me little Hotei and told me that I should embody as much joy as him and spread it to others.

When I am able create an alter in the home I'll make sure he sits next to a rock my daughter painted a cat face on.

Kyle,
    Sat2day.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Hi Kyle,

Anything we find beauty and significance in, such as a little gift from a friend or a painted rock, is lovely for an Altar.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

PS - Here, by the way, is a little information on "Hotei", the "pudgy Buddha" sometimes said to be Maitreya that is probably best known from Chinese restaurants and such ...

The image of Hotei is almost always seen carrying a cloth or linen sack. It is usually filled with many precious items, including candy for children, food, or the woes of the world. Sometimes it can be filled with children, as they are seen as some of those precious items of this world. In some scenes he may be found sitting on a cart drawn by boys.

The large, fat belly is a symbol of happiness, luck, and generosity.

The name Hotei actually means "cloth bag" or "glutton." A legend has it that if a person is to rub his belly, it brings forth wealth, good luck, and prosperity.

The Laughing Buddha, also known as Hotei in Japan, Pu-Tai in China, embodies the ideals of the good life: health, happiness, prosperity and longevity.

Monks and commercial travelers spread the Buddhist message throughout the East, northward into Afganistan and Tibet, eastward to China and Japan, as well as south into Ceylon and Indonesia. As with any religious message, changes in the nature of Buddhist practice and understanding were inevitable as the religion was absorbed within different cultures.

Scholars have long commented on the contrast between India’s penchant for lofty idealisms as against the Chinese focus on the practicalities of the here-and-now. Over the centuries within China, Buddhist notions of happiness based on self-mastery and enlightened insight were fused with popular Chinese life-ideals of happiness through material prosperity.

Iconographers in the 10th century summed up these various elements of happiness in a representation of the fat Laughing Buddha, clutching his prayer beads in one hand and with a bag of gold in the other. The large number of children usually surrounding him illustrates another Chinese virtue - a large family consisting of many children.

Moreover, there is belief, that the Laughing Buddha is in fact modeled on an historical figure, a fat wandering Zen monk named Pu Tai, who possibly claimed to be an incarnation of the future Buddha Maitreya (Chinese Mi-lo-fo; Japanese Miroku). One poem attributed to him reads:

Mi-lo, true Mi-lo
    Reborn innumerable times
    From time to time manifested to men
    The men of the age do not recognize you
    More here ...

http://www.newsfinder.org/site/more/...ughing_buddha/

Jundo,

Does this mean that even my 1970 Incredible Hulk lunchbox passed down from father to son is acceptable? Also, I was wondering if it's appropriate to have pictures of those who are still alive. I'd like to individually frame pictures of the temple's linage (teachers), but don't know if that would be weird or not. Better to say; I don't know how you and Taigu would feel about having your picture on my alter, as well as past (or in this case, passed) teachers.

Gassho,
    Kyle.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone,
    It is so nice to see everyone's altars. I love how everyone has their own styles integrated into the altar, all with unique feels, filled with individual meanings. Yet all meaning the same thing, connecting us all in unique similarity.

Here is the altar at home:
    20151018_104444.jpg
    It consists of the Buddha, attended by Kannon and Jizo.

I also have an altar at work, which is where I spend most of my waking hours. The Buddha is always looking down at me, shielded by Mucalinda. Reminding me to be ever careful with the power of a poisonous mouth. I need that reminder at work sometimes.
    20151112_161849.jpg

Gassho,
    Ken
    SatToday
    Last edited by Seido; 11-24-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
    Jundo,

Does this mean that even my 1970 Incredible Hulk lunchbox passed down from father to son is acceptable?
    Well, we usually don't place an object on the Altar ... whether a Buddha statue, stone, flower, open space or lunch box ... as the central figure if because of emotional attachment or because it means something as a keepsake. One should not see it as a "thing" at all. You remind me of two old Koans (slightly updated) ...

Dongshan was asked by a monastic, “What is Buddha?” Dongshan said, “Three pounds of flax [a 1970 Incredible Hulk lunchbox].” The monastic had a realization and bowed.

If you think of it as a "lunchbox from Dad", then it is just a lunchbox from Dad. If one can find how a boundless box holds the whole universe within, beyond you and dad and "the Hulk" and "buddha", "1970" and all time, metal, water, fire and earth ... then maybe such is a Buddha Statue.

Dogen instructed,

Once, while the late Sojo Eisai was at Kenninji, a poor man came and said, “My family is so destitute that we have had nothing to eat for several days. My wife and children are about to die of starvation. Please have compassion on us.”

At the time, there was no clothing, food, or other possessions in the temple. Although Eisai contemplated what to do, he was at a loss. There was a little bit of thin copper allocated for making the halo for the Yakushi-Buddha which was under construction. The abbot took it and broke it apart, rolled it up, and gave it to the poor man, telling him to exchange it for food to relieve his family’s hunger.

The man was very delighted and left.

Eisai’s disciples, however, reproached him [Eisai] saying, “That is nothing other than the halo for the statue of the Buddha. You gave it away to the layman. Is it not a sin to use the Buddha’s property for personal use?”

The Sojo replied, “Yes, it is. Yet think of the Buddha’s will. The Buddha cut off his flesh and limbs and offered them to living beings. Even if we gave the whole body of the Buddha to people who are actually about to die of starvation, such an action would certainly be in accordance with the Buddha’s will.”

He went on, “Even if I fall into hell because of this sin, I have just saved living beings from starvation.”
    So, I would not place an item on the Altar thinking of such as property, "mine", "his", something to fear losing

Also, I was wondering if it's appropriate to have pictures of those who are still alive. I'd like to individually frame pictures of the temple's linage (teachers), but don't know if that would be weird or not. Better to say; I don't know how you and Taigu would feel about having your picture on my alter, as well as past (or in this case, passed) teachers.
    No, please do not place a picture of a living being. Save that for next to your bed. Sometimes we place a picture of folks who have left this visible world (the Japanese place pictures of their deceased parents and grandparents. On the Altar of the Zendo in Tsukuba, there is a picture of Nishijima Roshi and some Calligraphy by Niwa Roshi hanging).

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-25-2015 at 01:38 AM.

I really love seeing everyone's home altars and practice places. They're very diverse and personal. Being a minimalist, and for what it's worth, here are a few pictures of my bedside zendo.

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0222.jpg

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainin View Post
    I really love seeing everyone's home altars and practice places. They're very diverse and personal. Being a minimalist, and for what it's worth, here are a few pictures of my bedside zendo.

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0222.jpg

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday
    Very nice. My space is currently a mess from the move. But, it does the job

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainin View Post

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0222.jpg

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday
    Lovely Dainin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, Kyotai and Shingen!

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatToday

Kyotai
    OK, so you inspired me to clean the basement enough to post my zazen spot. Nothing special

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Very good!
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Kyotai
    And you have to turn your head...

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    OK, so you inspired me to clean the basement enough to post my zazen spot. Nothing special

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST
    Love it ... horizontal zazen. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast