Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: home altar

My weekend project. This isn't my official butsudan and that's my home Buddha for here. My other stuff is in my roommate's house. There are pegs on the door for hanging juzu that I make. It's really a work in progress so far but I'm happy with it.

Gassho
    Javier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's really nice, Javier! Did you peg the top together, or are those plugs covering screws? I love the simplicity of it, and the wood grain on the doors.

Gassho,

Lisa

Actually, it's just screws at the top but I am going to replace it with wooden pegs soon. Or keep it as is. I haven't decided. Cx

I pegged the shelf in place, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it. I'll post another picture when I have all my stuff. Thank you for the kind words, Lisa. C:

Gassho
    Javier

image.jpg

This is my altar now, Monju, Majushri in the form of a sitting priest riding a Shishi, as you would find in many Zendo.

and a lyiing down version when going for a nap...

Gassho

Taigu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Taigu; 12-01-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Beautiful, Taigu.

One question if I may, what's the significance or meaning of a priest riding a Shishi?

Gassho
    Matt

A shishi, mythical lion, is a protector often found at the entrance of temples. As the Buddhist law rides it, The Buddhist law represented by Manjushri , the Bodhisattva of wisdom, cannot be threatened or destroyed. It represents the supreme samadhi, the absolute freedom in sitting and being.Therfore it has its place in the Zendo where you typically find this representation. Not a Buddha. Just a Bodhisattva sitting.

gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 12-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Thank you Taigu.

Gassho
    Matt

Hi all,
    Some really wonderful home altars here. Beautiful.

Gassho
    Myozan

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    A shishi, mythical lion, is a protector often found at the entrance of temples. As the Buddhist law rides it, The Buddhist law represented by Manjushri , the Bodhisattva of wisdom, cannot be threatened or destroyed. It represents the supreme samadhi, the absolute freedom in sitting and being.Therfore it has its place in the Zendo where you typically find this representation. Not a Buddha. Just a Bodhisattva sitting.

gassho

Taigu
    Beautiful alter Taigu and thank you for the description, I did not know about Shishi. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Wonderful altar, Taigu. I love the look of the hand carved wood for statues. It took someone time and patience to make it. I might try my hand at carving some things. They may end up as one of Jundo's "broken Buddhas". XD but that won't stop me from trying.

Always learning
    Gassho

Javier

Joyo
    Taigu and Javier, wonderful alters.

Here's a picture of mine, since this was taken, I've added a small lotus-shaped candle holder. 100_1067.jpg

Gassho,
    Treena

Oh, I love your Buddha, Treena—it looks like it's got some substance to it!

Gassho,

Lisa

home altar

I love the little "gatha" you have on your altar, Treena. It's very nice. Here's the complete altar.

I'm pretty happy with it. C:

Gassho
    Javier
    Last edited by Bobman4671; 12-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.

altar.jpg

This is the altar in the room where I sit. My Buddha is sitting atop a piece of glass block. But, if you squint and use your imagination, you can see that he's really sitting atop Vulture Peak.

Gassho,
    Juki
    Last edited by Juki; 09-10-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Wow there are so many beautiful altars here.

Gassho, Ben
    Gassho
    Ben

Ready for Ango,

Gassho
    Myoku
    Last edited by Myoku; 09-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Ah yes! I remember that Buddha

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Mp
    Simple and sweet Myoku ... very nice! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

At one time, I had a fairly elaborate altar, but now it's a Kannon statue, a small bell, a candle and incense.
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

home altar

Here is mine, just moved to a new apartment and created this new version of my home altar with a little tibetan influence, sometimes I sit and hangout with some guys from the New Kadampa Tradition and Karma Kagyu, their centers are near my home.I really find their Golden Buddhas beautiful. Both Buddhas are painted and decorated by me, great meditation practice. Ganesha and the fighting monk are gifts from two of my martial arts students.

Gassho

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420203871.435750.jpg
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Joyo
    WIN_20150103_095234.jpgThank you for sharing, Kidbuda, I so enjoy seeing everyone's home altars. I want to share with everyone my new altar. My two friends (who were my witnesses for Jukai) gave me this Buddha statue last January. There is also a lotus candle holder (where I burn beeswax candles) a Buddha incense holder, and the urn is from my dog, Rudy. He died on July 23 this summer. His ashes/urn are a continuous reminder of all the things he taught me, including his final lesson, impermanence. Thank you everyone for sharing this practice with me, words cannot express how much it means to me.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

These last two are just lovely !!
    thankyou Joyo and kidBuddha sharing
    gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

20150104_104700.jpg

This is Otto-san's place now.
    The ugly old crate is a traveling box for a microscope, as to see the truth of everything everywhere - but it's empty .
    No, really, it would have been thrown away.
    The little orchidea is going to flower again (provided I do not burn it with incence).

