Thread: Zen Tiger Temple

Zen Tiger Temple

I saw this on the news last night. Very interesting. In the broadcast version, which I can't find, the abbot talked about caring for the tigers as a means of putting their Buddhism into practice. He also talked about the good karma they were generating. Anyway, had to share, and am curious as to what folks think.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6482963

Re: Zen Tiger Temple

Hi Alan,

The subject of the Tiger Temple (Thai Buddhist Tigers, by the way, not Zen Buddhist Tigers ) came up awhile back, and some of the controversy (there are critics and critics of the critics). I have no idea myself, except to say that I let tigers be tigers.

Have a look here for some information that Hans and Will provided ...

viewtopic.php?p=12634#p12634

Leads me to recall the Tiger Koan ...

A man walking across a field encounters a tiger. He fled, the tiger chasing after him. Coming to a cliff, he caught hold of a wild vine and swung himself over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Terrified, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger had come, waiting to eat him. Two mice, one white and one black, little by little began to gnaw away at the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine in one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!

Thai Buddhist Tigers, by the way, not Zen Buddhist Tigers
    Oops! I should have known better.

Yeh I saw a documentary on that some while ago, al I can say it that it was a bit odd

In gassho, Kev