Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: home altar

PPPPS - One more ... a Japanese Buddhist priest (not Soto, but it would probably would not be so different) removing the spirits from old Buddhist Altars and other family objects. Recall that in Japan, the home Altar (Butsudan) is the place where the spirits of passed Ancestors are said to reside. On acquiring a new Altar, the Ancestors need to move house ...

It is an interesting question as to whether such beliefs in "Ancestor Spirits in the Butsudan" is even consistent with traditional Buddhist beliefs in rebirth.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    The wall hangings? They're really nice, where did you find them?
    PS I thought that typo was so funny, perhaps it's the irreverence of the British sense of humour
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    I have to resist the urge a lot on here to make jokes in the tone of my twisted-British humoUr. Sometimes Kokuu tries to encourage, bad unsui, bad.

I got them off eBay, chance finding looking for something else, so you want me to send the sellers info? They’re from Japan, I think they come from Sosoji or Eiheiji.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    PPPS - Isn't that candle a bit close to the scroll of Bodhidharma, Chishou? All things are impermanent, but no need to rush it.
    Thank you, Jundo.

I imagined this would be the answer. I was just curious more than anything. My “Welcome home” ceremony happens every time I look at it as it fills me with a little warmth.

Point taken on fire safety, I know Bodhidharma was hot stuff, but I will move it a little further away.

Deep bows to you both,

Chishou
    Sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    I have to resist the urge a lot on here to make jokes in the tone of my twisted-British humoUr. Sometimes Kokuu tries to encourage, bad unsui, bad.

I got them off eBay, chance finding looking for something else, so you want me to send the sellers info? They’re from Japan, I think they come from Sosoji or Eiheiji.

Thank you, Jundo.

I imagined this would be the answer. I was just curious more than anything. My “Welcome home” ceremony happens every time I look at it as it fills me with a little warmth.

Point taken on fire safety, I know Bodhidharma was hot stuff, but I will move it a little further away.

Deep bows to you both,

Chishou
    Sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, if you could PM me the details that would be fab, although if Paypal is involved it will probably be a no-go. You could always get a led candle!
    Thank you Jundo for the information, I really enjoyed reading through all of that.

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Eishuu
    I've got battery candles - they're great. You can even get ones that flicker like real candles.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Eishuu View Post
    I've got battery candles - they're great. You can even get ones that flicker like real candles.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH
    Yes, I found a lantern with a faux candle in our local supermarket, I love it and I'm definitely going to get some more battery candles. Real candles make me quite nervous, even tea lights - in my previous life I was responsible for a lot of Health and Safety stuff and it's left its mark - I see potential disasters everywhere
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Yes, I have a home alter. Afterdeliberation I r
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

I meant to say that my home alter follows the path of my own ideas. This reflects family and Buddha! I use it for personal mediation.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

altaar.jpg

i use a little oil lamp in stead of candles.

coos

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    altaar.jpg

i use a little oil lamp in stead of candles.

coos

std
    That's lovely coos, I particularly like the simple flower arrangement, it's beautiful.
    Gassho
    Meitou

satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    That's lovely coos, I particularly like the simple flower arrangement, it's beautiful.
    Gassho
    Meitou

satwithyoualltoday/lah
    thank you, Meitou

coos

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thought I'd add my little altar, which was finally completed today - been waiting since January for the incense holders.

IMG_20180404_162205.jpg

And while waiting I picked up this 3"x2,5" box carving as a travelling altar, knowing I'd be returning to the UK sometime soon, which turned out to be sooner than i would have liked but its a nice pocket size to carry at my mum's funeral.

IMG_20180404_115326.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Some minor adjustments and a little downsizing, following some welcome advice on Japanese numerology from Shokai - too much bad/not bad luck so far this year.

IMG_20180405_074709.jpg

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Some minor adjustments and a little downsizing, following some welcome advice on Japanese numerology from Shokai - too much bad/not bad luck so far this year.

IMG_20180405_074709.jpg
    Very nice Seishin!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Oh, Shokai must have told you about the "Shi" (which means "4" but is also a homonym for "death") and Ku ("9" but also "suffering") in Japanese, so you changed the burners to three. Many hotels and hospitals don's have rooms or floors with 4 or 9.

When I had my operation last December, there was no operating theatre numbered "4" or "9" in the Japanese hospital. However, by chance, I had my operation in room "13" on the 13th of the month!

When I mentioned this to my doctor, he said "Oh, 13 is fine in Japan, so don't worry." He was right it seems.

I would not worry about it much. Knock on wood.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo

I'm with the Italians with 13 (good) and used to have the Ace Of Spades tucked inside my crash helmet when I was a teenager and could never resist the chance to walk under ladders to my parents dismay. After the year so far I took Shokai's advice and took two of the burners off, now sitting with my Chinese clay figures and just left the two on the altar. But I've just realized with your comment on Ku, I now have 9 items ..... mmm. Well life is suffering, so I'll guess I'll take my chances for now and just keep sitting, until something pops up on ebay

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I like the version with the fewer items.
    3*3 bows (9) is something good in Zen, too. (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha squared).

No triskaidekaphobia over here (was born on a 13th).
    If I remember right, the 13 is something good in Israel / Judaism, too.
    13 is the age of religious maturity (Bar Mizwa).
    In Gematria? (mysticism) 13 is the numerical value of "love" and "(the) one" (God).

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Kotei. Decided to go for the middle ground and have three burners.

IMG_20180406_094241.jpg

Looks clearer in this mornings sunshine.
    No more changes, for now at least/

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Now your talking, Looks great; well done Seishin

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/