Suggestions?

Before, I only had a picture of water and some nice clouds, so this is really overwhelmingly much .

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

PS: yes, and the power sockets are there because a powersocketomaniac decorated every room with about twelf of them. Or to give me more power, whatever your flavour is.
    Last edited by Jika; 01-04-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Hi Chris,

Your altar is very very beautiful.

Thank you for sharing it.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Nindo
    Looks very nice, Danny! I like the box.

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

Mp
    Here is part of my alter ... Buddha sitting with Buddha. =)

buddha-sitting-with-buddha.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

Countless ones, Shingen, but at least three, me figures...
    Thanks, Nindo.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Ready for Jukai

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Joyo
    Looks great Walter, got me excited for everyone just looking at it

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Looks great Walter, got me excited for everyone just looking at it

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    I agree .. very nice Walter, see you tomorrow. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

_/\_

#sattoday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Hi all

Some (western) calligraphy I just finished for above my shrine. Please feel free to criticise, especially the execution of the enso. I am still very much a beginner when it comes to the calligraphic arts.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps36a0de06.jpg

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Wow, that is gorgeous, Kokuu, thanks for sharing!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

Some (western) calligraphy I just finished for above my shrine. Please feel free to criticise, especially the execution of the enso. I am still very much a beginner when it comes to the calligraphic arts.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    Wonderful Kokuu ... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

Hey Kokuu very awesome and cool. Beautiful

Gassho,

Jiken

Sat today

Kokuu! That's lovely!!
    Thank you for sharing it.

Gassho,
    Elle

Sat today

Looks cool to me Kokuu.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Every time I meet beauty, truth is not far.

Wonderful work.

In gassho

Taigu

Hi Kokuu;
    Please do not be so harsh on yourself. This is beautiful, the quintessensal perfection I trust I have your permission to show it to my meditation class.
    gassho,

#sattoday
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Thank you, all, for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Shokai, of course you may.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    This is lovely Kokuu,

thank you

Willow

Sat today

Here's my altar:
    IMG_0404.jpg
    The Buddha statue is very meaningful to me. It was a gift from my Mom who, when I started practicing Buddhism, was very unhappy & accused me of idolatry. Later, when she found & read my copy of the Dhammapada, she found that she agreed with so much of it & was happy that I had found a path.

IMG_0401.jpg
    The daruma was needle-felted by my wife last night. She had a bad day at work & worked out her frustration in 2 hours of solid wool-stabbing!

_/\_
    Ade

Sat today

Sorry for bumping this thread but I thought I'd share something I made today. I got this Swisher Sweets box from the corner store (don't worry, I didn't smoke all of them ) and decided to cover it with some fabric that my friend had gotten me maybe... 10 years ago? I had always saved it to use it for the "right" thing and I felt inspired to use it for a portable altar.

The last picture is what I have for my altar now: painted sage pins that my friend made for earth, an octopus pin for water, and incense for fire/air. I'd like to eventually get a small Buddha statue that'll fit in the box, but for now, I'm pretty happy with grabbing things from around the house. If I get a statue, I'd put it on top of the closed box and array the other stuff around the box. Everything, including the incense holder, fits in there now.

- June
    #SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by orangedice View Post
    Everything, including the incense holder, fits in there now.
    The whole universe ... the whole boundless universe made of fire air water earth and anything more ... fits easily in this box.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

June,

awesome, beautiful, I love it!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Mp
    Beautiful June. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Just about to sit

June,

That's truly beautiful and inspired! It is so lovely that it is portable, I'd love to make one some day.

Thank you for sharing,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Thank you all for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The whole universe ... the whole boundless universe made of fire air water earth and anything more ... fits easily in this box.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    June,

That's truly beautiful and inspired! It is so lovely that it is portable, I'd love to make one some day.

Thank you for sharing,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    I was definitely looking for portability because our house is full of clutter and it tucks away easily. All told, it probably took me about an hour. You should try it! It was very rewarding and excepting some texting breaks, it was a peaceful, mindful project!

Gassho to all,
    June

#SatToday

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast